Basic Overland Toolkit Contents For Beginners?

• HTML tutorial

Aunt_Minnie

Rank I

Contributor III

Mequon, WI, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Vintage
What basic tools should a beginner overlander pack as part of a starter toolkit? I have seen toolkits here and on other forums that require large tiered hardshell cases and probably cumulatively run into the $1000s...

As a beginner, these massive toolkits are well above both my price and skill level. At most, the hardest trails I seek to conquer during my fledgling adventures will be moderate at best. What contents would you guys/gals recommend for a beginner that would fit in a tool roll? FWIW, my wife gave me a Step 22 Pangolin tool roll for Christmas...thoughts on how to fill this case would be ideal! :grinning:

If it makes any difference, my rig is a 2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited. Not sure if Jeeps favor use of certain common tools over others...

Thanks again!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Well, it depends on your skill set. If you snap an axle shaft, do you have the necessary tools and knowledge to replace it on the trail?

A tool is only useful if you know how to use it.

Personally, I carry a full set of tekton impact sockets (in metric and sae, but I only have the sae sockets because I want to keep them all together) a full set of metric ratcheting wrenches, metric Allen sockets, some Allen wrenches, some pliers, vice grips, and some basic electrical tools. I also have some duct tape, gorilla tape, fuses and Relays.

I also carry a dewalt 1/2in drive impact driver. These tools will allow me to fix anything I'm capable of fixing.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
As mentioned above tools really depend on the vehicle and what scope of projects you want to take on. Often forums focused on a specific make/model of vehicle will have a good list of common tools required for maintenance tasks on that vehicle.

I listed the tools and repair gear I carry in my "inventory" thread. A few things have changed since then, but it's mostly up to date.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Erik,

Of course, it always depends on what you have in mind and how your skills are.

For the beginning, I would always pack a well-stocked general toolbox. The on-board tools of the Wrangler JL are at least here in Europe rather sparse and yet it can be supplemented with a few simple additional tools, so that you are already well prepared for simple tours and things. These are (I assume that the models in US are the same as here in Europe): socket or T-wrench 8mm for the air filter box, (sockets-) wrenches in mm sizes 10 / 13 / 17 / 19 / 21, Phillips and slotted screwdrivers. In addition, a scan tool to read and clear faults is also a great thing if you know how to use it. A small set of very simple spare parts, such as the right fuses, I also always find useful even for short trips.

I'm not the big Wrangler expert, but I'm sure there are some members here who are experienced Wrangler owners and can add something to it, e.g. @MazeVX or @TangoRomeo7688 ?

Safe travels,
Bjoern

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Limiting it to the tool roll as you mentioned I would suggest: a medium ball peen hammer, 4-6 screwdrivers (s-m-l), 2 crescent wrenches (m-l), vice grips, pliers, needle nose pliers, box cutter (with spare blades), large zip ties, tube of super glue in a ziploc, roll electrical tape.

Any room left, then wire cutters and then box/open end wrenches starting with the most common size.

That’s a good general tool roll kit.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Agree with everything above, especially that tools without the knowledge of how to use them won't do a lot of good.
What is your intended use for your Jeep? Occasional gravel roads close to civilization or grueling tracks far far away from civilization? That will affect what you should carry.
Also, you can repair many things, but many repairs will require spare parts. So it might be great that you can remove/install a broken driveline but do you have a replacement along for the ride?

I have a 2020 Gladiator which is pretty much the same vehicle as your JLU. This is a list of kind of the basics from my experience with my truck; I'm sure its missing some things but might get you thinking...

Easily accessible fire extinguisher(s)Field replaceable tire stemsMetric spanner set (covering around 6-20mm range)PliersTough scissorsElectrical connectors (butt connectors, etc) and crimper tool (available as a kit)Torx bit set (you should have a small one included with your vehicle)
Air compressor (tire fixes and airing back up)MultimeterMetric socket set (covering around 6-20mm range)Vice gripsFluids (a couple few quarts of motor oil, brake fluid, electric steering pump fluid)Phillips and flat blade screw drivers in small/med/largeRags
Tire plugs / tire goo packetsZip tiesSmall and large monkey wrenches (adjustable wrenches)Side cutters (wire cutters)Serpentine belt (and diagram that shows its proper installation)Hex key setWD40/Tri-Flow lubricant

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Get you a Mechanics Basic Tool Set, here is Craftsman at Lowes, under $120, wait for a sale (I got one for $85): Craftsman @ Lowes
Add "special" tools as you discover, Get a Chiltons book, Tire Repair Kit (Quality, do not skimp) Watch: Michael Drills Tire
Gorilla Tape, hoses, clamps, nuts bolts, electrical tape, Quality jack esp. if lifted.... Believe me the list keeps growing......

Aunt_Minnie

Rank I

Contributor III

Mequon, WI, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Vintage
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I am sure that my tool kit will grow as I become more experienced.

Definitely not looking to do any grueling tracks far far away from civilization anytime soon. Mostly US forest service roads, gravel backroads, old logging trails and ranch roads.

Just watched the Michael Drills Tire video. Thx for the rec! Will definitely be adding an ARB tire repair kit to my inventory. Now I guess I need an air compressor...

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My tool bag weighs about 20 lbs. I do not carry a full set of tools that would easily double the weight and take up more cargo space. I carry only the size and type of tools necessary to repair my vehicle and the trailer. Example?: Nowhere on my vehicle is a 3/4” fastener, so, no sense in dragging around a 3/4” wrench or socket. I don’t use adjustable wrenches anywhere so why carry one? Go through your vehicle and don’t carry tools that’ll never be used.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
My tool bag weighs about 20 lbs. I do not carry a full set of tools that would easily double the weight and take up more cargo space. I carry only the size and type of tools necessary to repair my vehicle and the trailer. Example?: Nowhere on my vehicle is a 3/4” fastener, so, no sense in dragging around a 3/4” wrench or socket. I don’t use adjustable wrenches anywhere so why carry one? Go through your vehicle and don’t carry tools that’ll never be used.
I do see your point. I think it's more likely to be fixing on someone else's stuff than mine. I sure do like my big old vice grips. They sometimes come in handy for somethings. I do leave my ball-peen but I couldn't leave my socket set. Like recovery gear, better to have it and not need it. Hard for me to predict what might need a-fixin.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I do see your point. I think it's more likely to be fixing on someone else's stuff than mine. I sure do like my big old vice grips. They sometimes come in handy for somethings. I do leave my ball-peen but I couldn't leave my socket set. Like recovery gear, better to have it and not need it. Hard for me to predict what might need a-fixin.
Yea, vice grips, big pair, small stubbies and needle nose can come in handy for all sorts of things, but sockets and wrenches that’ll never be used on a vehicle?

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Yea, vice grips, big pair, small stubbies and needle nose can come in handy for all sorts of things, but sockets and wrenches that’ll never be used on a vehicle?
I prefer to keep all sets together. When i split them up, home and vehicle, different compartments, I end up losing half of them usually the group including that has the one I am looking for at the time. I take the ratchet sets, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 just to fit the spot cause some are tight in the engine bay and others need the leverage.

Reactions: El-Dracho

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Agree with everything above, especially that tools without the knowledge of how to use them won't do a lot of good.
What is your intended use for your Jeep? Occasional gravel roads close to civilization or grueling tracks far far away from civilization? That will affect what you should carry.
Also, you can repair many things, but many repairs will require spare parts. So it might be great that you can remove/install a broken driveline but do you have a replacement along for the ride?

I have a 2020 Gladiator which is pretty much the same vehicle as your JLU. This is a list of kind of the basics from my experience with my truck; I'm sure its missing some things but might get you thinking...

Easily accessible fire extinguisher(s)Field replaceable tire stemsMetric spanner set (covering around 6-20mm range)PliersTough scissorsElectrical connectors (butt connectors, etc) and crimper tool (available as a kit)Torx bit set (you should have a small one included with your vehicle)
Air compressor (tire fixes and airing back up)MultimeterMetric socket set (covering around 6-20mm range)Vice gripsFluids (a couple few quarts of motor oil, brake fluid, electric steering pump fluid)Phillips and flat blade screw drivers in small/med/largeRags
Tire plugs / tire goo packetsZip tiesSmall and large monkey wrenches (adjustable wrenches)Side cutters (wire cutters)Serpentine belt (and diagram that shows its proper installation)Hex key setWD40/Tri-Flow lubricant
Very organized, but do you have a tool that can handle the nut that holds the steering wheel? lol

Reactions: M Rose

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
If you can make it to auto parts store many will lend you tools. Especially one that aren't that common like torque wrenches or other specialty tools.

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

I completely agree with those who've said that they carry just the tools that fit their rig. My personal exception is that I carry deep sockets in common lug nut sizes, as well as a handful of oddball lug nuts that don't fit my rig, but might fit someone else's. Tools can get heavy and weight can cause its own damage.

I'm not sure I agree with the "cheap tool" answer. Sure, they don't have to be Snap-On tools, but if that K-Mart ratchet breaks on the first use, things could go sideways really fast.

As for skills, gaining our own set of them is critical, and we all should work on them over time; but having a tool or two we may not know how to use might just be useful to someone who DOES if they come upon us in trouble.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

So not sure about the JL but with the JK jeep made a good use of rather unusual socket sizes like 16mm and 18mm, make sure your kit has that. With respect to the limitations I would think about what is in your reach and what will likely happen. Loose bolts on control arms, swaybar links, loose bolts on the steering. So check what you need to tighten your swaybar endlinks put that in the tool roll check the nuts and bolts on the steering, put the wrenches in the tool roll and so on, you probably get the deal. If possible get a few spare bolts and nuts, castle nut and cotter pins (steering links)
As your confidence increases your budget rehabs and you can buy what you found to be useful.
If it's a jk I would say 13,15,16,18,19,21 metric sockets, extension for the wrench, medium breaker bar and the spanners to hold, set of torx or multi bit set. And probably a few other little things

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
+1 to carrying the sizes and types of tools relevant to your vehicle. In most cases a metric socket can be substituted for any given imperial size, so if you do need a 3/4" socket to help someone out a 19mm one will likely work as a substitute.

I don't use adjustable wrenches on my truck at home, but I do carry one in the truck in case I need two wrenches of the same size (for example to hold a suspension bolt in place while removing a nut). This has come in useful a few times.