Backcountry road and 4WD trail book

• HTML tutorial

Aoran Zhang

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Michigan & China(Beijing)
Member #

Is there any good backcountry and 4WD trail book out there? Looking for a book that have all the trail info and trail difficulty label of the map that I can use during summer. Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
There are a few 4wd trail books, which area are you looking for?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
You should PM @Cort, he is from that area and knows places to go.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Reactions: GeoYota and Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
None that I know of. The laws are currently changing here in Michigan to be much more inclusive to off road vehicles. I’d wait for that to shake out, current legal ORV trails for trucks/suvs are slim pickings.

There are TONs of trails in the Manistee Forest/Weston/Cadillac area, you can download a lot of maps via GAIA GPS and print in PDF form.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

There are a few 4wd trail books, which area are you looking for?
How about NM and the southwest (CO, UT, AZ, etc.)? I know there are several. I recently got a couple of maps and map books for NM (like a gazetteer), but something specific with trails and roads would be even better for planning routes first time visits to new areas.

Any suggestions?

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
There are several books on Arizona. Best bet there is search on Amazon or Google search. Some of the books are dated but still useful. For Utah there is Utah Trails by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson. There are 4 books in this series, each one covering a region. Then there is 4wd Trails and Outlaw Hideouts of Utah. This book is more of stories of a club back in the 80's and 90's as they traveled around S.E. Utah. Interesting read and useful info in there. Another VERY useful resource for Utah is the website Expedition Utah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gregory Youngblood

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

There are several books on Arizona. Best bet there is search on Amazon or Google search. Some of the books are dated but still useful. For Utah there is Utah Trails by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson. There are 4 books in this series, each one covering a region. Then there is 4wd Trails and Outlaw Hideouts of Utah. This book is more of stories of a club back in the 80's and 90's as they traveled around S.E. Utah. Interesting read and useful info in there. Another VERY useful resource for Utah is the website Expedition Utah.
Thanks. The outlaw hideouts book especially sounds intriguing.