Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
Hello, I just got my GMRS license. I was wondering if you can use a Beofeng uv5r with a 50 watt amp remotely mounted in my Jeep and pair with really good antenna. Would this work? if so, Any suggestions on equipment? I have been runing a galaxy Pluto CB for years.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I don’t believe that it is legal to transmit GMRS with a baofeng.

Update, maybe it is legal; I had always heard it was not. If you are going to push 50 watts you should consider a higher quality radio to keep interference to a minimum. There is a reason this radio is cheap and amplifying it will accentuate any flaws it might (does) have.

Last edited:

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
Good to know. How about a similar type radio? I want something that won’t take up much room.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I bought this for a quick easy grab and go gmrs that can hit repeaters and allows to listen only on HAM bands.

BTECH GMRS-V1 GMRS Two-Way Radio, GMRS Repeater Capable, with Dual Band Scanning Receiver (136-174.99mhz (VHF) 400-520.99mhz (UHF))

then ended up ordering a midland mxt275 to leave in the 4Runner since it’s all controlled on the mic and I can hide the actual radio out of sight.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Updated my post above; may be legal but I don’t recommend it. I don’t do GMRS so I have nothing for you. If you ever plan on getting your ham ticket a cheap yaesu might be a nicer radio for a little more. Not sure what ham radios are legally able to cross over into GMRS tho...

A handheld with external antenna can be a bit of a pain with the stiff coax attached to the radio. Makes it a little trickier to grab and cable management, etc. Highly recommend a dedicated mounted mobile AND a baofeng for when you are out on foot.

Reactions: Farmjeepwrangler

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
I bought this for a quick easy grab and go gmrs that can hit repeaters and allows to listen only on HAM bands.

BTECH GMRS-V1 GMRS Two-Way Radio, GMRS Repeater Capable, with Dual Band Scanning Receiver (136-174.99mhz (VHF) 400-520.99mhz (UHF))

then ended up ordering a midland mxt275 to leave in the 4Runner since it’s all controlled on the mic and I can hide the actual radio out of sight.
Great, I’ll look at the MXT 275 as well as the btech.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Updated my post above; may be legal but I don’t recommend it. I don’t do GMRS so I have nothing for you. If you ever plan on getting your ham ticket a cheap yaesu might be a nicer radio for a little more. Not sure what ham radios are legally able to cross over into GMRS tho...

A handheld with external antenna can be a bit of a pain with the stiff coax attached to the radio. Makes it a little trickier to grab and cable management, etc. Highly recommend a dedicated mounted mobile AND a baofeng for when you are out on foot.
The inconvenience of the coax attached to the radio is exactly why i ordered my mxt275. I haven’t had much luck catching anyone in range to talk with on mine but just messing with it in the car made me want a mobile unit.

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

GMRS radios have to be type accepted by the FCC. As of right now, Baofengs are not legal for use on GMRS in the US.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

Exactly! @Farmjeepwrangler you could get a mobile capable of being a GMRS repeater then repeat for an entire group, etc. Not sure how that would work but could imagine it being handy if you had a group of GMRS users overlanding. My wrangler has a mobile and a handheld or two; I always use the mobile. Just way more convenient.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Looks like only about half of the GMRS channels allow 50 watts so pay attention ;)

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The space occupied by a Handheld and amp combined with the extra coax running between the two is going to be fiddly and take up as much space or more than a good mobile unit. You can get a solid commercial surplus radio you can use on GMRS for less than the cost of the amp alone