• HTML tutorial

C7mb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Massachusetts
Member #

Hello everyone!

Ive had my Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX tires on for around 800 miles so far and have had a lot of trouble with vibrations. When the tires were mounted, the wheels were statically balanced and everything felt great on the drive home. That weekend, I made a 500 mile trip to Vermont and the wheels began to develop some vibration between 55-75 mph. I figured it was a result of the tires being broken in, and the wheels not being dynamically (Road Force) balanced.

Fast forward to two weeks later, and I just had them Road Force balanced. The weights and their placement changed significantly and I mounted the wheels according to the Road Force numbers (highest number mounted furthest from the steering wheel). Once again, they were great for a day but now I have a vibration at 55-65 mph (some improvement).

Is this just a result of larger (265/70/17), more aggressive tires? Would balancing beads fix my problem once and for all? I know that they will never be perfect and that my 1.5" spacers exaggerate the imbalance, but I hate the steering wheel shimmy.

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Hello everyone!

Ive had my Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX tires on for around 800 miles so far and have had a lot of trouble with vibrations. When the tires were mounted, the wheels were statically balanced and everything felt great on the drive home. That weekend, I made a 500 mile trip to Vermont and the wheels began to develop some vibration between 55-75 mph. I figured it was a result of the tires being broken in, and the wheels not being dynamically (Road Force) balanced.

Fast forward to two weeks later, and I just had them Road Force balanced. The weights and their placement changed significantly and I mounted the wheels according to the Road Force numbers (highest number mounted furthest from the steering wheel). Once again, they were great for a day but now I have a vibration at 55-65 mph (some improvement).

Is this just a result of larger (265/70/17), more aggressive tires? Would balancing beads fix my problem once and for all? I know that they will never be perfect and that my 1.5" spacers exaggerate the imbalance, but I hate the steering wheel shimmy.
I have often wondered about balance beads as well. If you try them please leave feedback.

C7mb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Massachusetts
Member #

What wheels are you running and what spacers are you running? Are both proper hub/lug centric for your vehicle?
Brand new Method NVs and used spidertrax spacers. Both are vehicle specific. When I mount either of them there is no play between the wheel hub.

I have often wondered about balance beads as well. If you try them please leave feedback.
Yes I definitely will!

That's not a large tire at all. I'd suspect something other than the tire balance from the description. I'd start checking suspension.
Hmm, with the new wheels and tires I installed new CV axles and hub bearings. Maybe it's the ball joints or tie rod ends? I know the control arm bushings are pretty dry rotted...

Handsome Devil

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pismo Beach California
Member #

Vibration is very subjective. Are we talking about a light shimmy that could be the cause of different road materials? Concrete, asphalt, etc.

Spacers are a huge factor. If I were to get your vehicle in my shop the first thing I would do after checking the balance is a test drive without the spacers.

Then I would check the distance between the hub and the wheel, then the lugs as mentioned previously. I know that particular wheel is supposed to be made specifically for the Tacoma, so again, the spacers are suspect.

The problem with spacers is that they don't use the Hub to support the weight of the vehicle, they use the lugs. As such, the wheels are not properly balanced to the truck. The Hub is designed to support the weight while the lugs are designed to fasten the wheel to the hub. While the lugs can certainly support the vehicle, it is very dangerous to be driven that way. I've broken my fair share of lugs before I realized this (often all of them on the same wheel at the same time).

I also agree that your particular wheel size is nowhere near big enough to have balancing issues. I've personally balanced 35's and down with little issue. but you do have pretty massive tread on your rig, so vibration may be something you'll just have to learn to love.

My personal suggestion is to ditch the spacers. If you want a wider track, I would suggest wheels with a large negative offset (of which method makes many).

If the vibration doesn't go away, jack up the front of the vehicle and grab the front wheels and give them a shake. if they have play, have a friend shake while you look at the tie rods. If the ball on the tie rod end shakes, you know your culprit, if the ball is rock solid and you still have play, it's the inner tie rod that's attached to the rack.

Good luck and let me know what you find!

Last edited:

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

I've heard Balance beads are nasty at lower speeds. I imagine balance matters less at slower speeds, but i think theres a minimum speed before they actually work well.

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

I have used beads for over a year. 285 ko2's . I have no problem at low speed. I get a slight vibration at speed,,,,,,, sometimes,,,,,,,turn a corner it goes away,,,,,,,, hit a bump it goes away. I think I didn't use enough , I followed the instructions but just seems to need more.

Sent from my SM-P580 using OB Talk mobile app

C7mb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Massachusetts
Member #

Vibration is very subjective. Are we talking about a light shimmy that could be the cause of different road materials? Concrete, asphalt, etc.

Spacers are a huge factor. If I were to get your vehicle in my shop the first thing I would do after checking the balance is a test drive without the spacers.

Then I would check the distance between the hub and the wheel, then the lugs as mentioned previously. I know that particular wheel is supposed to be made specifically for the Tacoma, so again, the spacers are suspect.

The problem with spacers is that they don't use the Hub to support the weight of the vehicle, they use the lugs. As such, the wheels are not properly balanced to the truck. The Hub is designed to support the weight while the lugs are designed to fasten the wheel to the hub. While the lugs can certainly support the vehicle, it is very dangerous to be driven that way. I've broken my fair share of lugs before I realized this (often all of them on the same wheel at the same time).

I also agree that your particular wheel size is nowhere near big enough to have balancing issues. I've personally balanced 35's and down with little issue. but you do have pretty massive tread on your rig, so vibration may be something you'll just have to learn to love.

My personal suggestion is to ditch the spacers. If you want a wider track, I would suggest wheels with a large negative offset (of which method makes many).

If the vibration doesn't go away, jack up the front of the vehicle and grab the front wheels and give them a shake. if they have play, have a friend shake while you look at the tie rods. If the ball on the tie rod end shakes, you know your culprit, if the ball is rock solid and you still have play, it's the inner tie rod that's attached to the rack.

Good luck and let me know what you find!
Thank you for all of the info!

So funny update, the vibration has been significantly reduced through normal driving. One day, it just went away. I completely agree that the spacers are most likely the cause since they were purchased used. They have a few dents which could affect centripetal force, and some oxidation/rust which could push them further off axis.

I think I will just live with the little vibration that is left. Hopefully, once I change the tie rod ends, control arm bushings and ball joints, I will be able to zero in on the issue.

I've heard Balance beads are nasty at lower speeds. I imagine balance matters less at slower speeds, but i think theres a minimum speed before they actually work well.
From the research I have been doing, I hear they "slosh" around at low speeds. Not a huge problem for me as long as they are relatively quiet.

I have used beads for over a year. 285 ko2's . I have no problem at low speed. I get a slight vibration at speed,,,,,,, sometimes,,,,,,,turn a corner it goes away,,,,,,,, hit a bump it goes away. I think I didn't use enough , I followed the instructions but just seems to need more.

Sent from my SM-P580 using OB Talk mobile app
How hard are they to install/remove? I have read that you will need to remove the tire to install the beads?

Reactions: Handsome Devil