Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
On March 23 my daughter and I went on an outing with B.O.A.R. on the Pony Express Trail to Simpson Springs, then south on Simpson Springs Death Canyon Rd to Baker Hot Springs. From there we went east to an old volcanic crater.DSCN0503.JPGDSCN0505.JPGDSCN0507.JPGDSCN0530.JPGDSCN0529.JPGDSCN0528.JPGDSCN0503.JPGDSCN0504.JPGDSCN0505.JPGDSCN0503.JPGDSCN0503.JPGDSCN0503.JPGDSCN0503.JPGDSCN0504.JPG

Attachments

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

That looks like a blast. I have ran the Pony Express but haven't stayed out there yet. Did you stop and search for geodes?

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
That looks like a blast. I have ran the Pony Express but haven't stayed out there yet. Did you stop and search for geodes?
You cannot do that on the Pony Express Trail because it is part of the National Park Service. Technically it is even illegal to have a metal detector in you vehicle, even if you don't use it, and you stop for any length of time on the trail. I am not sure if you need an NPS permit to camp at Simpson Springs.

Reactions: Cendee

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

You cannot do that on the Pony Express Trail because it is part of the National Park Service. Technically it is even illegal to have a metal detector in you vehicle, even if you don't use it, and you stop for any length of time on the trail. I am not sure if you need an NPS permit to camp at Simpson Springs.
Yeah I'm not sure either. I thought there was a campground out that way but could be thinking of another area. I have seen pictures of geodes from somewhere out that way. Just not familiar enough with the area to know. Was a great day seeing the sights and making the trek to wendover! Actually just found this so they are out there

Looks like you can camp there also

Last edited:

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
looks like a great trip. I will store this in my to-go list for the future. Do you think it would be off-road trailer worthy (teardrop with max-coupler and high clearance). Also, any chance of getting some GPS tracks?

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

looks like a great trip. I will store this in my to-go list for the future. Do you think it would be off-road trailer worthy (teardrop with max-coupler and high clearance). Also, any chance of getting some GPS tracks?
Oh you could definitely take an offroad trailer. The trail is more of a scenic drive no obstacles.

Reactions: FireMedicPQ1

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Oh you could definitely take an offroad trailer. The trail is more of a scenic drive no obstacles.
That area is great and you'd be fine with your trailer, dispersed camping all over the place.. hit up @Knitron for details, he's been there at least 3 times in 2 yrs and likely has a GPS track you could use. Happy trails! Also, don't forget to check our topaz mountain if you make the trip, not far.. but some cool stuff to rock hound!

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Yeah I'm not sure either. I thought there was a campground out that way but could be thinking of another area. I have seen pictures of geodes from somewhere out that way. Just not familiar enough with the area to know. Was a great day seeing the sights and making the trek to wendover! Actually just found this so they are out there

Looks like you can camp there also
Dugway beds are just north of the trail and are not within the NPS area. Simpson Springs has a campground, but I don't know if it is on BLM or NPS land. I have been wanting to the geode beds myself.

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
That area is great and you'd be fine with your trailer, dispersed camping all over the place.. hit up @Knitron for details, he's been there at least 3 times in 2 yrs and likely has a GPS track you could use. Happy trails! Also, don't forget to check our topaz mountain if you make the trip, not far.. but some cool stuff to rock hound!
All of it totally trailer worthy. Rough dirt roads, some big pot holes. No permits required to camp at Simpson Springs. No water there but vault toilets. It's all BLM land except the Dougway Proving Grounds it's just north of the Pony Express road, trust me you'll know if you get near it. If you go to Topaz there is a private mine that you have to pay to get into. They do have surveillance . There is plenty of open area to mine though. Haven't made it to Baker Hot Springs yet. Would like to one day. I'll post tracks when I get a chance. They're is plenty of rock hounding out there. Geodes, Topaz, Sunstones, Wonder stone. Cool place.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I got some info on Simpson Springs campground. As Jason said it is on BLM land. 20 sites 2vehicles/ 8 persons per site. $15 a night (probably the honor system of money in envelope and put in a lock box). Potable water from March to November and pit toilets. Might be an interesting place to camp.

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

I got some info on Simpson Springs campground. As Jason said it is on BLM land. 20 sites 2vehicles/ 8 persons per site. $15 a night (probably the honor system of money in envelope and put in a lock box). Potable water from March to November and pit toilets. Might be an interesting place to camp.
Yeah that sounds like a great time. Cruise over to the geobeds one day! Kids would love it.