Bay Area New Years off the grid?

• HTML tutorial

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

What is "near" in your book? Hard to get off the grid in the bay area. Dunno what the snow situation is in Stanislaus National Forest, but you shouldnt need to head too far up in elevation to start hitting some forest roads and get off the grid.

tgithens

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Member #

What is "near" in your book? Hard to get off the grid in the bay area. Dunno what the snow situation is in Stanislaus National Forest, but you shouldnt need to head too far up in elevation to start hitting some forest roads and get off the grid.
New to the area but learning fast that its indeed hard to get off the grid. 3-4 hr drive would be within limits...I was just browsing around looking at the Stanislaus...maybe a good option...

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

New to the area but learning fast that its indeed hard to get off the grid. 3-4 hr drive would be within limits...I was just browsing around looking at the Stanislaus...maybe a good option...
Enter the national forest at Sonora. Take the road to Crandall OHV area. Take the forest road to 38.17796, -120.12311. That is my spot. Perfect clearing, right off the forest road.

Here is the gpx file for my favorite little clearing:

Reactions: tgithens

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

thats a great spot! so many good places around there. last time we went up, so many folks hunting around so dont go wondering off hahah

Reactions: tgithens

tgithens

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Member #

Awesome! Thx for sharing the spot, hopefully I can get out of here at a reasonable time to check it out.

I moved from Lubbock in August...loving HMB. Cheers!

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

China Camp was OK. Remote area yet close to Monterrey / Carmel Valley is nice. Road is fine in 2wd when it's dry (although I always take the opportunity to work out my 4wd system). First night was great - solitude... 2nd night 6 young guy showed up. They were generally OK - just guys - but they laughed and giggled all night. They seemed a little scared of the old man and his 9mm (open carry in national forest camp site). Overall a good trip. Tried out my new gear (Rightline truck tent, home-made platform...). I might go back.

Reactions: Rosie the Runner