ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Interesting article I read this morning in the LA Times. There is a push by a mining company to dig exploratory wells in Death Valley dry lake beds in the quest for lithium. This is the first I heard of it, but an interesting issue to face. They need lithium for green energy, but do we destroy part of a natural habitat to get it? They mentioned Panamint Springs area several times.
A war is brewing over lithium mining at the edge of Death Valley

M

Reactions: MazeVX

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Interesting article I read this morning in the LA Times. There is a push by a mining company to dig exploratory wells in Death Valley dry lake beds in the quest for lithium. This is the first I heard of it, but an interesting issue to face. They need lithium for green energy, but do we destroy part of a natural habitat to get it? They mentioned Panamint Springs area several times.

M
And yet there are old mines all over the place in the Panament area, including some still in use. How much activity, probably very low. A lot of acreage was added to the park in the last decade or so. I have mixed feelings on this, and will need more info before I can make a educated decision. If outside the original boundaries, especially in the Panament area, then that will be easier. If it's over the Mountain, in the Park itself, it if would be a definite no! 97800Behind the sign, and the mountains in the background is the Death Valley everyone recognizes, Stove Pipe Wells, Furnace Creek, Scotty's castle ,. Devils Cornfield, and the Dunes....and Badwater,......etc

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

M
That depends on how Lithium is mined or harvested. Do you know how it is done ? I think most things that are needed by mankind can be obtained without destruction of the surrounding habitat. But we have to make it clear to the caretakers that we will be watching and ready to close them down if our concerns are not met. Setting the standards for anything is always a concern as we all have different standards by which we live and hope others will do the same. There will probably be a lot of flak on this issue.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

M
So, after reading the LA article I don't see a need for Lithium mining at Death Valley since there are other mining operations on going already and different minerals that can do the same thing. I hope they just leave Death Valley alone since it is not a life or death issue.

Reactions: MoreGone
Tuning in to see how this turns out for sure as DV is one of my favorite spots. To me, the desolation is the best part, along with few people (off the beaten path anyway). Aside from potential environmental damage, just bringing more activity to the park would be bad IMO. I just hope it remains fairly anonymous on Instagram or we'll have a whole different animal on our hands there.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Tuning in to see how this turns out for sure as DV is one of my favorite spots. To me, the desolation is the best part, along with few people (off the beaten path anyway). Aside from potential environmental damage, just bringing more activity to the park would be bad IMO. I just hope it remains fairly anonymous on Instagram or we'll have a whole different animal on our hands there.
I recently watched a video by one of the youtubers. He has for or five videos he mad about of mining cabins scattered around in this one site. It appeared to me that most of the damage being done there is from the tourist. So called art work by the freaked out artisan group has permanently damaged the mining sites, even inside the old mines there is graffiti and trash left by someone. A group of OB people have complaining about another OB'er leaving some trailer fenders on one of the trail. In the video's I watched there is plenty of car and truck parts laying around many places that the park service evidently wants to leave there. My point being the park service isn't doing anything about it either. I think the title of that thread was one mans trash, another mans treasure.

Please keep in mind DV is a National park and everyone is entitled to go there. That is good, The bad is that not everyone respects things and it is those that can just stay home if they cant do their part in keeping our historic site clean and free of modern human waste.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign