Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

So I am not sure what is going on with my truck lately.. It has factory dual batteries that are just over 3 years old. This past weekend I went camping and the truck was parked with no accessories draining the truck batteries. When I went to start the truck, after 3 days of camping, the truck barely started. So I thought maybe my batteries were going dead. Well after that trip I let the truck sit without starting it for 5 days. On the 5th day I fired it and it started right up. I figured if it struggled to start after 3 days Then it should have struggled after 5. I do know I need to clean the battery cables and posts which I will do but does anyone have any ideas what would have caused this issue in the desert? I don't concern myself with it much since I carry an xp10 jumper battery just for reasons like this. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Reactions: Zargon

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Was it especially hot / cold when camping? That might drain the batteries faster.. But while camping there was nothing switched on that could drain the battery? Maybe nothing as big as a fridge but a simple interior light can do that as well..

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I double checked everything and there was nothing switched on. Lowest temps we saw was probably the mid 40° F range. Not extremely cold. I'm lost.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Personally 3 years for standard Lead Acid batteries its time for replacement. Dual batteries I would assume you have a Diesel which requires huge draw for starting. Sure temp can have a big effect on amperage but I'd weigh on the safe side and replace them.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Did you have the doors open and the little dome lights on all the time? I know when I camp I have the doors and tailgate open constantly and that does pull some current. Could replace bulbs with LED to save some draw.

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

"I do know I need to clean the battery cables and posts which I will do but does anyone have any ideas what would have caused this issue in the desert?"

Clean your cables and terminal posts. If that needs to be done anyways, do it first. One of my Z's wouldn't start once. I checked everything all over, turned out it was the battery terminals. And they weren't that bad at all. It only takes a little bit of corrosion to interfere with power to your starter. The money is worth the gold terminals.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Thank you guys. I am going to clean the battery cables On my next day off and hope that's the only issue. Sometimes it's the easiest things that cure the issue. Of course of I need new batteries I will be taking the opportunity to upgrade to some high quality AGM units.. Thinking oddessey or Northstar.

Reactions: 1derer

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

Thank you guys. I am going to clean the battery cables On my next day off and hope that's the only issue. Sometimes it's the easiest things that cure the issue. Of course of I need new batteries I will be taking the opportunity to upgrade to some high quality AGM units.. Thinking oddessey or Northstar.
Make sure you do your research on the oddessey batteries before you get them. Especially if you aren't starting your vehicle for a few days at a time, which it sounds like you are. From what I've gathered on the Xterra forums, it's hard for stock charging systems to charge them fully, and it takes a really expensive "oddessey spec" charger for them. that's just what someone over there said though. No personal experience which is why I say make sure you check into that first.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Make sure you do your research on the oddessey batteries before you get them. Especially if you aren't starting your vehicle for a few days at a time, which it sounds like you are. From what I've gathered on the Xterra forums, it's hard for stock charging systems to charge them fully, and it takes a really expensive "oddessey spec" charger for them. that's just what someone over there said though. No personal experience which is why I say make sure you check into that first.
Awesome thanks for looking out. Yes my truck is a second vehicle that only gets used daily in winter when it snows, the rest of the year I drive it once or twice a week to work and on overland trips and camping weekends... So I'll have to research oddessey before pulling the trigger.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

So not all batteries are sealed, the ones on my 2014 Nissan are not. I am very good about maintenance being done by my dealer. I just happened to check the other day, and sure enough the water levels were low. That might be part of the issue. Even so called sealed type are not always truly sealed. Check it out thoughly. Remenber distilled water only.

Reactions: Zheking

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

That's a good point. My batteries are lead acid so that may be part of the issue.. I'll have to inspect it This weekend. I will pull the battery cables and clean them and make sure both batteries are filled with distilled water.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Also, understand the difference between deep-cycle and starter batteries. The first kind is great at running accessories, and will (relatively) happily allow itself to be drained fairly low. Starter batteries offer much more immediate current which is good for starting an engine, but they really don't like being run down. If you're camping a lot, it might be good to have one of each, with a good isolator between them. That way the starter battery doesn't get drained by anything except normal car use, and the other can be used for whatever your accessory needs may be.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Also, understand the difference between deep-cycle and starter batteries. The first kind is great at running accessories, and will (relatively) happily allow itself to be drained fairly low. Starter batteries offer much more immediate current which is good for starting an engine, but they really don't like being run down. If you're camping a lot, it might be good to have one of each, with a good isolator between them. That way the starter battery doesn't get drained by anything except normal car use, and the other can be used for whatever your accessory needs may be.
I used to run my arb fridge off of the truck batteries but I have since moved the fridge to the bed of the truck and it has its own deep cycle battery to run off of.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

My disco is a second vehicle as well, I hardwired a trickle charger to mine and keep it plugged in all the time whenever not in use. Best $15 bucks I ever spent. I used to have the same issues after letting it sit all week.

OB#3799

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

My disco is a second vehicle as well, I hardwired a trickle charger to mine and keep it plugged in all the time whenever not in use. Best $15 bucks I ever spent. I used to have the same issues after letting it sit all week.

OB#3799
So you mean you plug the truck into the wall, vs hooking a charger up to the truck?

I have 4 vehicles presently so I'm always moving my chargers around. :-/

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Correct! I routed the quick connect out the front grill, only takes a second to plug er up, similar to having a block heater plug.

OB#3799

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

Correct! I routed the quick connect out the front grill, only takes a second to plug er up, similar to having a block heater plug.

OB#3799
Snazzy and clever. I think I'm just gonna sell one of my vehicles and keep the trickles on the non DD's. I think a permanently hooked charger would cost me car show points on the Z, and I probably won't have room in the X.

Njtraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hackensack, NJ
Member #

Near or close. The keys can indicate to the vehicle it's about to start. So it might charge the fuel rails, turn on the ecu. Short answer, yes it can kill the battery. This is for the smart keys of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro