Rank II

Enthusiast I

203 East Broadway Avenue, Pierre, South Dakota 57501, United States
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Wexler
Member #

Hey crew...I have been running an Odyssey Group 34 AGM battery for the past couple years. I added an SPOD to my 4runner this past January 2022 and love the concept.

My problem is a parasitic draw of sorts. I left my vehicle sit for 1 week while on a family vacation and the 4runner was dead. I have one of the Odyssey smart charging systems to rejuvenate the battery and was good to go. 6 weeks later, this morning I had a real weak crank on my 4runner. This time it only sat overnight.

I don't leave any accessories turned on through the SPOD at all. The SPOD is also supposed to have a low voltage shut off, but again, in both cases the SPOD accessories were all shut off.

I've also been told the 5th gen 4runner alternator will never fully charge my AGM battery and yes, I live in a small town with many short trips as well.

Any advise on where to start exploring? Any other SPOD users able to weigh in?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I would email Spod on this. Your going to get too many "opinions". They would be able to tell you how much draw the unit has. "If" you were able to bring the battery back, I seriously doubt the SPod would weaken the battery overnight unless something was wrong with it. It takes a serious draw to do that.
They will probably tell you to have the battery tested and unhook the unit to see if the problem goes away. If I was diagnosing it, I would want to prove if it is or isn't the SPod then go from there.

As for your 4runner not properly charging your AGM, I have been running AGM's for decades without "proper" charging. The difference is slight and to me unnoticeable.