Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
Just thought I'd put out a warning. Came home to find that someone had taken my Baja Rack along with the LED's I recently installed. Was just parked in my apartment complex's lot.

Never thought someone would steal it off my rig. Pretty bummed. Security bolts on the next one?

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
I don't think I can post images yet...
<--- did that work? It fits a 4th gen 4runner, the standard rack with 2 side LED's and 2 rears that I just added. Anyways, I kind of doubt that it will end up on craigslist. Seems like such a specialized item. Unfortunately I assume that it is another 4th gen 4runner owner that saw my rig parked there for a few days and then decided to steal it. I'm going to be looking closely at any that I pass now.

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
Yeah man, seems like a real unlikely crime? I hope anyways. Leaving my rig parked at work in the meantime. It's funny because I have been worried about my catalytic converter, scepter cans, etc. never worried about the rack. I need to get a place with a driveway.

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

I don't think I can post images yet...
<--- did that work? It fits a 4th gen 4runner, the standard rack with 2 side LED's and 2 rears that I just added. Anyways, I kind of doubt that it will end up on craigslist. Seems like such a specialized item. Unfortunately I assume that it is another 4th gen 4runner owner that saw my rig parked there for a few days and then decided to steal it. I'm going to be looking closely at any that I pass now.
Maybe any distinguishing marks? Dents maybe? My gobi would be hard to steel but its got a few marks I could ID.

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
Hmm well I had to repaint it with Rustoleum Hammered Black spray paint due to rust issues, so that's pretty distinctive. Also there are a couple of indentations on the driver side upper rail from the some quick fists I had mounted at one point. I could definitely ID it but I'm not sure anyone else could though. I will be checking craigslist just in case. Also because now I am in the market for a roof rack :cry:

Loud Runner

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose
Member #

This worries me, I'm in the same area as well. Hope you get it back. Does insurance cover those kinds of situations?

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
Not sure if insurance covers it. Pretty sure car insurance does not and I only have liability anyway. I have renters insurance but I don't have a receipt for the rack so it's pretty unlikely.

BTW, there is a Baja Rack listed on craigslist right now that is in Sunnyvale. It is NOT mine however. I almost had a heart attack when I first saw it but that one is for a campershell.

My rack is the one below. I picked up a set of stock roof rails that I'll be using for the near future. Might construct a cheapo fairing for it for when I put wood up there.
IMG_20170521_125933.jpg

Reactions: Loud Runner

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
Well I got it back! Saw it mounted on a ratty van right across the street from where it was stolen from! Couldn't believe my eyes. I stopped to check it out and it was definitely mine. Same rust spots showing through the hammered black paint I had applied a few months earlier. It still had part of the mic stand I had mounted to it attached too.

Looks like the guy lives in it right there. It's in front of a low-rent apartment complex and next to a liquor store. The hood was up, windows were open and the side and rear doors were ajar. I assumed he was sleeping in it right then.

I went home and grabbed a pair of bolt cutters, a step stool, my tool belt, and a hammer... just in case things got sketchy. I drove back and nosed it up to his hood so he couldn't drive off. Had my wife stay in the car and record video. He rigged it to his roof rails with zipties and a U-bolt. The bolt cutters made quick work of that. I kept expecting him to come out with a bat but he never did.

This all happened yesterday and we drove past it today and there was this tweaker dude sweeping the sidewalk out in front of the van. My wife was like, "That's him!" Apparently she saw him slowly ride by on his bike, staring at me taking off the rack. So he knows who I am, and I know who who he is. Hopefully that was the end of it.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Well I got it back! Saw it mounted on a ratty van right across the street from where it was stolen from! Couldn't believe my eyes. I stopped to check it out and it was definitely mine. Same rust spots showing through the hammered black paint I had applied a few months earlier. It still had part of the mic stand I had mounted to it attached too.

Looks like the guy lives in it right there. It's in front of a low-rent apartment complex and next to a liquor store. The hood was up, windows were open and the side and rear doors were ajar. I assumed he was sleeping in it right then.

I went home and grabbed a pair of bolt cutters, a step stool, my tool belt, and a hammer... just in case things got sketchy. I drove back and nosed it up to his hood so he couldn't drive off. Had my wife stay in the car and record video. He rigged it to his roof rails with zipties and a U-bolt. The bolt cutters made quick work of that. I kept expecting him to come out with a bat but he never did.

This all happened yesterday and we drove past it today and there was this tweaker dude sweeping the sidewalk out in front of the van. My wife was like, "That's him!" Apparently she saw him slowly ride by on his bike, staring at me taking off the rack. So he knows who I am, and I know who who he is. Hopefully that was the end of it.
What an idiot hahah. Glad you got it back! Be safe out there...

Reactions: GABEHERNANDEZ

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

I would get pictures of him and his car; plates to. Then I would do a "suspicious car" call on him. Have LEO check him out. He might leave the area after that.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Doug C

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

That's crazy! Good thing most criminals aren't too bright! Glad you got it back. I can only imagine your reaction when you saw it.

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

I would get pictures of him and his car; plates to. Then I would do a "suspicious car" call on him. Have LEO check him out. He might leave the area after that.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Yea, I would do what he said. This guy did it to you and will probably do it to someone else where you live or possible you again. Like I said they're not too bright.