Baja Holiday 2019 for a newbie?

• HTML tutorial

Stuck-on-Rovers

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose Ca
Member #

Is there any good reason I should rethink my first long (more than 3 day) overland trip to Baja California Mexico next month? YouTube videos seem great. Security seems to be common sense. I will be going solo except for my girlfriend. Need to stay in the 10-12 day range. Would love suggestions. Cheers!

Reactions: Pindal

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I have never had any issues in Baja....
I would suggest you cross at Tecate and come down 3 through Valle de Guadalupe and check out the wineries. Even if you are not into wine it is impressive to see how things have improved over the years.
Ensenada is a pass through but at least you will know it for future trips to watch the NORRA Mexican 1000 or other cool race.
It will be colder and windy on the Pacific side but you can choose to go south along the coast from Ensenada or cross over to San Felipe (my choice). Lots of beach camping near there and going south.

It is a long drive from Bahia de Los Angeles to points way south like Guerro Negro, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, or Loreto....if you have 12 days then absolutely go down the west coast and come back on the east.

bajanomads.com is a great forum for quick info.

Reactions: Stuck-on-Rovers

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You should go! I go solo most of the time. Pat attention, don't do stupid shit, don't drive at night. There are plenty of supplies in most towns for basic foodstuffs. I've been going there for 40 plus years. If you want so beta PM me. There is a group going rust after Christmas, check there for paper work info.

Reactions: Stuck-on-Rovers

Stuck-on-Rovers

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose Ca
Member #

I have never had any issues in Baja....
I would suggest you cross at Tecate and come down 3 through Valle de Guadalupe and check out the wineries. Even if you are not into wine it is impressive to see how things have improved over the years.
Ensenada is a pass through but at least you will know it for future trips to watch the NORRA Mexican 1000 or other cool race.
It will be colder and windy on the Pacific side but you can choose to go south along the coast from Ensenada or cross over to San Felipe (my choice). Lots of beach camping near there and going south.

It is a long drive from Bahia de Los Angeles to points way south like Guerro Negro, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, or Loreto....if you have 12 days then absolutely go down the west coast and come back on the east.

bajanomads.com is a great forum for quick info.
i saw info about the wineries and appreciate the great advice. More excited hearing first hand experiences. thank you.