Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Lithium has its limitations but they’ve been rectified with Litium Iron Phoshate @Andrew A. As it stands they’re rather cost prohibitive though when you compare comparable capacities. By the time my current battery kicks the bucket I hope to replace it with a much more reasonably priced one. LiFePO4 batteries are definitely the best option though since they provide stable power longer and they’re still lightweight.

Regarding the battery box.. Cost wise I’d say my setup is decently inexpensive, when you look at he options, since it only consists of an inexpensive battery box and a battery. I have no problems putting it in the car, where it stays, and removing it when I’m done with it. It gets charged/maintained a whole 4’ from where I park my wagon and it’s got a handle to make the move easier. Do I wish it were lighter? Absolutely but the battery in it weighs no more than if I ran the same second battery permanently mounted and I get to relieve the burden from my vehicle when it’s no longer needed. That said, this is what I did and it suits my simple well thought out needs perfectly.

I don’t think it’s fair to say one way is better than another. Saying that one way is better than another when it comes to something like this fails to take into consideration that we all have different setups and different requirements. Different strokes for different folks.
I don’t think anyone even suggested one way was better than another..

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Call me cheap and a newby.. but heres mine..$150 with wiring and connectors.. It worked out great last summer for the 2 3 day weekend trips we took.. Full charge before leaving home. It powered up my wifes percolator pot for her morning coffee and kept the cell phones charged when we weren't driving a trail. Of course we don't have a fridge yet.. Thinking about an Rtic cooler so we won't be needing the extra power.. We will have string lights for the awning but that will be separately powered..I guess it just depends on what type of creature comforts you desire and how much you want to spend..The tool bag also carries all the electrical items I may need. fuses,tape,wire cutters,splicer pliers, 2 pair of cables from the battery to the inverter, etc etc..As our time Overlanding increases so might our needs so this may change in the future. Time will tell. I had a dual battery set up in my old Pro Street/race car. I had nothing but issues with it not keeping 2 Optima dry cell batteries charged.. I decided to then to never speak highly of them..I'm glad yours works for you.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-15-in-Tool-Tote-Bag-82042N12/203418586

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wagan-tech-800w-power-inverter?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-u1-340-rider-mower-battery?cm_vc=-10005

mikedave

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Albany, OR
First Name
Mike
Last Name
D
Member #

I like the ideas and the different approaches for power while traveling. I decided against a dual battery system because my ride is my daily driver. Also, just sold the original rig and bought another. So, for ease and transportability I went with a Goal Zero Yeti 150, a small inverter, and a 70 watt solar panel. It powers the SnoMaster fridge for 15+ hours, when driving it runs off the inverter hooked to Jeep power and when camped for the night or long walks away from the rig, I switch to purely battery power. While driving the inverter is charging the battery while running the fridge. If I’m stationary for any length of time, solar panel time. I’ve been on week long trips to Moab, Death Valley, and multiple multi-day trips around Oregon. Works great! The Goal Zero handles all the pass-through and charging/discharging with ease. The entire kit weighs about 12lbs, not counting the fridge, and the cost was $225. I got the Goal Zero on sale. If I were to do it again, I would probably pull out the Goal Zero and get the Jackery Explorer 240 for added insurance. Either way, budget/light weight “battery box” solution with out the weight or expense. Just a thought.

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Makes me want to consider options like this more and more.. The things I come up with for the Tundra will eventually end up in the Scout, for the most part..

Baughb

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Salcedo
Also have been reading TOO much... Going with a National Luna Battery Box and 125ah agm as I need to bring the fridge along in different vehicles from time to time.

EDIT: Decided to try the Flexopower 444 first...
Actually a less expensive option to the Luna but... less AH
VERY portable
It will just take some tailoring to make sure I can use it regularly. Definitely have to experiment with the low power shut off on my fridge.

Bob

Last edited:

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Taking advantage of this thread, do any of you know if the Jakery Portable Power 240 () is reliable and delivers what it promises? I'm looking for a middle-range portable power station. Any brand recommendation?

Baughb

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Salcedo
I've been using the Flexopower 444 to power my CFX50 fridge and it's been working just great. A few people have not had such a good experience. It cost $100 more than that Jakery unit.

Reactions: Gustavo Amaral