Battery management with shore power and solar?

• HTML tutorial

Tackleberry

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Michigan
First Name
Derrin
Last Name
Derrick
Member #

I currently have (and really like) the Renogy 30A DC-DC isolater charger with integrated solar. I also have 100A solar on the roof of my truck to keep my 100Ah LifePo4 battery topped off. The trouble is that I live in Michigan and don't have much solar in the winter. It would be nice to use shore power when available. I know Redarc makes the Manager30, but are there less expensive options for me to add shore power charging? Anyway to safely integrate battery charging with the solar charge input?

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

If you are talking about charging through your solar connection, a simple AC to DC transformer properly sized will work. Your solar controller will simply manage your battery. Probably something around 18 VDC will work.

I personally like the Progressive Dynamics series of RV converters. Handles both AC and DC. I wouldn't run it along side solar simultaneously. I use one or the other. I have the Redarc BCDC 25 which handles charging from my tow vehicle and from solar in addition to the Progressive Dynamics converter. The whole system was a little on the pricey side though.

Electrical is a little tricky. Much research is a good idea. I now that Redarc all in once system is pricey, but in the end it might be worth it.

-Curtiss

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If you are talking about charging through your solar connection, a simple AC to DC transformer properly sized will work. Your solar controller will simply manage your battery. Probably something around 18 VDC will work.

I personally like the Progressive Dynamics series of RV converters. Handles both AC and DC. I wouldn't run it along side solar simultaneously. I use one or the other. I have the Redarc BCDC 25 which handles charging from my tow vehicle and from solar in addition to the Progressive Dynamics converter. The whole system was a little on the pricey side though.

Electrical is a little tricky. Much research is a good idea. I now that Redarc all in once system is pricey, but in the end it might be worth it.

-Curtiss
Progressive Dynamics makes a unit that looks for other charging sources… if it notices a positive amper it shuts down…

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

For shore power you just get battery charger maintainer that knows lifepo4 .....they are cheap.

You can get something more expensive if you want, the more expensive ones charge faster ..
You install an extra anderson plug connected to the LIFEPO4 , you install an aderson plug on the charger. You keep it packed someplace and bring it only when need it.
To me it seems like this is the most cost effective way.

This one is cheap but slow to charge. Now depends what you want.. just to top off and keep it charged, 4 amps is good enough for a fridge and some small stuff.
You can get a 10 amp one, something like CTEK or Victron , more expensive.

michal

Rank 0

Contributor I

NYC, NY, USA
First Name
Michal
Last Name
Tro
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2KBH
Tackleberry,
You have few options available.
RedArc is a great option. If you have the money for Manager30, go for it. I would love to have that in my rig. However, BCDC1225D is a much cheaper alternative. It will act as your isolator, MPPT controller, DC2DC charger AND it takes shore power.
It does not have a pretty screen to monitor your battery status, but you can accomplish that by using a reliable shunt from VIctron such as
...or the one from Renogy that comes with a display
Both will monitor the voltage as well as the Amps going in and out of your battery to give you an accurate SOC as well as estimated time under current load.
Speaking of Renogy, the 30A DC-DC you have is also a great solution, you already have DC-DC charging as well as solar MPPT controller. The only thing you are missing is shore power. Perhaps a dedicated LifePO charger is the most cost effective route for you.
Please post some pictures, I would love to see your setup.

Bward76

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Ward
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZE
I know this is an older thread but in case you are still looking here’s another solution. I run the Redarc 1225 to just charge the aux batt and regulate the solar input. For shore power I opted to do it through an inverter. I haven’t installed it yet but I bought the Xantrax freedom 2kw inverter. It’s a pure Sine wave inverter and offers an input for shore power. It’s strong enough that I can run a cord out of the house to run my gas furnace during power outages for a few hours as well. You could even run a cord back to the truck for when the power comes back on to charge the aux batt back up. In my case The backup generator is a bit loud all night long. It may be a bit excessive but being a Union electrician for 25 years, I tend to overbuild anything electrical. Sorry for chiming in a month later but it’s just some food for thought if you haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

flippedcracker

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Mills
Tackleberry,
You have few options available.
RedArc is a great option. If you have the money for Manager30, go for it. I would love to have that in my rig. However, BCDC1225D is a much cheaper alternative. It will act as your isolator, MPPT controller, DC2DC charger AND it takes shore power.
It does not have a pretty screen to monitor your battery status, but you can accomplish that by using a reliable shunt from VIctron such as
...or the one from Renogy that comes with a display
Both will monitor the voltage as well as the Amps going in and out of your battery to give you an accurate SOC as well as estimated time under current load.
Speaking of Renogy, the 30A DC-DC you have is also a great solution, you already have DC-DC charging as well as solar MPPT controller. The only thing you are missing is shore power. Perhaps a dedicated LifePO charger is the most cost effective route for you.
Please post some pictures, I would love to see your setup.
I don't think the BCDC1225D takes shore power.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The BCDC1225D does not list shore power as an input. Does anyone know of a Redarc DC-DC charger that does have shore power input?
There aren’t any DC-DC shore chargers… shore power is AC so you need an AC-DC inverter separate from the DC-DC charger.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Mmm… kind of. You need an AC-DC converter (not inverter) to convert 120VAC shore power to 12VDC.

I understand the difference, I was curious whether anyone had run across an all in one unit instead of using multiple pieces, for space constraints…

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Mmm… kind of. You need an AC-DC converter (not inverter) to convert 120VAC shore power to 12VDC.

I understand the difference, I was curious whether anyone had run across an all in one unit instead of using multiple pieces, for space constraints…
There isn’t one…if there was the RV and Marine industries would be using them.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

There is no such thing. Heat will slow down charging. Redarc has a higher tolerance, meaning it is will work even in an engine bay, but the output will go down a lot anyway.
Put it in a cooler place, or get some additional active cooling.

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
In my eyes you can`t get a setup more compact, lightweigt or cheaper, than with that solution:

How to charge
Cigarette lighter socket (100 watts),
110/220v shore power (1200 watts),
Solar Charge Controller: 500 watts (11-60 V, 15 A)
optional: by 12v «dc dc booster» (example with 240 watts at xt60 Port)

What can it power up?
2x USB-C with 100 watts
several USB-A connections
4x 110v/220v sockets 1800-2400 Watt
12v cigarette lighter socket 12.6V 10A (126w Max)

And it is portable, easy to move between your vehicles, helps you too enywhere at an outage. Everything is working together, you have an excellent battery monitor and an app for getting control.

I did love my old battery DIY Project - out of 2011:

Today I cant do it better anymore, without to get much more bulky, heavy and expensive. But yes, probably - more powerful...

But yes, you can try. Please list here the used components, the size and the weight. Let me bet - your solution is heavyer, bulkier? Dont delviers the same?

trippin

Last edited:

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Yes, I was thinking underneath the trailer (Runaway Camper Venturist) on one of redarc’s universal mounts.
ideally it needs to be as close as possible to the battery it charges. The redarc can can take a lot of abuse, but since it is exposed to elements make sure the connections are weather proof.