Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
For what it's worth I wasn't attacking anyone, or directing my thoughts at anyone in particular for that matter. Simply stating my opinion in this thread just like the rest of us. I'm not hurt, but I think if your idea of guidance is simply telling someone that their stuff is inadequate then you should probably avoid guiding people anyways.

I'm only suggesting that we lead the proverbial horse to the water, I myself bypassed OB a handful of times when researching overlanding until I finally realized the wealth of information here. Sometimes it just takes a nudge. I, like all of us, have witnessed this very phenomenon, showing someone how to find the information they need and ultimately being ignored. We can only do so much, but I think we should be doing what we can. In as much as the internet is an incredible resource for all the information one could want, it is also fantastic at spreading misinformation which is easily absorbed by the uninitiated.

I had a good friend who had built the entire upstairs of his house into scale railroading, detail like you wouldn't believe. Nearly 1,000 sq ft dedicated to just scale models. I think he said he started in the 50's or 60's and the rooms were a culmination of some 70 years of work. I've got scale RC trucks, and I can't even remember the last time I had it out. Kudos to you for keeping on track with that!
I try not to let any of my hobbies become obsessions nor singularly define who I am. Overlanding, Landcruisers, trains, etc is but a small part of who I am. I had a wake up call about 10 years ago when my young grandson asked me, after I went on about camping & vehicle related things. He asked, Grandpa, is that all you know about? 8 year olds have a way of cutting right to the chase.

Reactions: ZRex

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm glad someone is finding some kind of helpful info here. But that isn't the case for me I've been on a little over 4 years and have found nothing I didn't already know from offroading all my life.
All common knowledge that anyone with access to an internet search engine (google) can easily find. Or instead of calling a mfg to get specs come here and ask and wait and wait and wait for someone to look it up for you or agree with you on a decision.
Maybe I'm jaded and have a been there done that attitude of things because well I've been there and done that already.
For example if I'm going to tell someone how to install a lift they had better have a pile of parts already in front of them id rather not waste my time explaining lift install to someone who is just thinking about doing it and is asking just to hear themselves talk.

Reactions: Old Tanker and MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm glad someone is finding some kind of helpful info here. But that isn't the case for me I've been on a little over 4 years and have found nothing I didn't already know from offroading all my life.
All common knowledge that anyone with access to an internet search engine (google) can easily find. Or instead of calling a mfg to get specs come here and ask and wait and wait and wait for someone to look it up for you or agree with you on a decision.
Maybe I'm jaded and have a been there done that attitude of things because well I've been there and done that already.
For example if I'm going to tell someone how to install a lift they had better have a pile of parts already in front of them id rather not waste my time explaining lift install to someone who is just thinking about doing it and is asking just to hear themselves talk.
I sometimes find it bothersome as well. However, that’s what vehicle specific forums are for. All too often, here on OB and other similar forums someone will spend a pile of money on any given thing and go about giving unwarranted positive reviews. One may as well just read the advertisements. When experienced people don’t jump on the bandwagon their opinions are often ostrisized or ignored. Expensive, portable, battery powered power packs come to mind.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Interesting thread. I joined because I am thinking for driving the southern Pan American for a few years. It's been good for the most part. I also have been amazed at the sheep like attuned of many here. Why do you drive with all your kit hanging off your rig 100% of the time? Unless you are full timing I don't think it's to use. The RTT's are heavy, the rollout awning are permanent, I get leaving them on, the new shovel and Rotopax/Jerrycans not so much. When I get on the road for a week or two I can find the time to pack some how.
Why this tent or that one? Why a refrigerator instead of a ice chest for a couple of days per year? Who uses a scotty at home? I can go on and on.
The choices I make are for how I camp and what I do, not because of a marketing or influencer tell me this is "WHATEVER. "

Reactions: Desert Runner

Badazzerus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Gurley, AL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Collins
Member #

I like primitive camping. Wife on other hand not so much. I don’t really do “overlanding” I go camping. Mainly just to fish. just so happens the places I fish are remote. most people want to follow a fad. they see someone with a roof top tent then they need one and so on. once A new fad comes along they will flock to it. Like lowering the rear of your truck.

Reactions: Arailt

Bpjr07

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baldwin Park, CA, USA
First Name
Ramiro
Last Name
Vargas
Member #

I see a lot of signs telling me that the overlanding fad has reached its peak. I know of 2 or 3 people here locally that have dumped a pile of money into a hobby that they never do. They have 50-60k wrapped up in it and have never been anywhere, not even quick weekends up in the woods, not even curb hopping at their favorite mall. Just yesterday I saw a pretty common sight these days, a completely kitted out & modified, almost new, Rubicon with bald tires. Sad. Ya know they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, they can’t even afford to keep rubber. It’s not the cost of gasoline either, it just isn’t that high. Sure, in the past year it has gone up 75 cents to a dollar a gallon, from pre covid price per gallon, but even for my gas guzzler that’s only 20 more dollars per 250 miles. That’s just 400 more dollars for a 5,000 mile round trip. I just think a lot of people got into this hobby because of the “ look at me / cool factor” and now that they’re invested they are finding out they don’t have the money to sustain it. Just random thoughts from an old dude at 6:00 AM while my head is still clear. Eh? LOL let the conversation begin !!
Either they cant afford it, but most likely they are not into it. Figured it out after they bought all the gear.

Now they keep it to look cool. And are able to wear carhart clothing to their accounting jobs lol.

Its like any other hobby... only difference is you can show it off eveyday lol, and never do.

Seen people dump over 100k in offroading because its so fun when they road shotgun in their buddy's rig or rzr offroader.
Dump all the money to figure out its not really for them, they never take to account the work.

Reactions: Desert Runner