Rank II

Member I

Northern California
First Name
David
Last Name
Gravlin
Member #

We are planning to spend a few weeks in BC in July on our way to Alaska. We'll cross the border at Nelway or Frontier, and eventually get to Kootenay Lake. At this point, we are looking at two options. One would take us northwest and west, passing through Kamloops and Pemberton. We'd do an overland loop described here: https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/post/cariboo-chilcotin-backcountry-trail-seg-1 before turning back north towards Prince George. The other option would take us east and then northwest up through the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Jasper, etc...). We want our trip to be more of an adventure than simply a chance to hit the typical tourists spots - while I am sure those areas are popular for a reason, we'd like to avoid the overcrowded destinations. Our rigs are capable, and we have overland experience. Ideal campsites would be dispersed (bush) sites or uncrowded developed sites near lakes or streams for fishing. We bring an inflatable boat with an electric motor. On our return from Alaska, we plan to catch the ferry out of Skagway, down the Inside Passage to Bellingham, WA. Thanks in advance for any insight and advice. We have the full BRMB set for BC, as well as the Milepost book.

KaneNorth

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Hudson's Hope British Columbia
First Name
Brody
Last Name
Kane
Member #

We are planning to spend a few weeks in BC in July on our way to Alaska. We'll cross the border at Nelway or Frontier, and eventually get to Kootenay Lake. At this point, we are looking at two options. One would take us northwest and west, passing through Kamloops and Pemberton. We'd do an overland loop described here: Cariboo-Chilcotin Backcountry Trail (segment 1) before turning back north towards Prince George. The other option would take us east and then northwest up through the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Jasper, etc...). We want our trip to be more of an adventure than simply a chance to hit the typical tourists spots - while I am sure those areas are popular for a reason, we'd like to avoid the overcrowded destinations. Our rigs are capable, and we have overland experience. Ideal campsites would be dispersed (bush) sites or uncrowded developed sites near lakes or streams for fishing. We bring an inflatable boat with an electric motor. On our return from Alaska, we plan to catch the ferry out of Skagway, down the Inside Passage to Bellingham, WA. Thanks in advance for any insight and advice. We have the full BRMB set for BC, as well as the Milepost book.
I would take the first route. Though you may want to join the BC Four wheel drive association Facebook page to inquire about the condition of the mud lake to poison mountain portion if you intend on going that way as I seem to recall hearing about one of the access routes getting gated during the pandemic and it’s been a while since I’ve been that way so unsure if it has been re opened

Island Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Veerkamp
Member #

We are planning to spend a few weeks in BC in July on our way to Alaska. We'll cross the border at Nelway or Frontier, and eventually get to Kootenay Lake. At this point, we are looking at two options. One would take us northwest and west, passing through Kamloops and Pemberton. We'd do an overland loop described here: Cariboo-Chilcotin Backcountry Trail (segment 1) before turning back north towards Prince George. The other option would take us east and then northwest up through the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Jasper, etc...). We want our trip to be more of an adventure than simply a chance to hit the typical tourists spots - while I am sure those areas are popular for a reason, we'd like to avoid the overcrowded destinations. Our rigs are capable, and we have overland experience. Ideal campsites would be dispersed (bush) sites or uncrowded developed sites near lakes or streams for fishing. We bring an inflatable boat with an electric motor. On our return from Alaska, we plan to catch the ferry out of Skagway, down the Inside Passage to Bellingham, WA. Thanks in advance for any insight and advice. We have the full BRMB set for BC, as well as the Milepost book.
The overland route near pemberton was on my radar last summer. With all the fires in the province we had to change plans.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Rather than getting into a lengthy answer with discussion of all of the potential aspects, I'd go with the western option, based on your preferences.

IceIceBaby42

Rank VII

World Traveler I

Santa Clara, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Hey Dgravlin,

How was the trip? Any part of this route that would change or avoid? A small group of us are looking to head up that way this June, just looking for a little advise. Thnx.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Hey Dgravlin,

How was the trip? Any part of this route that would change or avoid? A small group of us are looking to head up that way this June, just looking for a little advise. Thnx.
Since it seems that you don't plan on following the route taken, it may be of interest to consider the way we went last year. We did not enter Alaska, but our route took us close to several crossing points. Happy to offer thoughts if it helps. Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 15.50.03.png

Reactions: IceIceBaby42

dgravlin

Rank II

Member I

Northern California
First Name
David
Last Name
Gravlin
Member #

The trip was awesome. The only thing I'd change is to be able to spend more time. A month was not enough.

Hey Dgravlin,

nd

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@IceIceBaby42 a couple of things there can be snow on some of the higher off-road passes in June around 6400M in shady spots you can have a couple of feet.

We have a pretty good provincial reporting service for roads, not always up to date but it can give you an idea.

Resource road safety information - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca) use the region list on the left not the bottom

BC Highway Closures - British Columbia Highway News for hiway issues

What you call dispersed camping is pretty much the go-to up here, just get off on the main FSR and it is generally pretty quiet.

I have covered most of the lower half of the province off-road, and would be happy to answer questions

IceIceBaby42

Rank VII

World Traveler I

First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Jones
Member #

@IceIceBaby42 a couple of things there can be snow on some of the higher off-road passes in June around 6400M in shady spots you can have a couple of feet.

We have a pretty good provincial reporting service for roads, not always up to date but it can give you an idea.

Resource road safety information - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca) use the region list on the left not the bottom

BC Highway Closures - British Columbia Highway News for hiway issues

What you call dispersed camping is pretty much the go-to up here, just get off on the main FSR and it is generally pretty quiet.

I have covered most of the lower half of the province off-road, and would be happy to answer questions
Thanks this is great and useful information. Looking forward to this trip. Are there any must see places?We are staying south of Prince George.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@IceIceBaby42 That is a tough one, I live here and tend to avoid touristy places. It kind of depends on where you are, as to what is worth seeing, we have a lot less outside of the general Vancouver area than you will find down south, and large portions of BC are pretty empty.

Barkerville is nice if you are in that area and want to stretch your legs for an hour.
If you get to Vancouver Island the drive to Tofino/Uclulet is great, but there is functionally zero camping anymore as they turned the area into a National park, and you come out the way you went in
Telegraph Cove is also worth a stop.
The FSR over the Hurley pass into Gold Bridge/Bralorne is a decent drive, and Bralorne is a large Semi ghost town you can wander about. There is a fair bit of camping in that general area.
Alternately you can go past Anderson lake and Seaton Portage, but the climb out of Seaton Portage is long switchback road, nice views though
The Big Bar ferry is great but a long haul from the hi way on both sides, it is river-powered and kind of cool way to cross the river.
The corridor up the Rockies between Jasper and Banff is nice but the towns are very very big Tourist traps - on that one check the road conditions from Golden to Revelstoke as there are often long 1 to 2-hour delays if there is construction

I will think if there is anything more that comes to mind.

IceIceBaby42

Rank VII

World Traveler I

First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Jones
Member #

@IceIceBaby42 That is a tough one, I live here and tend to avoid touristy places. It kind of depends on where you are, as to what is worth seeing, we have a lot less outside of the general Vancouver area than you will find down south, and large portions of BC are pretty empty.

Barkerville is nice if you are in that area and want to stretch your legs for an hour.
If you get to Vancouver Island the drive to Tofino/Uclulet is great, but there is functionally zero camping anymore as they turned the area into a National park, and you come out the way you went in
Telegraph Cove is also worth a stop.
The FSR over the Hurley pass into Gold Bridge/Bralorne is a decent drive, and Bralorne is a large Semi ghost town you can wander about. There is a fair bit of camping in that general area.
Alternately you can go past Anderson lake and Seaton Portage, but the climb out of Seaton Portage is long switchback road, nice views though
The Big Bar ferry is great but a long haul from the hi way on both sides, it is river-powered and kind of cool way to cross the river.
The corridor up the Rockies between Jasper and Banff is nice but the towns are very very big Tourist traps - on that one check the road conditions from Golden to Revelstoke as there are often long 1 to 2-hour delays if there is construction

I will think if there is anything more that comes to mind.
Thank you again. Yes we are going to Vancouver Island and Torino gonna stay at Surf Grove for a few days.
Then head over towards Yoho National park. But a Canadian Ghost town does sound awesome.
Goal is to end up in Glacier National Park and Yellowstone NP.