Barney Riley in 2018?

• HTML tutorial

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

We ran it back in September 2016, it was pretty rough. My lifted TJ on 33s scraped the skid plates in a few places. Rear locker made the trail substantially easier though since tire placement wasn't as critical for traction.

You shouldn't have too many issues with your 4Runner. Just watch your tire placement and, when in doubt, get out and take a look so you know the best line.

It takes a while to get out there and it is a long trail so it'd be a better overnight trip from the Bay area. Make sure you check out the hot springs at the end!

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

We ran it back in September 2016, it was pretty rough. My lifted TJ on 33s scraped the skid plates in a few places. Rear locker made the trail substantially easier though since tire placement wasn't as critical for traction.

You shouldn't have too many issues with your 4Runner. Just watch your tire placement and, when in doubt, get out and take a look so you know the best line.

It takes a while to get out there and it is a long trail so it'd be a better overnight trip from the Bay area. Make sure you check out the hot springs at the end!
Thanks for the update! I'd be coming from Bear Valley, so not making the trek all the way from Oakland for the day. If I go I'll definitely check out the hot springs. I suspect the fishing would be good in that area as well.

Reactions: Kent R

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Thanks for the update! I'd be coming from Bear Valley, so not making the trek all the way from Oakland for the day. If I go I'll definitely check out the hot springs. I suspect the fishing would be good in that area as well.
Fishing might not be great. Near that area was a Superfund site and part of the river doesn't have any fish in it anymore - not sure if it impacted the area immediately surrounding the end of the trail. I thought that it was mercury contamination from the old gold mines but, based upon the EPA's website, it looks like it was from an open pit sulfur mine. Regardless, nasty stuff we did to our environment in the name of profit.

https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites/csitinfo.cfm?id=0901943

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

@Saints&Sailors, thanks for letting me know about the Superfund site. I was aware of the mine, but not its downstream impacts. So sad. That section of the East Fork of the Carson is a designated Wild and Scenic river. If I go, I might hike upstream from where the trial hits the river, which should be toward cleaner water. Here's a description from Fly Fishing The Sierra:

In 1989, the East Fork of the Carson River was selected by the State as a "Wild and Scenic River". The East Fork Carson River became a State designated Wild Trout Stream in 1992. Local Guide, Ralph Cutter and DFG biologist, Chuck Von Geldern, were instrumental in getting "Wild Trout" recognition to this section of the stream as many thought of the East Carson as being more of a Mountain whitefish habitat. The "trophy trout" sections of the river starts at Hangman's Bridge about 1.5 miles south of Markleeville and continues for 14.5 miles to the CA/NV border. Most of the trout reside below Hangman's Bridge within deep pools. The river is generally flat between Hangman's Bridge and Markleeville Creek but then drops off into canyon water onto the Nevada border. The best access to the river is from a trail at Hangman's Bridge or from the campground at Markleeville Creek. Trophy-size trout include Browns up to 7 lbs. and Rainbows, in the 22 inch range, as well as a few Lahonton Cutthroats that have exceeded 10 lbs. The Mountain Whitefish also frequent the river and can reach up to 20 inches. This is not an abundant trout fishery as it contains the fewest trout of any of the state designated Wild Trout Streams but can be very rewarding for those that fish it. The Rainbows tend to be in the meadow areas of Hangman's Bridge while the Browns tend to inhabit the Canyon waters below Markleeville Creek. Since river rafters use this section of the river during the early summer months, the flyfishing is better during the later summer and fall periods. You can wade most of the river with many cross-over areas less than 2 feet deep. Scattered pools can be over 8 feet deep with runs in between the pools. The season is open year round and is strictly 'Catch and Release' within this section.

wgyouree

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

FYI, we were up there last weekend and both sides had a road closed sign. However the sign was off to the side and not in the middle of the road. One Jeep went to scout it out and said it was a little washed out but not bad. Problem may be the exposed water runoff pipes that they don't want people driving over. Apparently there may be other entrances to the trail network that we didn't check. Just FYI, if we were a small group we probably would've still done the trail but we had a lot of rigs and didn't want to risk it.

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

FYI, we were up there last weekend and both sides had a road closed sign. However the sign was off to the side and not in the middle of the road. One Jeep went to scout it out and said it was a little washed out but not bad. Problem may be the exposed water runoff pipes that they don't want people driving over. Apparently there may be other entrances to the trail network that we didn't check. Just FYI, if we were a small group we probably would've still done the trail but we had a lot of rigs and didn't want to risk it.
Good to know. I'll call the rangers later today and see what's up. Thanks for the heads-up!