Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Hey everyone, I’m looking for some backcountry camping options for Thanksgiving weekend. I live in Charlotte so would like to stay within 5-6 hours of Charlotte. I have a 2017 Silverado Z71 4x4 with a 2.5 inch leveling kit but don’t want anything too crazy in terms of off roading as I’m still learning plus don’t have the capable tires for that just yet.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Also anyone who would be interested in joining are welcome!

brobin15

Rank V
Launch Member

Benefactor

California, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Hey everyone, I’m looking for some backcountry camping options for Thanksgiving weekend. I live in Charlotte so would like to stay within 5-6 hours of Charlotte. I have a 2017 Silverado Z71 4x4 with a 2.5 inch leveling kit but don’t want anything too crazy in terms of off roading as I’m still learning plus don’t have the capable tires for that just yet.

I did some backpacking in Big South Fork. Not sure if there is really any areas there for your truck to traverse. But loved hiking there!

MartinN999

Rank 0

Contributor I

I’m also in Charlotte, looking for the exact same thing. I’ll be checking on this thread to see about recommendations. Thanks for posting the question.

Reactions: JButtress

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Well for Thanksgiving I gave up and booked a campsite at Uwharrie haha. But for the future I’m definitely interested to start getting out there.

MartinN999

Rank 0

Contributor I

I’d prefer west Carolinas over east, but only due to proximity. I have no idea about any hot spots for back country camping in the Carolinas, so m looking for ideas.

SCtundra

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

mrytle beach
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Rea
Member #

I’d prefer west Carolinas over east, but only due to proximity. I have no idea about any hot spots for back country camping in the Carolinas, so m looking for ideas.
Any where off of the blue ridge park way and Boone to Gatlinburg there is a lot of trails through pisgah and nantahala

Reactions: Eric Neal

GunDude

Rank V

Influencer II

You could go to Richland rd in Blowing Rock, NC and then camp at Price Lake camp ground. Couple of technical spots. There is also Brown mountain OHV part also near Blowing Rock. There are a couple of camp sites at the begin of entrance. I have camp there but did not do the trail. Stock truck should do fine there from what I have look at on YouTube! I am looking to go somewhere on 12/8? Might have to go to Uwharrie? If nothing else.

cumminsdieselfreak

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

NC
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Letterman
Member #

You could go to Richland rd in Blowing Rock, NC and then camp at Price Lake camp ground. Couple of technical spots. There is also Brown mountain OHV part also near Blowing Rock. There are a couple of camp sites at the begin of entrance. I have camp there but did not do the trail. Stock truck should do fine there from what I have look at on YouTube! I am looking to go somewhere on 12/8? Might have to go to Uwharrie? If nothing else.
Richland Road is closed.

SCtundra

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

mrytle beach
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Rea
Member #

Are these just regular topo maps? or something more specific for overlanding? I've been trying to find more maps to utilize. Also thinking about the GAIA App subscription as well
They are maps other members have made and I’ve pieced them together. As far as the Gaia I have a subscription and love it.