lightda

Rank I

Contributor III

CT, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
LIGHT
Two years ago behind the house we had a guy mauled by a griz looking for antler. He had borrowed a friend's pistol the day before. While he was being mauled he was able to get one shot into the bears head and that saved him.
Habait is a wonderful camper Lightda! Many of the places you mentioned may not have grizzlies. Do your research and see. Black bears are usually not an issue as it sounds like you know. Up in your house if you run into an issue, will buy you time and distance if you run into an issue. Better than a ground tent! Bear spray is always the best option in my opinion. I do both thus giving me more options. Most folks don't realize that if they choose a handgun also for protection, make sure you buy grizzly bear loads. Not human defense rounds! Don't want the bullet to expand rather penetrate. Usually some form of hard cast bullet. Lots of options these days as this round technology has evolved. Take all the advice people are providing on this thread and educate yourself on the areas again. Welcome to the Scardy Cat Club.
Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, the Habitat has been pretty sweet so far. It's built like a tank.
My original plan for bear protection was to bring my brother along because I can run faster than him. :) He is staying put in FL so I'll be solo for this trip. I don't think a gun is right for me but bear spray and air horn for certain. I'll also be talking to BLM and NFS rangers for advice. Thanks again for your input and Scardy Cats unite!

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Yes, the western bears are emerging from winter hibernation. Yellowstone reported their first sighting of a grizzly on March 8. They’re hungry and grumpy, much like me each morning before coffee (I rarely bite, just growl a bit). This is not a good time to be hiking or shed hunting alone in their territory.
Don’t dismiss black bears, either. In 2014, a young man hiking with friends in a New Jersey park was killed by a black bear. Last summer, a guy in NJ was attacked in his garage by a black bear. It was allegedly trying to get into his refrigerator. Smart critter!

lightda

Rank I

Contributor III

CT, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
LIGHT
Yes, the western bears are emerging from winter hibernation. Yellowstone reported their first sighting of a grizzly on March 8. They’re hungry and grumpy, much like me each morning before coffee (I rarely bite, just growl a bit). This is not a good time to be hiking or shed hunting alone in their territory.
Don’t dismiss black bears, either. In 2014, a young man hiking with friends in a New Jersey park was killed by a black bear. Last summer, a guy in NJ was attacked in his garage by a black bear. It was allegedly trying to get into his refrigerator. Smart critter!
Thanks for the input. I think the number one risk factor for me is being out there by myself. To a predator, a group of people is simply more off-putting than an isolated, individual target. At camp, bears are the most likely visitors and most able to attempt to get into the cap my rooftop tent is built on. On the trail, the odds are much higher of a serendipitous encounter with an apex predator when by yourself. I don't totally discount black bears but I've dealt with them often enough to know they are generally deterred by noise.

lightda

Rank I

Contributor III

CT, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
LIGHT
Yes two members now! Should create a sticker or patch! Spot in and do some fly fishing if you pass by us. Mark
Huh, Wind River??? That's on my agenda for 2023. I talked on the phone with a wildlife biologist out there last year who said the Sweetwater River (I think) had "more rattlesnakes than I've ever seen anywhere". That's a bit south and east of Wind River but it would be part of a Wyoming trip. My fantasy is to start at the headwaters of the Green River and follow it south, wading and camping.
If I survive my Wyoming trip this summer I should have Grizzly, wolf, and maybe rattlesnake merit badges from the Fraidy Cat Club. The only time you're likely to see a mountain lion is when it's attacking you. Sneaky ambushers. Those merit badges tend to be awarded posthumously.