US Northwest Bad Bear Picnic and social distancing socializing OB style.

• HTML tutorial

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Meet your local Member Representative, @David H, and the Northwest Regional Director @M Rose. Learn about NPLD, and what the Northwest region has in store. Want to get out and explore with fellow OB members, but unsure how? We will be talking about this as well.

View Rally Point

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Are people camping here as well or just coming at 11am and heading home at 11pm?
If you any one wants to camp, by all means, go for it. I can only stay for the day... I have plans on Saturday and then have to be back Monday to put a transmission into my rig.

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Only two are not booked because they’re first come first served. I don’t mind sharing a site if we anyone else wants to camp, just can’t 100% count on it and have to get there early. I could probably get there early and then go hike somewhere. Wife and dog staying home for this.

Reichling

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise County, ID, USA
Member #

There is a group site as well, is it reserved too?

I don't think there is a group site at that campground. I have only ever driven by that campground but usually if there is a group site it is listed as GRPx instead of the normal #000 site identifier on the recreation.gov. I looks like #004 and #005 are first come first serve, #001 is available for reservation, and the rest are reserved. I live just south of Idaho City so I can run up there in the morning on Sunday and see what it looks like as far as what sites are taken. We will bring two vehicles that way we can grab both FF sites if they are available. Though I would assume if someone already has them it would be from the night before since we are going there on Sunday.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don't think there is a group site at that campground. I have only ever driven by that campground but usually if there is a group site it is listed as GRPx instead of the normal #000 site identifier on the recreation.gov. I looks like #004 and #005 are first come first serve, #001 is available for reservation, and the rest are reserved. I live just south of Idaho City so I can run up there in the morning on Sunday and see what it looks like as far as what sites are taken. We will bring two vehicles that way we can grab both FF sites if they are available. Though I would assume if someone already has them it would be from the night before since we are going there on Sunday.

According to the map and the website the group site is in the back and has a max occupancy of 6 tents. It might not be open yet though. It would be great if you’re will to drive up there and check it out.

Reactions: Reichling

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm not 100% sure I can make this one. I have a 4 day trip the following weekend, and need to prep for it. We'll see though. I'd love to come out there. Maybe even bring the Kiddo.

• Sad
Reactions: David H and M Rose

Reichling

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise County, ID, USA
Member #

According to the map and the website the group site is in the back and has a max occupancy of 6 tents. It might not be open yet though. It would be great if you’re will to drive up there and check it out.
Gotcha, maybe site 002? I will stop by either today or tomorrow to take a look at it. If it is 002 that is reserved already according to the website but if we are lucky they might hit the road by mid-day since it is a Sunday.

1591816919116.png

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

I was thinking camp Saturday into Sunday but heck I don’t have a job anymore, I got all the time in the world! Let me know what the plan is. There’s also an overnight camp trip with a group here in Boise and I’m supposed to play board games Saturday so I have to pick ONE. Tough decisions.

Reactions: M Rose

Reichling

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise County, ID, USA
Member #

Checked it out yesterday evening. Bad Bear has the campground area which I didn't see any group camp sites just smaller sites. Directly on the other side of the highway is the Bad Bear Picnic area which is day use only and is what I am assuming is what you were talking about @M Rose. There is also the Ten Mile campground right down the road which seems to have some larger spots. One thing to note is that the picnic area is directly along the highway. The bathroom is about 20 feet from the side of the highway. If anyone has dogs they will want to keep them close.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Checked it out yesterday evening. Bad Bear has the campground area which I didn't see any group camp sites just smaller sites. Directly on the other side of the highway is the Bad Bear Picnic area which is day use only and is what I am assuming is what you were talking about @M Rose. There is also the Ten Mile campground right down the road which seems to have some larger spots. One thing to note is that the picnic area is directly along the highway. The bathroom is about 20 feet from the side of the highway. If anyone has dogs they will want to keep them close.

Yes I was thinking the picnic area... usually (here in Eastern Oregon) the campgrounds have a day use fee, while day use areas do not.

Reactions: Reichling

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
I'm not 100% sure I can make this one. I have a 4 day trip the following weekend, and need to prep for it. We'll see though. I'd love to come out there. Maybe even bring the Kiddo.
I know things are busy but I hope you can make it Brian... If not, stay safe, tell the family hi from us and look forward adventuring with you in July...
@David H

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
I wont be able to get up there until 10AM at the earliest. I'll bring my Overland Bound flag and fly it at the site...

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I wont be able to get up there until 10AM at the earliest. I'll bring my Overland Bound flag and fly it at the site...
We won’t be up there until about 11:00, probably a little later... I’m still stuck in Oregon Time.

Kallie and I are looking forward to meeting all of you.

• Haha
Reactions: David H

McQ

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boise, ID
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McHugh
Member #

looking forward to meeting some of y'all... i'm super new to this group and overlanding... just another hobby that i don't have enough money for :) will probably get up there around noon.

McQ

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boise, ID
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McHugh
Member #

Forgot to ask... it says picnic in the Rally point post. Should I be bringing food or beverages to share? if so, what is needed?

Reactions: David H