Looney2n

Rank 0

Contributor I

Lawrence , KS
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Smith
GX470 has the barn door rear and need protection there. I sleep inside with my 45L refrigerator and enter the rig through driver side rear door. I really like walls on the ARB but also love the wing wrap around theory, but not sold on wall and the way they function. Would love to hear your comments..Thanks

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I'm a big fan of the minimum viable product method of gear selection but I do also like some convenience and luxury. A 270 is nice when camping with several people or when you want to add walls to build a private living space but a standard awning will generally suffice for my needs. I don't want the extra weight or expense for something that adds only marginal benefit. i need sun and rain protection but I don't need complete coverage of the truck and IMO, a square awning with optional side panels that can be angled out provides better coverage than a 270 alone. Additionally, those side panels can be moved to adapt to changing conditions.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Tarp, guy lines and a couple of painter's poles. Attach the tarp to your vehicle however you can come up with then roll up the poles and guy lines into the tarp and bungie them to the vehicle. when you get to where you want to setup undo the bungies, roll out tarp, guy it out and boom awning for 50 dollars.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’ve looked at both to mount on my teardrop. I like the 180 concept, but they don’t project out far at all. I’m probably going to do the 8 by 8.5 ARB piece when the time comes.

Reactions: RoarinRow

ChambersFamily

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Plains, OR, USA
First Name
Marshall
Last Name
Chambers
Member #

We have a Standard cvt awning on the side of our truck. It works well, its the first thing to go out when we get to a spot. But we find our family huddled under it when it's hot or rainy. We usually have a table setup and it's just crowded, and when we cook on the tailgate it's wide open. So we will be switching to a 240 simply for the added room and coverage while cooking.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
It’s just the two of us so the reason we have just a standard awning is twofold. The big awnings are really heavy and bulky and we try to control how much weight we have up top. And, for the two of us, the standard awning supplies plenty of shade, or to keep us dry.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

It depends if I am posting up for a week or more ,or road tripping. If I am posting up I bring a swap meet style awning, it 15’ X 15’ and has a truck tarp roof and backside.It’s great takes about 45 min to put up solo. Has been 60 mph winds.
if I am road tripping 10 X 12 silver tarp attached to the racks and tent polls staked out.