BCBrian's 2015 Nissan Xterra PRO4X

• HTML tutorial

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I bought this rig to replace my 2010 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 that was totaled in a multi rollover accident in Oct 2015. You can see pictures and read about that accident here - http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f15/my-frontier-gave-s-life-save-mine-218089/.

While I miss having the truck bed to carry gear and firewood, this platform is much more capable off road and also is just big enough for me to sleep in. The rear locker has proven itself as a great addition on many trail runs and the heated seats are great for my bad back in cold weather.

Here it is the day I brought it home -

Xterra comes home 001.JPG Xterra comes home 004.JPG Xterra comes home 009.JPG Xterra comes home 016.JPG

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

The modifications began almost immediately! The first thing I did was to install the newly refinished Hefty Fabworks skid plates from the Frontier. The transfer case skid required some cutting and welding as the Frontier version is much longer than the Xterra version.

Next came the suspension which was checked over by Greg at PRG after being removed from the totaled truck. The PRG UCAs received new heim joints and the Radflo 2.5" dia shocks got all new seals and fluid. At 1300 miles we pulled the stock suspension parts and swapped in the refurbished parts to get the X up a little. I chose to replace the rear leaf springs with the OME MD leaf pack as I had already found the stock leafs far too soft and prone to bottoming out on the bump stops.

These parts had given me 2.8"s of lift on the Frontier but since the PRO4X suspension is about 1" taller from the factory, they yielded about 1.8" of lift on the new Xterra. I am fine with staying a little lower as the X is a little top heavy and its superior entry and exit angles and shorter wheelbase provide more clearance already.

Here is the suspension install with a shot of the stock front setup and the results for comparison -004.JPG 002.JPG 005.JPG 035.JPG

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Next came some more armor in the form of a set of White Knuckle Off Road sliders. I chose these over several other manufacturers because of the design that includes a bump out at the rear and their reputation for quality and fast delivery. I received them only 5 weeks after placing my order.

The bump out has saved my sheet metal several times already.

004.JPG 006.JPG 005.JPG 001.JPG

Last edited:

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

DruTrac's.jpg DuraTrac's 1.jpg DuraTrac's 2.jpg 285's.JPG Next came a little height in the form of some 285/75-16 Goodyear DuraTrac's in load range E. While the Hankook Dynapro ATm's are very good tires, I wanted to upsize and when I got my local tire shop to match Discount Tire's sale price, I just couldn't pass up the deal! The larger size required a minor modification to the pinch weld at the bottom of the fender and a little work on the fender liner with a heat gun. In the Nissan world this is referred to as the 'Melt Mod'.

DruTrac's.jpg DuraTrac's 1.jpg DuraTrac's 2.jpg 285's.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovrlnd and ASNOBODY

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

The CB from the truck also made it's way into the X with a new Wilson Flex 4' antenna. I like having the radio hidden from view, so it was installed under the drivers seat. The cable for the antenna enters the cab through the vent on the back of the wheel well.

012.JPG 005.JPG

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I wheeled the rig like this for about 1 year and while it performed very well on the trail, there were a couple shortcomings that kept popping up. The trailer hitch was the limiting factor on exit and was becoming a problem as I attempted harder terrain. I had left it on because it was my rear recovery point. You can see how far down the hitch sits in the 1st photo. I solved that issue by installing Habitat Offroads rear recovery points and a pair of shackles.

IMG_4768.JPG IMG_4773.JPG IMG_4771.JPG IMG_4777.JPG

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

As I began planning some overlanding adventures later this year, I knew I had to come up with a way to carry fuel, traction boards and my High Lift jack. I copied an idea I found on TheNewX, with a few changes and now have a low profile roof rack capable of carrying these items. This rack is made from a 10' piece of Uni Strut, some 1 1/4" X 1/8" steel and various hardware available at my local Ace Hardware along with some Hi Lift mounts designed for Jeep hood hinges. The mounts are from McMaster Carr. The steel was inserted into the Uni Strut to strengthen it and increase the load carrying capability.

IMG_4712.JPG IMG_4709.JPG IMG_4717.JPG

Last edited:

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

After running into the fire pit in camp at Hollister, I began the decision making process for choosing a new bumper. There are several different manufacturers that make them for the X but I kept coming back to Shrockworks. With the help of Maktruk and JR D40, we finally got the new bumper installed this past weekend. I am super happy with my decision and can't wait to test the increased entry angle. I decided to wait on installing a winch for now as I am trying to keep the weight down on my daily driver.

IMG_4816.JPG

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Awesome X! I had the same problem with the hitch. They are such a pain to take off. Well at least mine was. Ill have to pick up those recovery points for the rear. That should work out great until i save for a rear bumper/tire carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: BCBrian

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

The rear lower shock mounts on the Xterra hang down and are vulnerable to rock damage. Mine had already taken some hits and sustained some minor damage. I decided to buy the bolt on skids that NissTec offers since they were on sale for about $100. The install is relatively simple and now they're protected.

IMG_4828.JPG IMG_4829.JPG IMG_4831.JPG

Reactions: ASNOBODY and TerryD

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Really like the Nisstec skids for the rear shocks ... what trails (or color trails) did you run at goneMoab? I'm hoping to do it next year, but because my X is my DD, I don't want to do anything too risky. BTW, how long of a wait did you have for the Shrockworks bumper?

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Really like the Nisstec skids for the rear shocks ... what trails (or color trails) did you run at goneMoab? I'm hoping to do it next year, but because my X is my DD, I don't want to do anything too risky. BTW, how long of a wait did you have for the Shrockworks bumper?
I threw myself into the fire with my 1st trail being Poison Spider Mesa which is red (2nd and 4th photo's). I also ran Seven Mile Rim, Tip Toe Behind The Rocks, Bartlett Overlook and Porcupine Rim which are listed as blue trails. Even the blue trails had some pretty tough spots but I made it through everything in my DD with just a few skid and slider hits and a little minor damage to the stock rear bumper and plastic corners. I did skip 3 or 4 of the optional challenges that could have resulted in more damage. There are many trails to choose from which can be done with minimal risk of damage. Sliders and aftermarket skid plates are a good idea even on green trails.

My next purchase for my rig will be a maXTERRA rear bumper.

The Shrockworks front bumper arrived in just under 3 months after I placed the order and was well worth the wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itacal

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I threw myself into the fire with my 1st trail being Poison Spider Mesa which is red (1st and 3rd photo's). I also ran Seven Mile Rim, Tip Toe Behind The Rocks, Bartlett Overlook and Porcupine Rim which are listed as blue trails. Even the blue trails had some pretty tough spots but I made it through everything in my DD with just a few skid and slider hits and a little minor damage to the stock rear bumper and plastic corners. I did skip 3 or 4 of the optional challenges that could have resulted in more damage. There are many trails to choose from which can be done with minimal risk of damage. Sliders and aftermarket skid plates are a good idea even on green trails.

My next purchase for my rig will be a maxTERRA rear bumper.

The Shrockworks front bumper arrived in just under 5 months after I placed the order and was well worth the wait.
Looks awesome ... Keep the pics coming ... The X is such a great platform if you're willing to put in the time, and money. I have just started modding mine ... Planning on getting with Greg at PRG in the near future and doing a full replacement of the suspension. Good luck with the build!

Reactions: BCBrian

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Since I figured I needed an alignment after my Moab adventure, I finally got around to adjusting my coil overs for a little more height. Ever since I installed my old suspension from my Frontier on the X the passenger side front was about 3/8" lower than the drivers side, so I evened it out while going up about 3/4" overall. Before this change the front was 1" lower than the rear.

My ground to fender measurements are now at -
37" in front and 37 1/4" in back

When I got my alignment earlier today the tech said it was so close that he was only going to charge me for an alignment check
which saved me $50!