Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rice
Hey,

Quick background: my family has been in the farming/ranching/logging industry for generations and we've "roughed it" in simple 4x4s for a long time. My husband and I are general contractors specializing in home remodels. We are/were class V rafters, mountaineers, climbers, and guides. Since meeting in '96, we've owned a '94 Cherokee, '98 4Runner, 2001 4Runner, 2005 Tacoma, 2003 Silverado 2500HD. Currently have a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB Duramax. Stock except for Dean/Les Schwab Backcountry A/Ts (came with truck) in size LT275/70R18. Planning to get new Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws soon.

Historically, we've enjoyed backpacking and hiking big miles. However, my knees are trashed. "Old football injury" type of thing. Tim still enjoys doing 10+ miles of exploring each day but I'm only good for 2-3 miles. Over the holidays, we borrowed a travel trailer and visited Redwoods, Yosemite, and Death Valley. Great weather and wonderful times. In 2020 we'll be taking the trailer to the local ski hill at least 20 nights.

Our holiday trip was great and for this time of year we really enjoyed Death Valley. For Tim's birthday in March, I'd like to surprise him with an overland wildflower/hiking trip there. We have 90% of the gear/tools/etc. for overlanding and camping.

A few questions:
  • How often will the Duramax restrict our choice of route?
  • For the new tires: should/can I go slightly taller and/or wider for the trip?
  • Best resource for route planning? We have Garmin and Gaia GPS systems.
Thanks,

Jason

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A few questions:
Thanks,

Jason
I don‘t know how the Duramax will restrict you. I had a 2000 ram 2500 with 35x12.5R16s and never felt restricted in my travels, I am missing her like crazy.
as for tires, lots of tire threads, use the search function...it seams to be the best search I have ever used on a forum.
Rout Planning- GAIA is whet we recommend, and what we train on when giving navigation classes.

any other questions ask away.

are you still into whitewater rafting? We have some awesome rivers to float up here, and the 2020 season is booking up fast. I just got off the phone with my buddy Who owns ”Joining Waters Raft Rentals” in Elgin Oregon, who said the waters are expected to open up Mid April, and be full force by Mid May.

Last edited:

spfd jason

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rice
Looking like our March Death Valley trip will be a "GO!". Hooray. Now to coordinate Tim's hiking wish list with the road system. We've ordered Hiking Death Valley by Digonnet. Any other hiking guides you'd recommend?

For the Duramax, I'm ready to order a proper tow strap, snatch strap, hard shackles (3), soft shackle (1), receiver hitch stinger, Viair 88P and two recovery tracks. Nothing top of the line but should suffice for light duty. Any brands to definitely avoid? We already have a high lift jack, chain, come-a-long, picks, shovels, etc.

One question that I can't find the answer to: How tough are the factory front tow attachment points on a 2500HD? Seem to be conflicting answers across the webs.

I'm also considering doing a temporary front level kit. Currently, for day to day operations towing our work trailer, the GMC sits very level. But we could gain around 2" of front bumper clearance for this trip. Thoughts?

Current tires are LT275/70R18 (33.2"x10.8"). Anyone know if we could run 285/75R18 (34.8"x11.2") without having to do wheel well mods? Again, conflicting info on the forums.

Thanks.

@Slimpartywagon: we're still rafting and we're waiting to hear back from all the lottery applications. Never done the Ronde but its on the list!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Big G

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Looking like our March Death Valley trip will be a "GO!". Hooray. Now to coordinate Tim's hiking wish list with the road system. We've ordered Hiking Death Valley by Digonnet. Any other hiking guides you'd recommend?

For the Duramax, I'm ready to order a proper tow strap, snatch strap, hard shackles (3), soft shackle (1), receiver hitch stinger, Viair 88P and two recovery tracks. Nothing top of the line but should suffice for light duty. Any brands to definitely avoid? We already have a high lift jack, chain, come-a-long, picks, shovels, etc.

One question that I can't find the answer to: How tough are the factory front tow attachment points on a 2500HD? Seem to be conflicting answers across the webs.

I'm also considering doing a temporary front level kit. Currently, for day to day operations towing our work trailer, the GMC sits very level. But we could gain around 2" of front bumper clearance for this trip. Thoughts?

Current tires are LT275/70R18 (33.2"x10.8"). Anyone know if we could run 285/75R18 (34.8"x11.2") without having to do wheel well mods? Again, conflicting info on the forums.

Thanks.

@Slimpartywagon: we're still rafting and we're waiting to hear back from all the lottery applications. Never done the Ronde but its on the list!

Thanks!
Matt Crowson owns Joining Waters his contact information is (541) 962-5715 give him a call and leave a voicemail and he will get back to you

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
I wont pretend to know on the tires but I think full sizes are great for trips. You can comfortably bring what you want/need which includes plenty of gear for comfort, tools and all the parts if you break down, etc.

I think your recovery gear list is a good one. My only concern would be if a cheap maxxtrax knockoff would hold the weight of your truck if you needed it for bridging. This might be one of those buy once cry once kind of things. But as I dont own a set (on my list I should prob shut up. Ha).

Sounds like a great trip. The desert is amazing and spring colors with wildflowers anywhere in the west are really great. So cool to see the contrast from later in the year. Hope you share some pics after!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I wont pretend to know on the tires but I think full sizes are great for trips. You can comfortably bring what you want/need which includes plenty of gear for comfort, tools and all the parts if you break down, etc.

I think your recovery gear list is a good one. My only concern would be if a cheap maxxtrax knockoff would hold the weight of your truck if you needed it for bridging. This might be one of those buy once cry once kind of things. But as I dont own a set (on my list I should prob shut up. Ha).

Sounds like a great trip. The desert is amazing and spring colors with wildflowers anywhere in the west are really great. So cool to see the contrast from later in the year. Hope you share some pics after!
I wouldnt brige a razor side by side with a maxtraxx they really arent made for it and arent long enough to make much difference you would need to stack multiple just to hold the weight . Always take washouts at a slight angle so that atleast 1 wheel is on the ground while the other is dangling over the washout. All the functional land bridges and sand ladders are steel or aluminum and much longer than 3-4 ft. If you plan on briging anything bring along a pair of trailer ramps they would hold up much better than something plastic made for being stuck in sand or mud. Ive tried them and found that for the money they dont do anything i cant do with weather tech floor mats or a good shovel and sticks. If by bridging you mean using em as a little ramp up a ledge because you dont have the clearance to go over the yes that will work until you have wheel spin and burn those plastic nubs off. Id trust a set of these much more 1000 lb. Capacity 10 in. x 84 in. Steel Loading Ramps, Set of Two

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey,
Currently have a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB Duramax. Stock except for Dean/Les Schwab Backcountry A/Ts (came with truck) in size LT275/70R18. Planning to get new Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws soon.

A few questions:
Thanks,

Jason

You'll be absolutely fine in Death Valley with a Duramax (I've run diesels since the 90's and a Duramax 6.6 for the last nine years) and whatever tires you've been running on your GMC Sierra. Carry a good spare, a portable air compressor, some extra fuel and keep your tank and jugs topped off.

You'll also be absolutely fine planning with just an atlas and paper maps if you want.

I did Death Valley in the 70's in a rwd Dodge Club Cab with regular highway tires, with no online maps, GPS or Garmin or Gaia and navigated the entire area successfully. Spent a lot of time running through Titus Canyon, a bunch of other "Jeeps and 4wd only" type trails, way backcountry and not, and spent many more weeks in surrounding desert environments back then, with no tech for nav.

I've done the same all over the deserts of America ever since.

To be perfectly honest, most of the gear folks think they should get, or have to have for adventuring because they see it online or around town on someone else's rig, really isn't necessary to get out there and have a very successful and rewarding trip.

Go and have fun, tread lightly, and leave no trace.