Battery management with shore power and solar?

• HTML tutorial

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

In my eyes you can`t get a setup more compact, lightweigt or cheaper, than with that solution:

How to charge
Cigarette lighter socket (100 watts),
110/220v shore power (1200 watts),
Solar Charge Controller: 500 watts (11-60 V, 15 A)
optional: by 12v «dc dc booster» (example with 240 watts at xt60 Port)

What can it power up?
2x USB-C with 100 watts
several USB-A connections
4x 110v/220v sockets 1800-2400 Watt
12v cigarette lighter socket 12.6V 10A (126w Max)

And it is portable, easy to move between your vehicles, helps you too enywhere at an outage. Everything is working together, you have an excellent battery monitor and an app for getting control.

I did love my old battery DIY Project - out of 2011:

Today I cant do it better anymore, without to get much more bulky, heavy and expensive. But yes, probably - more powerful...

But yes, you can try. Please list here the used components, the size and the weight. Let me bet - your solution is heavyer, bulkier? Dont delviers the same?

trippin
my biggest gripe with the ecoflow is the connectors to charge. At both ends - xtc60 to cigarette lighter plug, they are crap. With the cigarette plug thing, you can cut it and put an anderson, or some other thing, but at the other end - nothing you can do about it.
Right now I would go for a victron power pack, in my opinion, you can customize what ever connections, it is more compact and offers more possibilities to hide it somewhere in the vehicle.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We went with the Redarc Mananger 30 in the JK, expensive, but it is an all in one powerhouse that is super simple to install, 30 amps of DCDC charging, Shore power, and solar input. Can fully recharge my 100ah LiPo battery from the engine in a couple of hours, rather than most of a day when I was using a Jackery 1000 with cigarette lighter charging.
Mounted the unit and house battery where the rear seat used to be.

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I have been really happy with this unit. I keep my Li Ion battery plugged in all the time when parked between trips and it switches to "storage" mode once the battery is fully charged. All of my controllers are Victron (solar, DC to DC, and AC) and separate. I have been very happy with their performance.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
As far as I know, Redarc does not make a manager unit larger than 30 amps, and we wanted the compatibility with the RedVision system. In addition we tend to travel on our trips daily so it's not often that the battery is below 50% except perhaps in winter, and it is usually fully charged in an hour or two of driving so do not see a need to push more than 30 amps further taxing the vehicle alternator. We used to carry two 100 watt portable solar panels, but on a standard trip they were never getting used. Now we only bring them to expos or when we plan to camp in place for more than two days. I did add a thermostatically controlled heating pad under the battery so it will remain above freezing when in use in winter time so that we can get a charge into it.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

We’ve been checking these out:

Redarc 40A

Redarc 50A

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Alternator is a consideration, is it uprated ? with 25 amp redarc you can charge easy even big 200 amp packs. So how big is the pack you install ? Where is it ? For 50 amps you need thicker wires, ads cost, volume, you might need to run those wires in tight places.
I think 50 amp is overkill, but depends a lot on what vehicle you have ( actually the alternator rating and how much headroom it has ) and what you charge.
A big draw can kill an alternator quickly..

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

My 2019 Nissan Frontier has a 110A alternator.

Using a clamp on DC Ammeter I measured the current on all the positive wires going to the battery, at 3000 rpms, with the A/C on and the music blaring (so the amplifier and subwoofer were working).

The meter showed 32A.

My research shows this means there are 78A more current available from the alternator, assuming I want to run the alternator at 100%, which I don't for longevity sake.
I have 4AWG wire ordered and on the way, along with battery lugs and an Anderson SB120 connector kit and crimper.

*I keep mentioning a50A DC-DC charger because BattleBorn told me on the phone to charge the two 100Ah batteries at 50A with a shore power conv/charger or DC-DC charger.

James

Last edited:

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

That’s a cool little product. I have about a 25’ run from the truck battery under the hood to the trailer batteries in the very back of the trailer. Hence the 4AWG wire…

James