Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army
I am kind of OCD, and try to think of everything before I head out. I am brand new to over-landing, and have bought some gear, but I always feel like I am missing stuff.
What are your recommendations for the brand new over-lander's "starter kit"?

Skol! ~ SotN
Land Viking Adventures

Reactions: LostInThought

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

This is going to depend on where you travel and how outdoorsy you are.I seem to end up with a lot of stuff I don't use but I pack it "just in case".
1: If you are going long distances and you k ow gas stations will be few, bring fuel.
2: If you are going where you can't find water ( lakes, streams, snow, campgrounds) bring water.
3: Bring enough food for you planned trip ( I usually carry some extra jerky or granola bars in case I am out longer than expected.
4: Whatever planned camping gear you need ( a lot of the time I sleep in a hammock), sleeping bag, tent, air mattress or cot, pillow...
5: whatever cooking gest you need, stove or cook on a fire...
6: if you are going off the beaten path I recommend recovery gear and bssic tools. This could be anything as long as it will help you get unstuck or patch your rig back together enough to get it to somewhere to fix, he fixed, or to a tow truck if we'd be.

I come from a hiking and backpacking background so I can fit a tent, hammock, a couple tarps, sleeping pad and pillow, and a day's worth of water in an average backpack. I throw that in the jeep, pack a cooler, water filter, and a couple of Jerry cans and I can be gone for a few weeks lol even longer if I bring dehydrated food.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

I am kind of OCD, and try to think of everything before I head out. I am brand new to over-landing, and have bought some gear, but I always feel like I am missing stuff.
What are your recommendations for the brand new over-lander's "starter kit"?

Skol! ~ SotN
Land Viking Adventures
7c4c7b97c0f6ebfad0ed7cd58b192510.png

But seriously, it depends on your plan. Minimum?

Vehicle with a full tank of gas
Food, Water, Toilet-Paper, Shovel.
Someone at home who knows where you're going and when you're back.

Pretty much everything else is either comfort or what-if.

People are going to yell at me now :-)

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army
View attachment 205711

But seriously, it depends on your plan. Minimum?

Vehicle with a full tank of gas
Food, Water, Toilet-Paper, Shovel.
Someone at home who knows where you're going and when you're back.

Pretty much everything else is either comfort or what-if.

People are going to yell at me now :-)
LOL, don't sweat it; I loved your reply! Guess I better start letting the wifey know where I'm going at the wee hours of the morn! :sunglasses:

Skol ~ SotN
Land Viking Adventures

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Bare minimum Overlanding is where I’m at 90% of the time. My gear list changes slightly depending upon length of trip, where we will be going, and the weather forecast.

My Basic Gear List that doesn’t change:
  • Sleeping bags
  • Air mattress(es)
  • Backpacking 8’x 10’ tarp
  • Backpacking stoves (I carry two a MST Wisperlight with a 2.0 L Pot and a MSR dual fuel stove)
  • Fridge/cooler (depends on length of trip which one i take.)
  • Lifetime Table
  • Cast Iron Skillet
  • 6 Gallons of water
  • TP
  • Axe
  • Shovel
  • 5 gallon bucket
  • An ABC Fire extinguisher
  • 25’ Recovery strap
Then depending on the trip conditions I add the fallowing:
  • Tent (Usually my Gazelle T4+, but i still use a backpacking tent on occasion if it’s just me and it’s going to be cold out)
  • 20# Propane Bottle
  • Coleman stove (if the kids are coming, if it’s just me, or me and the wife then we just use the backpacking stoves)
  • Propane Lantern
  • Chuck box (this is currently resides in 3 totes that I also have packed in such a way that I don’t necessarily need to take all three depending on the trip)
  • Mr. Buddy Heater
  • Canopy
  • Camp chairs
My last trip was a 3 day 2 night trip to a local lake about an hour away. The trip was a very last minute spur of the moment trip. A friend called me up at 8:00 am inviting us to go with his family up to the lake, and at 9:00 am we were on the road. For this trip we only took the first list, the T4+, and the camp chairs. Cooler was a little soft sided cooler to keep our perishables in.

Chuck Box Tote A:

• Cooking utensils
  • Flatware
  • Plates
  • Cups
  • Chef’s Knife
  • Coffee percolator

Chuck Box Tote B:
  • 4qt pot,
  • Dutch oven
  • Extra propane bottles
  • Spare mantles
  • Papa Cord
  • Carbiners
  • Miscellaneous kitchen items
  • Dish soap
  • Dish pan
  • Trash bags

Chuck Box Tote C:
  • Dry Goods
I hope this helps for the bare minimum list… it seams like a lot, but actually it packs up quite small. And like I said I can load up. Hit the grocery store and gas station and be on the road in less than an hour. And still have everything I need to be comfortable for 3 days up to 3 weeks depending on which load out I choose.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
just do some trips and it will fall into place for you. the wife and i travel a lot and we still end up going on trips and not using half of the clothes or food we took. its very easy to overdo it. personally, i worry about 2 things the most....good hiking boots and a good pillow. most of our trips are hiking and a lot of walking, so need those good boots and then we always get in late and go to bed, so a good pillow. seems we are either walking or sleeping...everything else is just fluff :grinning:

Reactions: Son of the Norse

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army
Bare minimum Overlanding is where I’m at 90% of the time. My gear list changes slightly depending upon length of trip, where we will be going, and the weather forecast.

My Basic Gear List that doesn’t change:
  • Sleeping bags
  • Air mattress(es)
  • Backpacking 8’x 10’ tarp
  • Backpacking stoves (I carry two a MST Wisperlight with a 2.0 L Pot and a MSR dual fuel stove)
  • Fridge/cooler (depends on length of trip which one i take.)
  • Lifetime Table
  • Cast Iron Skillet
  • 6 Gallons of water
  • TP
  • Axe
  • Shovel
  • 5 gallon bucket
  • An ABC Fire extinguisher
  • 25’ Recovery strap
Then depending on the trip conditions I add the fallowing:
  • Tent (Usually my Gazelle T4+, but i still use a backpacking tent on occasion if it’s just me and it’s going to be cold out)
  • 20# Propane Bottle
  • Coleman stove (if the kids are coming, if it’s just me, or me and the wife then we just use the backpacking stoves)
  • Propane Lantern
  • Chuck box (this is currently resides in 3 totes that I also have packed in such a way that I don’t necessarily need to take all three depending on the trip)
  • Mr. Buddy Heater
  • Canopy
  • Camp chairs
My last trip was a 3 day 2 night trip to a local lake about an hour away. The trip was a very last minute spur of the moment trip. A friend called me up at 8:00 am inviting us to go with his family up to the lake, and at 9:00 am we were on the road. For this trip we only took the first list, the T4+, and the camp chairs. Cooler was a little soft sided cooler to keep our perishables in.

Chuck Box Tote A:

• Cooking utensils
  • Flatware
  • Plates
  • Cups
  • Chef’s Knife
  • Coffee percolator

Chuck Box Tote B:
  • 4qt pot,
  • Dutch oven
  • Extra propane bottles
  • Spare mantles
  • Papa Cord
  • Carbiners
  • Miscellaneous kitchen items
  • Dish soap
  • Dish pan
  • Trash bags

Chuck Box Tote C:
  • Dry Goods
I hope this helps for the bare minimum list… it seams like a lot, but actually it packs up quite small. And like I said I can load up. Hit the grocery store and gas station and be on the road in less than an hour. And still have everything I need to be comfortable for 3 days up to 3 weeks depending on which load out I choose.
Great well thought list, I appreciate the effort in your response. I have most of the stuff from your basic gear list with me at all times in my decked storage. I do need to Fire Ext. though, I hadn't even thought of that. Recovery straps in something I had not thought of either...would I still want one if I don't even have a wench yet? Thankfully, I do have most of Tote items also packed in my decked storage, except for the camp table/chairs which I would bring if the kids/wife are invited.
Again, I appreciate your response!
Skol ~ SotN
Land Viking Adventures

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army
just do some trips and it will fall into place for you. the wife and i travel a lot and we still end up going on trips and not using half of the clothes or food we took. its very easy to overdo it. personally, i worry about 2 things the most....good hiking boots and a good pillow. most of our trips are hiking and a lot of walking, so need those good boots and then we always get in late and go to bed, so a good pillow. seems we are either walking or sleeping...everything else is just fluff :grinning:
I think I need to add hiking to my list as well. Right now, the couple of times we have went somewhere my main 2 things I worried about were ICE & BEER! I think I need to follow your advice, or soon I won't be able to fit in my front seat LOL!

Skol ~ SotN
Land Viking Adventures

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army
I did wrote about recently:

1.) To sleep comfortable (dont matters where - but it has to be equal or better than at home)

Doesnt matters if you are a weekender or on a extended journey, you will use it aprox. 7h a day and if your back hurt, you dont will be able to enjoy it further.

2.) A comfortable and safe rig

A modern vehicle with a good noise cancellation and security features like ESP and Airbags will give you a comfortable ride. A rig who is able to carry everything your ego told you to carry, and still is capable and quiet after modding. Much more important than any gear if you plan to travel extended.

3.) comfortable camp environment (seats / table)

If the outdoor/indoor seats are shitty also the trip isnt enjoyable (starts to get more important as longer you travel, starts after 8days ongoing overlanding). Too the table has to give you a good place for food prepartion and lunch/dinner

and some points more:

trippin
Danke Schoen Heinz, I will read your previous post for sure! I also agree, comfort is king!

Skol ~ SotN
Land Viking Adventures

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
… I do need to Fire Ext. though, I hadn't even thought of that. Recovery straps in something I had not thought of either...would I still want one if I don't even have a wench yet? …
Skol ~ SotN
Land Viking Adventures
Fire Extinguishers are required by the NFS and State Forestry departments when venturing off of paved roads. So they should always be in the vehicle… if you don’t have a fire extinguisher, an Axe, Shovel, and one gallon of water is allowed to be substituted.

recovery straps- yes they are even more important without a winch then with one. You never know when you might need to lend a helping hand, or you need help but the other person also doesn’t have a strap/rope. Also straps are useful to pull downed trees off the trail by using the vehicle power.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I think I need to add hiking to my list as well. Right now, the couple of times we have went somewhere my main 2 things I worried about were ICE & BEER! I think I need to follow your advice, or soon I won't be able to fit in my front seat LOL!

Skol ~ SotN
Land Viking Adventures
ha! well, i'm an ex-navy submariner and an ex-commercial diver...so yeah, beer and ice are essential. :grinning:
however....i retired at 46 and got remarried at 52 and my new wife is really into nature and all that, so i have gotten more into enjoying nature and going more minimalist and totally enjoying the experience! she loves waterfalls, so we do a lot of hikes that have waterfalls. i dipped a can of grizzly a day and easily drank a case of beer a day....now i'm tobacco free and drink on occasions and do a lot of hiking and life is freaking great! who knew? less is more!

Last edited:

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Fire Extinguishers are required by the NFS and State Forestry departments when venturing off of paved roads. So they should always be in the vehicle… if you don’t have a fire extinguisher, an Axe, Shovel, and one gallon of water is allowed to be substituted.

recovery straps- yes they are even more important without a winch then with one. You never know when you might need to lend a helping hand, or you need help but the other person also doesn’t have a strap/rope. Also straps are useful to pull downed trees off the trail by using the vehicle power.
Actually, because they are so small, I keep a pair of E50 fire extinguishers in each of our vehicles (on or off road).

+1 on the recovery straps.

Reactions: Son of the Norse

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

ha! well, i'm an ex-navy submariner and an ex-commercial diver...so yeah, beer and ice are essential. :grinning:
however....i retired at 46 and got remarried at 52 and my new wife is really into nature and all that, so i have gotten more into enjoying nature and going more minimalist and totally enjoying the experience! she loves waterfalls, so we do a lot of hikes that have waterfalls. i dipped a can of grizzly a day and easily drank a case of beer a day....now i'm tobacco free and drink on occasions and do a lot of hiking and life is freaking great! who knew? less is more!
A stupid pile of camera equipment is "essential" for me, but the wife strongly disagrees.:grinning:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Bare minimum? I’ll take a stroll back to 1974/5/6
66 VW bug
Sleeping Bag
Good hiking/work boots
Couple gallon jugs of water
Hatchet
Rope
Bag of trail mix/gorp
Coleman ice chest (a green one) stocked with a couple days worth of cold cuts, fruit ,veggies, yogurt, etc.
Old Army surplus collapsible shovel, (still have that)
Compass
Map
Tool kit
This set up got me out of the basin for many a great 3 day weekends up into the San Gabriels, out onto the Mohave, or down to Ensenada.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Bare minimum? I’ll take a stroll back to 1974/5/6
66 VW bug
Sleeping Bag
Good hiking/work boots
Couple gallon jugs of water
Hatchet
Rope
Bag of trail mix/gorp
Coleman ice chest (a green one) stocked with a couple days worth of cold cuts, fruit ,veggies, yogurt, etc.
Old Army surplus collapsible shovel, (still have that)
Compass
Map
Tool kit
This set up got me out of the basin for many a great 3 day weekends up into the San Gabriels, out onto the Mohave, or down to Ensenada.
nice!
thats the real deal...thats where being one with nature is the real goal

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army

Thank you! I do have a shovel, axe, and water thank goodness, but I am aiming to look at FE this weekend.
Recovery strap does makes sense now. I will look at picking one of these up as well very soon!

Thank u for all your help!
Skol ~ Son of the Norse

Reactions: M Rose

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army
Your new wife sounds amazing! Congrats on the New You!
I don't think my wife could drag me away from my "blue mountain" cans LOL.

See you in Valhalla!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM_gbQqrn7jxuRSIB41xF9A?sub_confirmation=1

Reactions: grubworm