Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Anyone ever have any issues bringing firewood or fuel to Baja?
Not at all. We used to take 50gal drums and some check points would open one of them and look inside. Shouldn’t be a big deal at all. If you bring a lot of firewood, a trailer full, stack it in a way that someone could easily search it or see that you’re not hiding anything in or under it. My $.02

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You MAY NOT CROSS with fuel or firewood into Baja. They often check my containers, I have 3 trips so far this year and been going there for 60 years. Mexico is tighting up on enforcement of it rules. The gas in Baja is from the US and cheaper than CA.get it there, fire wood is importing bugs and pistilents that they don't want. They may or may not let you cross with ether.
I have learned to not have many campfires while in Baja as the wood I can be scarce.

Last edited:

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I was just there and agree with MMc. Read the reg's of what you can/can not bring across. You can bring gas containers, but no fuel in them. As MMc said, gas is cheaper than CA! Fuel up down there. I have no experience with firewood, yet what MMc said makes sense. Honestly, I found free wood down there.

Reactions: MMc

Alexrodgers24

Rank IV

Contributor III

Midpines, California 95345, United States
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Rodgers
Member #

You MAY NOT CROSS with fuel or firewood into Baja. They often check my containers, I have 3 trips so far this year and been going there for 60 years. Mexico is tighting up on enforcement of it rules. The gas in Baja is from the US and cheaper than CA.get it there, fire wood is importing bugs and pistilents that they don't want. They may or may not let you cross with ether.
I have learned to not have many campfires while in Baja as the wood I can be scarce.
Thanks! How's the availability of diesel?

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Fuel at the stations I didn't see any issues, but... be aware, those stations can be many miles apart! Example, no stations open (to the public) between San Felipe & Guerrero Negro. We ran through Catavina on our way as my sources (map/internet) claimed gas in Catavina. ~330 miles and I average 380+ a tank..

That was the worst section as far as fuel goes. I have no idea how RT 1 out of Ensenada south is... We came in from AZ and ran Rt 5

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Interesting. Where are you crossing?

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Thanks! How's the availability of diesel?
Readily available at stations on your way to La Paz, that’s as far as I’ve gone. Take diesel water treatment in case you get a bad batch and start blowing white smoke. If you hit a taco stand with a 50 gal drum I’d say the majority of time it’s gas and not diesel. So if someone tells you there’s a small stand with a drum, be weary.

Reactions: Alexrodgers24

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I cross almost monthly, I have been checked at TJ, Tacate, and both Mexicali. I drive a 3/4 ton gas because I spend time in Mexico and fuel and parts is easier get. There is plenty of fuel in Baja, the stretch in above Villa Jesus Maria on both sides without gas stations, Fill up in El Rosario Or San Felipe and you can make VJM easy. Most small towns have a guy that sells gas if you ask. There are guys that sell gas along the highway too. I don't know of many guys that sell diesel out of 55's. There is plenty of diesel along the highways, not much in the boonies.

Last edited:
Reactions: KAIONE

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Anyone ever have any issues bringing firewood or fuel to Baja?
Howdy,

Lots of good advice so far. Hubby and I just got back from a 6 week Baja adventure on and off road down the east side to southern tip and back up the west side. Best to follow the rules in regards to what you bring over the border. The crossings and checkpoints are a roll of the dice on what or if they check but if/when they do check and find something your not supposed to have then you will be much delayed and lots of avoidable hassle. Gas is of good quality and cheeper then in CA so no reason to bring extra over the border. Once your over, fill up your spare tanks for those few long sections without stations. In a pinch there is always someone in town or along the road selling Gas (unknown quality) (rarely diesel) some of the stations have diesel some don’t.
Firewood is a different story as far as availability goes. Don’t bring it with you but it can be hard to find (not a lot of trees in Baja) we used a propane fire pit (Lava Box from www.fireanytime.com) and when possible and permitable, bought wood or gathered driftwood.
Water not one of you questions but don’t worry about water. All the grocery store/big gas stations carry very big jugs of bottled H2O and there are water purification stations in every town where you can get good clean water pumped into your tanks for very little $.

Enjoy. It’s a beautiful area with very friendly people.

Mike & Deb

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I cross almost monthly, I have been checked at TJ, Tacate, and both Mexicali. I drive a 3/4 ton gas because I spend time in Mexico and fuel and parts is easier get. There is plenty of fuel in Baja, the stretch in above Villa Jesus Maria on both sides without gas stations, Fill up in El Rosario Or San Felipe and you can make VJM easy. Most small towns have a guy that sells gas if you ask. There are guys that sell gas along the highway too. I don't know of many guys that sell diesel out of 55's. There is plenty of diesel along the highways, not much in the boonies.
Agreed about the gas. We took a trailer full of mesquite wood across the boarder for bbq’ing at Tecate and no one said a thing. Which is why I asked and why I said what I did. So we’ve just had a different experience.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Agreed about the gas. We took a trailer full of mesquite wood across the boarder for bbq’ing at Tecate and no one said a thing. Which is why I asked and why I said what I did. So we’ve just had a different experience.
It's Mexico, not all the rules are always followed.

Reactions: KAIONE

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Yep. Roll of the dice on what rules are enforced on that particular day and what level of searching they do on each vehicle so if you want to bring things you know aren’t allowed, it’s a personal choice on the risks. Our choice was to just follow the rules and avoid the potential hassle.

Reactions: MMc and KAIONE

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Yep. Roll of the dice on what rules are enforced on that particular day and what level of searching they do on each vehicle so if you want to bring things you know aren’t allowed, it’s a personal choice on the risks. Our choice was to just follow the rules and avoid the potential hassle.
I mostly do this. I have a charity that I support and bring food stuffs and clothing to help out. I do discize them. I have friends that save things for the old guys, I take them down about every 4 or 5 weeks.