Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Moreno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Nacho
Instead of factory battery, for a better durable strong battery? Any recommendations? Oddesy? North Star?

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Reactions: YOTA4FUN

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

Instead of factory battery, for a better durable strong battery? Any recommendations? Oddesy? North Star?
Personally I haven’t ever found that the high end starter batteries for 2-3x the price have ever offered near the equivalent performance upgrade.

Great testers like Project Farm and also places like consumer reports have consistently found that basic brands like EverStart outperform or have equivalent performance and are significantly less cost and have better warranties and more widely available replacement locations.

You will still need to size whatever battery setup you use to what you will be powering. On a starter battery Reserve Capacity is one of the most telling numbers you want to look for.

Keep a small lithium jump pack on hand or your dual battery system and your jumper cables and you should have plenty of options.

Last edited:

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

The X2 batteries at Batteries + are made by Northstar. Not sure what youre running but I've had good luck with their group 27F in my Tacoma. Runs a fridge just fine.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Personally I haven’t ever found that the high end starter batteries for 2-3x the price have ever offered near the equivalent performance upgrade.

Great testers like Project Farm and also places like consumer reports have consistently found that basic brands like EverStart outperform or have equivalent performance and are significantly less cost and have better warranties and more widely available replacement locations.

You will still need to size whatever battery setup you use to what you will be powering. On a starter battery Reserve Capacity is one of the most telling numbers you want to look for.

Keep a small lithium jump pack on hand or your dual battery system and your jumper cables and you should have plenty of options.

Wait until you are way out there and have a battery break lose and get battery acid inside your engine compartment. I started with a Optima after that now on a Odyssey. I love them.

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

Wait until you are way out there and have a battery break lose and get battery acid inside your engine compartment. I started with a Optima after that now on a Odyssey. I love them.
Totally logical. That's why I switched from a fiberglass camper shell to an aluminum one. I didn't secure my fiberglass camper shell well enough and it flew off and broke. Stupid fiberglass. The next time it flies off it will be aluminum and will hold up much better.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Totally logical. That's why I switched from a fiberglass camper shell to an aluminum one. I didn't secure my fiberglass camper shell well enough and it flew off and broke. Stupid fiberglass. The next time it flies off it will be aluminum and will hold up much better.
You do understand that a odyssey doesn’t leak when it is on it’s side. Some of us drive hundreds of miles on washboard and or whoops. It like having a wrench working against you as you drive. Every off-road team I know runs a gel or AMD battery, (more than 20) what do they know? You mileage may very.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

You do understand that a odyssey doesn’t leak when it is on it’s side. Some of us drive hundreds of miles on washboard and or whoops. It like having a wrench working against you as you drive. Every off-road team I know runs a gel or AMD battery, (more than 20) what do they know? You mileage may very.
I do realize what AGM is, yes. I was simply poking fun at your logic equation. You equated that because your battery mount failed that all flooded lead acid batteries are basically bad. They all have their pros and cons. If I was part of offroad team AGM would be the way to go, agreed. Otherwise my point is simply that most travelers, yes even ones who travel lots of miles over corrugations do just fine with a flooded lead acid battery and are able to save some coin and still have a very good battery.

but I was being snarky earlier. I apologize.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I do realize what AGM is, yes. I was simply poking fun at your logic equation. You equated that because your battery mount failed that all flooded lead acid batteries are basically bad. They all have their pros and cons. If I was part of offroad team AGM would be the way to go, agreed. Otherwise my point is simply that most travelers, yes even ones who travel lots of miles over corrugations do just fine with a flooded lead acid battery and are able to save some coin and still have a very good battery.

but I was being snarky earlier. I apologize.
No worries, My friends that I love are much more abusive everyday. My first Odyssey is still beIng used to drive a trap machine most days. 17 years(?).
I have had 2 or 3 batteries turn sideways. I now retro fit my battery mount right after I get the truck.
Let’s get back to the the question at hand. I hope this helped.