GCWJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Coon Rapids, MN
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Canaday
I've never done this stuff (n00b here) so this was crazy informative.

Except that I don't grok kg. I know the basic math but it takes a conscious effort to convert to pounds.

Reactions: Faneius

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

Very nice write up! The one thing I would add, and I'm not sure if others do this or not, is to (if able to safely) open the hood up on the winching vehicle. That way if something "happens" to come loose, your thimble or clevis (never a hook!) doesn't come flying back thru your window!
great tip

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Nice write up. When I was coming up there just wasn't any information at all other than a few OSHA handbooks for rigging, so I relied on my wit, and fell back on my farming backround to get out of trouble. It is amazing what a simple shovel, a stock bottle jack and a bit of labor can get you out of. The school of hard knocks taught me a lot along the way. Today I carry a bag of stuff along with a winch, high-lift, bottle jack and 2 shovels. A lot of the extraction equipment we have today is a really nice convenience. Here I am circa 1977, learning about open diffs, bottle jacks and shovels. DSC01093.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

What do you do when high centered on a crest of a 45° hill and your wheeling alone? Would you jack up the rear and stack rocks under the rear tires til you can get over? Would you back down and not continue? What if backing down isnt an option because the is a mud pit at the bottom on a corner on the edge of a cliff and the more you try to reverse the more your rig starts to slide over the cliff. There is only a tree to the left of the truck to winch from so only thing you can do is secure your rig to the tree so it doesn't slide off the cliff. Ive been in this situation recently and half of the decisions i made were terrible i did not stop and think, stress took over because of the danger level and my thinking was fogged, luckily i had enough instinct to save my truck and luckily it was a well used trail another wheeler showed up and helped tow me back to safety. In hindsight i should have never backed down when i got high centered i should have stacked rocks under my rear tires and continued over the hill. Now im trying to finding places that i can safely get high centered and practice getting out alone so this never happens again.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Nice write up. When I was coming up there just wasn't any information at all other than a few OSHA handbooks for rigging, so I relied on my wit, and fell back on my farming backround to get out of trouble. It is amazing what a simple shovel, a stock bottle jack and a bit of labor can get you out of. The school of hard knocks taught me a lot along the way. Today I carry a bag of stuff along with a winch, high-lift, bottle jack and 2 shovels. A lot of the extraction equipment we have today is a really nice convenience. Here I am circa 1977, learning about open diffs, bottle jacks and shovels. View attachment 70252
I really love the roots LC FJ 40 series. I've learned to drive on my father's FJ 40. It's an awesome rig!!!

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Thank you for the information.

I do have experience with recovery. But you always learn something new.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
That's a nice, concise write up and it covers a lot of things and situations.

All I can add is if you're new to this or a new winch owner. Go out with a buddy or 2 on a nice, warm, sunny day and find a place to become "stuck". By that I mean a nice, dry place not really stuck. Pull your cable, use your tree strap and slowly winch yourself 30-40 feet.

The time to learn and practice is on a nice day with a couple of friends and NO stress. Once you have winched yourself a couple of times, maybe on flat ground and a 10-20* hill you'll have an understanding on how your winch works and what to do to get it hooked up and ready to use. That alone will take a huge amount of stress out of recovering yourself or someone else.

The time NOT to learn is on a cold, wet, night buried in the mud on a side hill.

Reactions: Nick Malette

DzrtShamrock

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Betts
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0AWV
That's really useful information. I'm considering putting it on some reference cards to keep in my recovery kit.
On the note of hand/arm signals, is there an approved OB hand & arm signaling guide for vehicle recovery (like the one posted here)? If not, maybe this is something we could consider standardizing. If nothing else, it would surely make communication easier when traveling with other OB members. I realize that we're 46,934 members strong and it would be a big project to solicit ideas or get buy in from all. But I'm sure it would be worth it.

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Thanks all have not been around for a while but appreciate the feedback, things have come a lonnnnng way since posting this have a version 2, 3,4 and 5 i will endeavor to get up if i can remember how lol

Reactions: BchBum11511

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
New winch users should Google "Winch Duty Cycle". Most winch makers do not have a listed duty cycle, a few high end models do and it's around 5% at rated load.