Member I

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Esson
Member #

Whats up guys!

I am new to this site and I am stoked to be apart of the group! I have done many different expeditions but I have never done a Baja trip! I know many people have done this expedition on these forums but I am planning on going down to Baja in 2020. I have been reaching out to people and getting valuable information on routes, campsites and etc. If anyone has information or wanted to join please let me know!

Thanks!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

First trip to Baja was 1961. First overland was 1974 at 16. What what are you looking for? What do you like to do, fish, kayak, surf, wind surf, bike ride, see old stuff?
How much time do you have? How adventurous are you? Can you get yourself out of sand? You can PM me if you want. I have driven the Highway lots (20 to 24 hours of drive time), also drove to the tip on dirt a couple of times too.

Reactions: arupp

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Welcome. I have only been once. Hopefully I can go again in 2020. Be sure to do a search as there is info to get from others threads. Look through the Overland Trip Planning section. As @MMc mentioned there are a lot of variables to planning a trip down there. Especially how much time do you have.

Rogeresson25

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Esson
Member #

Welcome. I have only been once. Hopefully I can go again in 2020. Be sure to do a search as there is info to get from others threads. Look through the Overland Trip Planning section. As @MMc mentioned there are a lot of variables to planning a trip down there. Especially how much time do you have.
Thank you!
Let me know if you would like to joint for 2020. I have been doing a lot of research on the route so far and a little bit about what to bring on the way. I plan on going for a week so I won't be doing a full Baja trip but at least see some of the country and camp spots that look amazing! What route did you take? I know there are some places that you have to pay for camping and places that you don't, any suggestions?

Rogeresson25

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Esson
Member #

First trip to Baja was 1961. First overland was 1974 at 16. What what are you looking for? What do you like to do, fish, kayak, surf, wind surf, bike ride, see old stuff?
How much time do you have? How adventurous are you? Can you get yourself out of sand? You can PM me if you want. I have driven the Highway lots (20 to 24 hours of drive time), also drove to the tip on dirt a couple of times too.
Sounds like you have had many good trips down there! I am only going for a week so I won't do a full Baja trip. I am very adventurous and would like to discover some remote areas and more secluded areas as well. I am planning on going down through the Tijuana border. From there, I want to travel down to Ensenada and camp out at the private ranch at La Bufadora just south of Ensenada on the peninsula there, have you been there? From there I want to go directly to the East coast taking some part of the Baja 1000 course if possible ( I have a vert capable rig to do some rock crawling) which would spit me out towards San Felipe area. From there, I would just travel the coast a little bit and then head back up.

I would love to fish, Kayak and surf if possible. Let me know your ideas and opinion on this!

Thanks again!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thank you!
Let me know if you would like to joint for 2020. I have been doing a lot of research on the route so far and a little bit about what to bring on the way. I plan on going for a week so I won't be doing a full Baja trip but at least see some of the country and camp spots that look amazing! What route did you take? I know there are some places that you have to pay for camping and places that you don't, any suggestions?
Everywhere we camped we paid. Not a big deal. Stayed at Pete's Camp in San Felipe, paid a gate keeper at Punta Finale, stayed at Archelon in Bay of LA (Highly recommend), paid a random dude in San Francisquito, and stayed in an RV park in Guerrero Negro. The roads have changed because of a hurricane and slowed some folks down. If you are only going for a week you really can't get down to southern Baja. I don't have a lot of additional advice. There are lots of great write-ups. Be humble and polite and you won't have any problems with anyone down there. I would like to go down for 2-3 weeks but that is always a challenge for most folks.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You'll have a great time. I have friends that live by La Bufadora and go there often. There isn't much surf there. Think about taking the road To Punta San Jose (Surf) and heading south through Erendira and coming out via San Vicente. "Wanna surf.com" is your friend.
Getting to San Felipe (Sea of Cortez) on dirt is done via 2 ways:
1. The graded road south of San Vicente to Lazaro Cardenas on Hwy 3.
2. The road from San Telmo towards Sierra de San Pedro Martir, leave the road and head to Mike's sky ranch and north from there. You can head to the Melling ranch. Heading north from there, acces can be a issue. Either way you'll be on some of the 1000 past courses.
San Felipe is a party kinda town. Head south and check out Punta Final very cool place lots of beaches to play on. Lots of dirt roads to cruise too. If you have time go see Coco at Coco's Corner. The man is legend, sign his book and buy a beer.
This will give you a fun exposure to Baja. Do whatever your want, it's your trip.

Rogeresson25

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Esson
Member #

You'll have a great time. I have friends that live by La Bufadora and go there often. There isn't much surf there. Think about taking the road To Punta San Jose (Surf) and heading south through Erendira and coming out via San Vicente. "Wanna surf.com" is your friend.
Getting to San Felipe (Sea of Cortez) on dirt is done via 2 ways:
1. The graded road south of San Vicente to Lazaro Cardenas on Hwy 3.
2. The road from San Telmo towards Sierra de San Pedro Martir, leave the road and head to Mike's sky ranch and north from there. You can head to the Melling ranch. Heading north from there, acces can be a issue. Either way you'll be on some of the 1000 past courses.
San Felipe is a party kinda town. Head south and check out Punta Final very cool place lots of beaches to play on. Lots of dirt roads to cruise too. If you have time go see Coco at Coco's Corner. The man is legend, sign his book and buy a beer.
This will give you a fun exposure to Baja. Do whatever your want, it's your trip.
Thank you for the great advice and information! I will defiantly use this for when I go next year. I currently need to make a map of the route I will be doing.

Thanks again and I will let you know if I have anymore questions.

Cheers!

Rogeresson25

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Esson
Member #

Everywhere we camped we paid. Not a big deal. Stayed at Pete's Camp in San Felipe, paid a gate keeper at Punta Finale, stayed at Archelon in Bay of LA (Highly recommend), paid a random dude in San Francisquito, and stayed in an RV park in Guerrero Negro. The roads have changed because of a hurricane and slowed some folks down. If you are only going for a week you really can't get down to southern Baja. I don't have a lot of additional advice. There are lots of great write-ups. Be humble and polite and you won't have any problems with anyone down there. I would like to go down for 2-3 weeks but that is always a challenge for most folks.
Thanks again for the awesome info! I will put all of this into my notes and come up with a plan.

Thanks again! I appreciate the help!