Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Sorry if this has been covered but I’m new here and to overlanding. I see a lot of good things being says about Gaia but I’ve got no experience with it. I’m very familiar with Avenza and use it a lot with my job. Are they essentially the same or is Gaia that much better for overlanding? I use a Samsung Tab for Avenza and also use an iPhone 11 for Avenza so I have both platforms. Any input is appreciated.

cosmoblu

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Olive Branch, MS
Member #

Never used the Avenza, but I can tell you that the Gaia works very well for me. Making tracks, downloading tracks from someone else's ride, downloading the Maps for when you are out of service. I would only say that if Avenza has similar features and you are familiar, you may be best to stay with that. I would not say I am savvy by any stretch, but I continue to learn more about how to use it. That has been the biggest challenge I faced. I do pay for the subscription to Gaia so that provides additional benefits.

Paratus Outdoors

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Oshkosh, WI, USA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Brockdorf
Member #

I personally use both. I will use Gaia for exploring and picking where to go. I will use Avenza for places like National Parks/Monuments and specific NF MVUM maps once i get there.

Reactions: FlJeep and WTSMatt

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I personally use both. I will use Gaia for exploring and picking where to go. I will use Avenza for places like National Parks/Monuments and specific NF MVUM maps once i get there.
Maybe I’ll download Gaia and play around. I pay for the pro version if Avenza but if I’m able to wrap my non-technology brain around Gaia I’ll run both.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Before purchasing GAIA, consider this as well... OB1 is a navigational application that by next spring is going to out perform any other navigation application for Overlanding.

Reactions: TheRealMcCoy

robh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portsmouth, NH, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1BVL
Before purchasing GAIA, consider this as well... OB1 is a navigational application that by next spring is going to out perform any other navigation application for Overlanding.
Mike, that is interesting. I searched around a little and couldn't find any details on upcoming features of OB1. Is there a list/post somewhere?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Mike, that is interesting. I searched around a little and couldn't find any details on upcoming features of OB1. Is there a list/post somewhere?
There was a post on it about a year ago, before the app was even breathing. OB1 is first and foremost a navigational application tool, and secondary a social app. More information can be found On several of OverlandBound YouTube Chanel.

Reactions: robh

kimmonia

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Vacaville, Solano County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kim
Member #

This has been my experience thus far as well! I did just purchase a 5yr membership for Gaia though anticipating future adventures. I did download the free avenza maps for my local national forest.

Reactions: WTSMatt

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
I'm planning on exploring the TAT and other opportunities along the way this spring and was looking at buying the Garmin Overlander to load the maps/tacks from Sam but was also planning on getting Gaia for the Apple Carplay display and for anything off the TAT...But understand there are some tablets that can operate as a GPS too. I read an article that listed a few including some from MobileDemand that run Windows 10 but have built in powerful GPS receivers. I'm still navigating the forum looking for recommendations on GPS nav but thought I would comment on this thread since it was relatively fresh.

Reactions: FlJeep

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
I like the vanquisher 8 ultra. 4G plus windows. I have the galaxy tab A 8 inch which is on the list and it works really well. I wish It had a compass inside however.
I am comparing the Vanquisher 8 Ultra Rugged and their Industrial Rugged now...looks like the Industrial runs a true version of Windows 10 Pro and it gives you 3G/4G. They are $439 and $549 respectively on Amazon. I looked at the Galaxy too...I'm not that familiar with Androids as an Apple guy myself, can you add routes and tracks to your Galaxy? I plan on buy the GPS tracks from Sam for the TAT and know you can add them to the Garmin Overlander, but would like the added capabilities of a tablet but don't know if there are apps that will use loaded routes/tracks from an email or SD card.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
WIndows 10S can be switched to full pro for free, it's just a setting. With Gaia on my galaxy I can add routes etc. On my laptop I create routes on Gaia, they automatically show on the galaxy, then I can download the maps to the SD card in the tablet to use in the rigs. Creating the routes on the big screen is awesome and super easy. Gaia is the best mapping app I have used to date as it runs on everything and "talks" to each other. My galaxy is 4g as well so I have lots of extra stuff going on as long as I have signal.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
They are complimentary apps. I use Gaia way more than Avenza. It is much better for creating tracks, waypoints, blending map layers and so on. Avenza has some unique maps that are nice to have that other apps don't offer but I could always be just fine with just Gaia. Being a map geek I use both.

Bold statement on OB1 being better than anything in the future. They have done a good job so far and I look forward to seeing future changes. I probably won't switch but you never know....

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Bold statement on OB1 being better than anything in the future. They have done a good job so far and I look forward to seeing future changes. I probably won't switch but you never know....
we can hope, but I agree. that's a very bold statement with these other apps offering a ton of different map sources and overlays. And coming from a Canadian, I have very high doubts that OB1 will have anything remotely close to what Gaia does for a user in the north like me.

I love OB1 though as an app, makes it super handy to browse the forums and what not.

scgbiker

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Elko, NV, USA
First Name
Stefan
Last Name
Goehring
Member #

I use an Avenza Pro account A LOT for work because custom maps. 'Benchmark Maps' makes pretty good paper atlas' and they are digital now for most of the West. I would not bother with the 'recreation' maps they make but rather use the 'state atlas bundle'. Lots of rec sites included in it and great detail. Bonus for Android user: download google rewards in play store, take surveys, get store credit, buy maps.

Reactions: WTSMatt and Rath