• HTML tutorial

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

What is the highest wind speed you have had your awning up in? I've only used it when it's calm outside. I'm taking my kids out on an overnight trip and was planning on using my ARB awning room. I will have it guyed down. The forecast is calling for winds between 10 and 20 mph, and it's there desert, so there is no where to hide from the wind. Anyone with experience think it will be able to handle those winds?

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
I have used ours in at least that much wind in Death Valley. It will be noisy, but if you use all the guy lines and stakes it will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daryl 32

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Stake it down well. It can act as a big sail and the gusts can lift it. Desert wind is unpredictable and changes direction all the time. The material can handle a lot. Stake the guy lines and anchor the poles.

Reactions: Sparky

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

I would reinforce the aluminum backing at the mounting point. Most of the awnings I have seen( ARB, Smittybuilt, ect..) only have a couple of cheap rivets holding it together and would probably not hold up to constant wind over long periods of time.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I’ve had my arb in higher winds than that but it was downwind of my truck. it was well staked and held up fine all day, but it was so noisy at night I couldn’t sleep with the the thought of it getting loose and beating itself all over my truck in the middle of the night so I had to climb down from the rtt at 2am in my skivies to put it away so I could get some sleep. Now if it’s windy in the evening I just roll it up real quick so I don’t have to lose sleep over it again.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Given the ferocity of winds, especially in arid areas where it favours no direction I have opted to not pitch the awning on the tent. I also park the vehicle parallel with the tent as close as possible to act as a windblock. I have a Hannibal legless awning on the vehicle and have used it under strong winds without issue

If you have to pitch an awning in wind, keep it low, short and multiple guy ropes to spread the load.

ETA: pack everything up overnight, save the stress of hearing things blow about or any buffeting tent/awning walls knocking anything over

Reactions: Sparky

accelerometer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

San Francisco, CA
Member #

I use my ARB Awning Room as our main tent all the time (Cant fit a RTT tent in my garage). Spent at least 30 nights camping in it in the deserts and mountains of CA, AZ, UT, OR, WA and British Columbia. There were only two nights I had to sleep in the truck because of winds being too strong (30-40mph). It has held up fine!

BillB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chesapeake, Virginia
Member #

I use my ARB Awning Room as our main tent all the time (Cant fit a RTT tent in my garage). Spent at least 30 nights camping in it in the deserts and mountains of CA, AZ, UT, OR, WA and British Columbia. There were only two nights I had to sleep in the truck because of winds being too strong (30-40mph). It has held up fine!
Same. The ARB room is my main tent. The wind tends to push in and is noisy. I’m also unable to open or close windows from the inside. I set storage bins around the base of the tent to hold back the sides and move the cot to the center. I am set up to sleep on a platform inside the FJ if very bad weather is forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

BillB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chesapeake, Virginia
Member #

I'm considering adding a good roof rack + RTT or just a good ground tent in place of the ARB room for sleeping. The ARB awning room is great for a rainy day and as a hangout. It gets very hot inside during the summer; I would try to get it packed up early in the morning. Not safe enough for me in high winds.

@Kevin108 - You may know the drill... good trails are 4+ hours to the mountains from Virginia Beach (to GWNF) or its an hour or two down to drive on the beach in OBX. Going to CO / MOAB / Canyonlands, Island in the Sky was a dream trip for myself and my son. You don't see many overland builds in Hampton Roads. Planning for CO / WY/ MO + Grand Teton / Yellowstone / Bad Lands - 6000+ mile loop for 2018. 2016 and 2017 were 5000 and 6000 miles round trip. Did CO / TX / Big Bend / New Orleans last year.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I am familiar with GWNF and OBX. Dozens of trips to both over the years. Being into 4x4s is kind of a dumb hobby for anyone in Tidewater, but it's working out for us! I'd love to see more of you pics from out west. I haven't settled on exactly where, but I know that's where we're headed when I retire.

Reactions: BillB