• HTML tutorial

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

Hello
Plan to do a camping trip to Barney Riley hot springs. The route shows up on Google maps, and we intend to go through NEVADA highway 395 side. It shows about 9 miles from the 395 to the springs. I did have a few questions though

• What is the technical difficulty of the track? Approx driving time? Google says 54 minutes, but I would take that with a pinch of salt
  • when going in from NV, are the hot springs across the river? or we don't need to cross the river? Anybody done this recently. How high is the water? Walkable? I understand NFS regulations prohibit driving across the river
  • Any other things we need to be aware of?
Anybody who has done this if would be great to get tips and suggestions,

The vehicle is a GX 460 on 275/70 R18 tires (33.1 inch tires) and a 3 inch lift. So anything less challenging than Hells Revenge Moab should be good.
Google maps route -> Barney Riley Trailhead OHV - NV to Barney Camping

Norcalocal

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
  • What is the technical difficulty of the track? Its about 1-3 hrs from 395 depending which trail option you take and how fast you drive. Most the trail isn't challenging.
  • when going in from NV, are the hot springs across the river? You have to cross the river; it's currently flowing at about 270CFS (imagine 270 basketballs every second). I don't know your rig, but 35s should be fine.
  • Any other things we need to be aware of? No glass, and pack-it-out.

Reactions: overl4nd

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

thank you

Its about 1-3 hrs from 395 depending which trail option you take and how fast you drive. Most the trail isn't challenging.
Trail options? Are there multiple routs? If we follow google maps route do you know which trail option does it take?

We will probably walk across if it looks too hairy. Wondering if we have to go back out the way we came or we can head out to markerville

Norcalocal

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
thank you

Its about 1-3 hrs from 395 depending which trail option you take and how fast you drive. Most the trail isn't challenging.
Trail options? Are there multiple routs? If we follow google maps route do you know which trail option does it take?

We will probably walk across if it looks too hairy. Wondering if we have to go back out the way we came or we can head out to markerville
Totally depends on your rig and skill. It’s a 4x4 trail up for sure; except for water crossing, a stock rig with good ties and 4low can probably do it without real damage. Although lockers and undercarriage protection are nice cause it’s a loose boulders climb. Will get pinstripes.