• HTML tutorial

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

Friends,

TL;DR: recommend me a place to take my rig to get it wrapped for some paint protection.

We often take our rig in to really tight trails and it is taking a toll on the paint job. We are looking for a recommendation of a place where we can take our JKU and get it wrapped, I do not care if the wrap will look scratched but more concerned about the paint underneath.

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

Found a shop that we like, we are currently working on the design but looking for other shops to talk to. So far our investigation shows that these epex or self healing materials aren't worth the extra money for the damage we are going to subject them to.

theoriginalgiga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Chaney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WFI
I was just coming here to ask about people's experiences/recommendations for paint protection! So far the quotes I've gotten are around the 4K mark covering up to the bottom of the windows. I'd like to do clear as I'm quite enamored with the color of my truck. both shops I've talked to have recommended Xpel brand due to the clarity of it. does anyone have any suggestions on paint protection or is the wrap the best option?

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

I was just coming here to ask about people's experiences/recommendations for paint protection! So far the quotes I've gotten are around the 4K mark covering up to the bottom of the windows. I'd like to do clear as I'm quite enamored with the color of my truck. both shops I've talked to have recommended Xpel brand due to the clarity of it. does anyone have any suggestions on paint protection or is the wrap the best option?
I got in touch with 3 shops, 2 of them wanted to do xpel when I contacted them with my needs and what I was trying to protect the car from, it was around 4K... all pre-cut stuff and some areas where going to remain unprotected.
The other shop quoted me ~$2.5K and recommended just vinyl as long as I did not cared about scratched vinyl and just wanted to protect the paint. They recommended vinyl after seeing my car in person, they allowed me to test some vinyl with a key to see how strong it was. and how it would look after a scratch.

So far our plan is for printed vinyl with our own design (printed vinyl is 2 layers, one where you print and another one that protects the print) and get a STIHL MSA 140C electric chain saw for the thicker stuff. Saw a couple from Sacramento clearing the road where we had just scratched our car 30 minutes earlier using this and it was smaller than I though.