Dallas Oregon
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Gaither
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7SBN
The question: What type of Axe do you carry and why?

Hi folks, I'm hoping to get some collective wisdom on which type of Axe is better for our overland use.

Certainly a "Chopping" axe would be the right tool for felling a tree or creating passage through a section of downed tree...

And a Splitting "Mall" Axe is the right tool for splitting sections into smaller, burnable chunks.

But I usually only see one axe mounted on a rig and am now wondering: Of the folks that a pick just one, which one do they pick?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
I carry a Granfors bruks small forest axe, and a Silky hand saw. After using a fine Swedish steel axe, there's no better in my opinion. And a folding hand saw makes quick work of smallish trees. I've always got one or the other, usually both in my truck at all times. If that's out of the price range, buying an older American brand axe and rehandle it yourself. I honestly have dozens I've redone and would gladly carry any one of them rather than a new plastic handled.....paper weight.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I carry a Granfors bruks small forest axe, and a Silky hand saw. After using a fine Swedish steel axe, there's no better in my opinion. And a folding hand saw makes quick work of smallish trees. I've always got one or the other, usually both in my truck at all times. If that's out of the price range, buying an older American brand axe and rehandle it yourself. I honestly have dozens I've redone and would gladly carry any one of them rather than a new plastic handled.....paper weight.
I've got a similar one, their outdoor axe. I find it fantastic for small chores and tending fire. The steel is awesome.

I recently picked up the Max Axe after it was recommended from a friend in the military. Only used it twice but I like all the features, as well as the case for holding all the attachments. Cuts down on having to store separate full-sized implements.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I carry a double sized axe. One side for chopping and other side for splitting. And for Zombies man...or Demogorgons. HAHAHAHAAA

Reactions: FredBull

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
I am thinking about adding the Silky Ibuki to my too box. I have used this saw at a previous job and liked how it cut. They do make folding saws that work just as well.
.upload_2017-11-20_10-36-57.jpeg

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Camping in Australia, a hardwood handle is a necessity. Our fire fodder is far too hard for anything less, I have an 80cm Cyclone Axe with Australian hardwood handle, I mostly carry a Sneddon Razorback, a beautiful handmade 40cm hatchet. I also carry a Silky Gomboy for sawing. Considers most timbers thus far as butter. Curved blade and hardwearing Japanese crafted.

jcline

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Rafael, CA
Member #

I've got a greensland pattern axe by condor knife and tool. It's more of a hatchet as far as I'm concerned but it's a great camp tool. Awesome quality for the price and built the old school way. You're not gonna fell a tree with it in record time but it'll break down split stuff or small logs in a hurry.

Not sure what to do about splitting bigger stuff yet. My last trip out to Mendocino I really could have used something more serious.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Paladin2020

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Service Branch