Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Does anyone have exprience with these winches? They have a 12000lb one for sale this weekend at Harbor Freight. I have a friend that said they work really well, He has 8000lb model on his YJ. However I am looking for more input.

Nig

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

WI
Member #

Line speed is a tad slow, the 12k may be faster than the 9k. Outside of that they are pretty good.

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

Egan I didnt look them up but what about Superwinch tigershark installed it did get a chance to use it yet but got good feedback on it hope it helps

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

What I am seeing online is they tend to overheat - stop working until they cool and pull slow, has anyone exprienced these issues?

Clang

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Denver, CO
Member #

I never had overheating issues with mine, but the measured current draw is higher than the Warn 12k that was on my Rover, so I could see how that may eventually trip the thermal shutoff.

To be fair, I never pulled anywhere near the 12k limit with mine for any length of time. I did use it to pull my 4 ton truck out of the mud with no issues though.

What I am seeing online is they tend to overheat - stop working until they cool and pull slow, has anyone exprienced these issues?

Clang

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Denver, CO
Member #

FWIW, you can get a Smittybilt 12k winch for about the same price - $399. I don't have personal experience with this particular winch, but the ratings are good.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

FWIW, you can get a Smittybilt 12k winch for about the same price - $399. I don't have personal experience with this particular winch, but the ratings are good.
The reason I asked about the badlands winch is it will be on sale this weekemd for $279.

Clang

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Denver, CO
Member #

For $279 I would just do it. They really are decent winches, and at that price value for $$ is unbeatable. I would "exercise" the winch a couple or three times a year. By this I mean spool the cable out and wind it back in under tension - it doesn't have to be a lot of tension. I drag my neighbor's quad with it in neutral, or have a buddy pull against it while I winch him in (on foot). This allows you to inspect the cable, and make sure the winch is operational.

Ideally your winch will be a convenience recovery device, meaning it makes recovery easier, but you are prepared and able to self recover without it, albeit with more time and effort. It can also function as a trail clearing assistant. I've used mine to help clear fallen trees and other large debris out of my path. In either of those cases, if it fails to perform as expected, you are not in a bind.

Also don't forget a good winch kit - tree protector, snatch block, cable dampener, gloves and a good D-ring or two.

The reason I asked about the badlands winch is it will be on sale this weekemd for $279.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I bought my Badlands 9.5k on eBay for $170!! I have loved it so far, only used it a handful of times but seems to work. Also, buy the wireless conversion kit, well worth the $40

Don Smith Jr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Somerset Kentucky
Member #

Love mine works great. I would recommend changing out the cheap grease they come with for a high quality grease. As others have said line speed is a tad slow but you shouldn't be in a hurry winching anyways.

Don Smith OB #2559

Don Smith Jr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Somerset Kentucky
Member #

Got my 12K tucked in my bumper. I had to flip the springs and clock it to get clearance. Way more winch than the 4arunner needs so I never have to work it at max capacity.

Don Smith OB #2559

Montanarally

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Flathead Valley, Montana, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Browning
Member #

They will fail . Mine worked great first 4-5 times then cracked housing. They sent another burnt up wiring . Had the old one still so I replaced it . Burnt up the solenoid short time later the. the motor burnt up.... maybe used 10 times or less . Using a ironman 12k now but prob go back to warn

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I really appreciate everyone's opinions, thanks.