Last Name
Morariu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KOP
Service Branch
Navy
HI,

I'm planning a trip to Baja over new years and would like some advice from someone with experience camping on the beach - boondocking. I'm interested in the area around San Felipe and to the south. We only have one week.

Thanks,
Sergio

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
The possibilities are endless... In general, there aren't a ton of people camping on the beaches in that area around that time of year. The majority that are, will most likely be in the more "established" areas & camps. The few days right around New Years Eve can be a bit crazy with a ton of folks shooting off fireworks in those areas. It's pretty safe to say you can get down there during the day & look around for a suitable spot to camp for the night, or several nights. Here's a few things to keep in mind:

Most of the dirt roads leading to the beach from Hwy 5 do not have gates, so you can drive in and take a look. Some of the land will be open & some will be privately owned. Even if it's privately owned, there may be no one around & no one on-site. If there is, they may allow you to camp on the beach for a night or more. The only way to know for sure is to ask. You may find a spot that looks deserted/open and set up camp, only to find that someone will come around and try to charge you for camping there. This may be legit & it might not. You might not be able to tell.... They typically charge $10 to $20 a night & you can sometimes negotiate. If there are closed or locked gates, or signs staying to stay out or no camping, your better off finding another spot. Some of the "Campos" that have homes in them also have a few campsites or a designated (if you can call it that...) camping areas. Most will have only a cabana or palapa with nothing else. If you are going to be by yourself and boondock, I'd avoid any spot where you can be seen from the highway.

If you haven't been to this area, the tides can be quite extreme, especially around the new & full moons. It's easy to find "the perfect spot" on the beach to set up camp, only to find out that the high tide line is above your site. Take a close look around before setting up camp & make sure your in a safe spot. Also, be VERY wary of the mud flats (or any mud for that matter). They can look dry on the surface, only to be wet/soft just an inch under. Over the years, we've seen a number of folks get their vehicles stuck in the mud and not be able to get out before the high tide comes in and floods their vehicle.

Something else to be aware of with the tides; pay close attention to the road going in to the beach. There are several areas where you can get out to a nice secluded beach and find a good spot to camp, but the road getting in drops below the level of the high tide. If you're not careful, you can get yourself stranded. At least until the tide/water level recedes enough for you to get back out. There are a number of these places that have multiple ways of getting in & out, so just take a good look around and consider these possibilities before setting up camp.

This is the time of year when the cold north winds can blow for days at a time. I'd suggest looking for a spot where you are a bit protected to the north. Also, be sure to secure everything before going to bed at night. The winds can go from 0 to 30 mph in a matter of minutes. Please believe me when I say it's NO FUN chasing your camp chairs down the beach in the middle of the night, in your chonies, in a cold north wind!!!

All that being said, we've had some awesome weather and some phenomenal trips in that area during that time of year.

Hope you guys have a great trip...

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

What HIALT2D said!!!!!! I am leaving for 2+ weeks. Do you want remote or a camp ground? There are great beaches, a couple of camp grounds, El Huerfanio, El Faro, Rancho Grande, Punta Final. All these places are a couple hours south of SF. Many of these places have palapas on the beach. I am not much of a fan of SF or the beaches just south. That’s just me.
While there you should go see Coco at Cocos corner, he is a legend and will not be around long.buy a beer or soda and he likes oranges.
Get Ins. From Baja Bound. You’ll love and let the kids run free. If there is weather high over 4 corners or a forecast for Santa Ana
winds in So Cal. will be very windy.
if it’s your first time think about a organized camp.

Jane and Sergio

Rank V

Influencer II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Morariu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KOP
Service Branch
Navy
Oh. It’s a 2020 F250 diesel with the Tremor package. I called last night about auto insurance. And recommendations and advice?

Roamerram

Rank I

Traveler I

Vail, AZ, USA
First Name
Doron
Last Name
Strassman
Member #

Oh. It’s a 2020 F250 diesel with the Tremor package. I called last night about auto insurance. And recommendations and advice?
I don't see an issue with insurance. If you have a loan and/or need to cover the value of the truck, it will be pricy.

The reason for my question is the ULSD fuel that is required for your truck. How did you verify that it available in Baja? the consequences of a miss step there are not going to be very good. I have a 16 RAM and have been reluctant to take the Mexico plunge because of the fuel risk.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

The Fuel in Baja is ultra low. It comes from the USA. I would take my own DEF, it’s down there but not all over. Most of the fuel Baja Sur is also ultra low but I am not sure it all is. I know of lots of folks that are driving new diesels there now.(Baja Sur)
I returned from there yesterday. I purchased a 2500 gas because it’s easer to find gas over diesel.

If you are driving a auto with a lien on it sometimes the Mex Ins wants a letter OK’ing you taking it into Mexico. If you are going for 2 weeks the price is about the same as a 1 year 90 day policy works if you are planing to return in the next year too.Go to BajaBound .com.

I just reread from the start. I would go to Bahia San Luis Gonzaga area and pay to camp under a Palapa. Get to know the area, go see Coco, and get a feel for the place. SF south is not my perverted area by the way. I am just giving a bit of advice. It’s worth what you paid for it.

Boba-Fett

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Banos, CA, USA
First Name
Gerardo
Last Name
Buitron
Member #

Hey Sergio I am planning a trip to Baja from Thursday to Sunday next week. Approximately 350 miles of road and off-road I will be crossing the border from Tecate the way down to Ojos Negros, then Ensenada to rest and eat tacos from there we will get back on the road towards Mike’s sky Ranch from there we will head towards the Pacific coast for some beach driving then we will be at the Baja 1000 trail up north back to Ensenada and I that will conclude the trip.

Jane and Sergio

Rank V

Influencer II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Morariu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KOP
Service Branch
Navy
Hey Sergio I am planning a trip to Baja from Thursday to Sunday next week. Approximately 350 miles of road and off-road I will be crossing the border from Tecate the way down to Ojos Negros, then Ensenada to rest and eat tacos from there we will get back on the road towards Mike’s sky Ranch from there we will head towards the Pacific coast for some beach driving then we will be at the Baja 1000 trail up north back to Ensenada and I that will conclude the trip.
We canceled Baja because the border closure. We are going to Sedona instead.