Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I've been on Hwy 375, The Extraterrestrial Hwy, And over to Caliente and on to Utah. I am more familiar with the area around The Arc Dome Wilderness. It all is as remote as you can get and not to be taken lightly.

There is a great park to stay in just south of Caliente; Kershaw-Ryan SP. There is a hot springs albiet boarded up it is still accessable at Warm Springs, search youtube for Wonderhussy's video. She also has some other videos of the area.
Further West you can camp in Peavine Canyon, in lots of places. I did a multi day trip in that area last year and there is a multi page write up on my blog; Roving Nevada, Oct 2019, Day 1

The Little Al'le'in in Rachel, NV is not to be missed! OH, ya, there are roadside history monuments, stop at all of them!

HTH

Reactions: Desert Runner

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Thanks for all the great information, @genocache! Looks like you had an awesome trip in a really cool rig. My plans are still up in the air, but if I do end up in the area I'll update this thread.

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

I spent two days and one night in Basin and Range National Monument and cannot recommend it more! I think it's an overlander's dream location: endless miles of dirt roads, wide open spaces, history to explore, and an almost complete absence of people.

The Basics: Basin and Range NM is a couple hours north of Las Vegas in the triangle formed buy highways 375, 6, and 318. It's a newly formed monument founded in 2015, so it's almost completely undeveloped. The major roads through the park are maintained to varying degrees by the county, and there are many alternate routes that range from very good to "are you sure this is a road?" There are no established campsites in the park, so it's entirely dispersed camping. The environment ranges from high-desert piñon pine forests to wide open sagebrush planes.

I attached the maps that Alicia, the Ranger responsible for the monument sent to me. They were invaluable!

My Trip: 10/8 - I entered from the southeast near Hiko on Logan Road, eventually connecting to Mount Irish Road. The entrance is an unmarked gate in a barbed wire fence, so you'll probably miss it the first time like I did. Trust your maps. The south side of the park is home to several marked petroglyph sites that are worth a stop to check out.

IMG_5380.jpeg

IMG_5388.jpeg

I drove over the Mount Irish Pass and dropped down to North Crescent Road. I wound my way to Henry Springs Road, stopping to check out several tempting campsites along the way. The only people I saw for the entire day were a group of hunters camped along this stretch of road.

IMG_5393.jpeg

From there I drove Jackrabbit Pass Road to my incredible campsite for the night. I could see the entire valley floor for many miles in all direction and not a single light was visible at night.

IMG_5408.jpeg

IMG_5415.jpeg

10/9: I spent a leisurely morning in camp then headed northwest toward an exit through the Humbolt National Forest on Cherry Creek Road. My main route was Upper Coal Valley Road, Garden Valley Road, and West Cherry Creek Road, although I explored several offshoots and alternate routes along the way. At one point Garden Valley Road disappeared in to the sagebrush. Trusting the two GPS devices that said I was on a road, I pushed on for quite a while until it started to emerge as a cowpath again. Eventually the way become more defined and it joined West Cherry Creek Road right where it was supposed to. I only saw two other vehicles during my time in the park this day...and one was just evident from the dust cloud in the distance.

IMG_5424.jpeg

IMG_5430.jpeg

Summary: I can't recommend B&RNM enough. It's isolated, rugged, beautiful, and undiscovered. Check it out before the hoards find it.

Attachments

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Had a quick drive through Great Basin NP a couple of years ago. I was on 50 coming back from Wyoming and headed back to Cali and was running out of time so I didn't get to explore much. Just pretty much drove up and back down. Gonna have to sepnd a few more days out there.

Here's some of my pictures from out there.

Reactions: RangerBill

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Geez. Apologies guys. My brain parsed the title as “Great Basin“. I’ve never been to Basin and Range.ill have to check it out when I move to NV next year.

Reactions: RangerBill

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

I ran across episode 401 of Wild Nevada, which covers Basin and Range National Monument, Beaver Dam State Park, and Cathedral Gorge State Park. Now I want to get on the road again.