Awning Sag

• HTML tutorial

raycie

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kapolei, HI
Member #

ARB awning... water pools in the middle and causes a sag. Over some hours, starts to drip in and onto the ARB room.

Any ideas to help the water drain off other than having one corner lower than the rest? Thought about a pole in the middle to create a ridge, or at least stop the pooling?

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I have another brand of awning and tied a piece of string diagonally across between the pole and the roof rack under the awning. Keeping it taught as possible and tight to the canvas reduced pooling.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 1Louder

RCJEEP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Salkum, WA
Member #

I would just use a telescopic pole for the middle. I use a painters pole with a cloth to dampen the end. Yes you have the pole in the middle to walk around but placing on or to the side of your table avoids that, then you can attach lights to the pole or paper towels, etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Tim

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

Something I've seen on the Australian sites lately are "awning rafters". It's a telescoping curved pole you run down the middle of your awning. It requires a small bracket on the bag side and drilling a hole in the end section. I looked for something similar made here in the U.S. but as usual the Aussies are light years ahead of us here in the states.

Here's an example:

-Curtiss

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
My DIY awning has enough adjustments to keep the tarp taught on all edges to avoid drooping in the center, but having some slight dip on the end would aid in allowing the water to run off.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Something I've seen on the Australian sites lately are "awning rafters". It's a telescoping curved pole you run down the middle of your awning. It requires a small bracket on the bag side and drilling a hole in the end section. I looked for something similar made here in the U.S. but as usual the Aussies are light years ahead of us here in the states.

Here's an example:

-Curtiss
Awesome!