Auxiliary power outlet for rear of JKU

• HTML tutorial

KY JKU Recon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kentucky
Member #

I am looking to install a dual battery system so that I can run my ever growing number of accessories off of one battery and not impact regular function of the Jeep. One of the things that I would like to do with the second battery is to have an auxiliary power outlet in the rear of my JKU. Specifically, I would like to be able to install a fridge and possibly other electronics in the rear storage area and have them powered by the second battery thru some sort of power outlet. My main question is about what products are available (or home grown solutions) for installing a power outlet in the rear of a JKU? If anyone has some experience with products they can point me to I would appreciate it. Also if anyone has suggestions on a dual battery system as well that would be great. As of now I am leaning towards the Genesis dual battery system.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Your easiest option would be to install a power inverter and just running the cables under the carpet, through the firewall, and to the battery. Depending on your specific plans, you may want to consider a pure sine inverter rather than a modified sine wave inverter. Unfortunately, the former tend to be considerably more expensive.

TJTigger

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Louisville KY
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Freese
Member #

I just bought the ARB wiring kit for my fridge. The outlet in the back was OK for running the fridge, but with the adapter ARB uses it wasn't as secure and would get jostled. Running a dedicated outlet just for the fridge gives me a sense of relief that it is still securely connected to power. Also the power cables to the outlet in the rear compartment are not designed for much of a load.