Bay Area, CA; Slick Rock Trail - Difficulty?

• HTML tutorial

❤️Lovey❤️

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California
Member #

Slick Rock has gotten much more difficult over the last 5-10 years. Your rigs should be capable of the trail, but it definitely takes some offroading experience to avoid damage. I agree with the above suggestion to run Corral Hollow (specifically the eastern section) first, Slick Rock is significantly more difficult than that.

If you do run Slick Rock I suggest heading in from the southern end near Utica Resevoir. There are some nice camp sites after you cross the bridge over the river, and the most difficult obstacles are shortly after that. The first obstacle is a large step at the end of the campsite, keep walking about 5 minutes past that and you'll come across a steep and rocky downhill section. This is usually the most difficult part of the trail for most rigs.

More pictures...

Ooops.. plus his bumper cover fell off on the first step and he tore one of the welds on a rock slider.
Absolutely love [emoji173]️ these first is my favorite!!!

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
Great pictures, thank you! Organizing a trip there with my group in a couple of weeks! Looks like most got through without monster tires. A lift and sliders seem to do the trick there??

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I haven't been out there in a decade, but it's good to know that its apparently gotten harder. Last time I ran that trail I was in my old Xj with 31's and a winch...

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

Did you do the run recently? Looks like there's still snow on the trail!
We ran Slick Rock last Saturday and there is no snow on the trail. There are a couple of small muddy spots at the Lake Alpine side but they will probably be dry in the next week. As discussed in earlier posts, the new trail reroute section is now the most difficult section of the trail and will effectively block the easy access to the camping area on the slabs by the creek for many milder built rigs.

We ran from Alpine to Spicer and back and the most challenging point was on the way back at the first obstacle of the new reroute section (By the new gate that used to be the trail entrance). The hill climb is getting dug out so that a group of Cherokees on 33's had to winch a couple of their rigs up this climb. The ones with front and rear lockers were able to get up with a lot of rock stacking and grinding sliders. If I was bringing a mildly build rig to do the trail I would run from the lower end through the steps and back out, which is exactly the opposite of the old easy route.

Just my .02 cents. But anybody who hasn't driven the new reroute and is concerned should walk it before heading in from the top.

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
Great info! I'll keep that in mind Saturday and glad to hear the snow will more than likely be gone. Did you get a chance to see how busy Lake Alpine Campground was?

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

Campground at Alpine was full and the Spicer end had more campers than I've ever seen. Odd for the weekend after a holiday.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Any pictures of the reroute section would be very useful.

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
Probably due to the late start to the camping/trail runs up there from the snow. Appreciate the info!

SuperExplorer

Rank 0

Traveler I

We just did slick rock this past weekend as well. Saw you on the trail a couple times Mr. Fixit, I was in the red Explorer. This was my first time doing the trail and my 94 Explorer, on 35s, spooled rear end, open front end made it through relatively easy. We went from the southern entrance to Lake Alpine. The new section was not too difficult, just had to back up and re position once, no extra rock stacking. But I did do the "rock pile" at the end and that did take a lot of rock stacking and I smacked a tree and cracked my rear fiberglass. I should not have attempted this line, but the before mentioned group of cherokees were stuck on the bypass and we did not want to wait any longer.

Overall it was a great trail, and wish we could have camped. The weather was perfect out there. And yes we had a mini snow ball fight with my buddy's 2 year old son with what small piles of snow were left.

Reactions: JKU Ray

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
I've heard most people say they started at the southern end instead of by Alpine Lake. Any particular reason why? I'm leading a small group up there Saturday (all first timers) and just trying to get info on what's best for the group. Thanks!

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

SuperExplorer

Rank 0

Traveler I

From what I saw, on the southern end you climb up most obstacles instead of just going down them. Also the big slab area I would not want to go down in my truck with older brakes, my friend said they're basically foot to the floor the whole way down unless you have a really good crawl ratio as well.

saijintrunks

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Phommaa
I've heard most people say they started at the southern end instead of by Alpine Lake. Any particular reason why? I'm leading a small group up there Saturday (all first timers) and just trying to get info on what's best for the group. Thanks!
Man, wish I can join but have prior arrangements. Maybe next time, what trail is planned for Sunday?

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
Yeah too bad, its going to be beautiful out there! We're doing Barney Riley off of Hwy. 89, near Markleeville, Sunday

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Grove, CA 95690, USA
First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

I ran Slick Rock Saturday morning early. I would say that the easiest path would be Alpine to Utica. Gravity was very helpful coming down the last section of the re-route. I used both front and rear bumpers, both sliders and every skid plate that day. I have a write-up with pics and lics to video below.

Personally, 33's and some serious skill could make it, but the reroute has added a new level to the trail.

Trip write up

Post to video

Reactions: JKU Ray