Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Trying to decide on making my own relay and fuse system to run aux lighting, or purchasing a pre-assembled system with backlit switch controller. I know that switch pro makes a nice unit, but I have also looked a the Auxbeam system. Auxbeam seems much more affordable for a budget conscious person like myself compared to the pricey Switch Pro system. The only downfall I see with running a system like this is if a relay goes bad, that circuit is done as the relays cant be replaced. Any thoughts, tips, tricks, or past experience on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: M Rose

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

Trying to decide on making my own relay and fuse system to run aux lighting, or purchasing a pre-assembled system with backlit switch controller. I know that switch pro makes a nice unit, but I have also looked a the Auxbeam system. Auxbeam seems much more affordable for a budget conscious person like myself compared to the pricey Switch Pro system. The only downfall I see with running a system like this is if a relay goes bad, that circuit is done as the relays cant be replaced. Any thoughts, tips, tricks, or past experience on this subject would be greatly appreciated!
I'll throw one more at ya that a few friends are using and I'm looking at getting is ( Trigger controller) all wiring stays outside and the switch unit is wireless control they also sell bluetooth relays if you want to wire your own set up. i have no experience with the bluetooth relays myself. best of luck

Reactions: bumpo83

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Here's what I went with. Made it a breeze to wire anything. Just make sure you've got everything fused up. It's not wireless but I think this will be way more trouble free. I've got a set of rigid pods in it, a pair of lightforce lights, among other things.

20191206_183012.jpg

20200201_104543.jpg

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Here's what I went with. Made it a breeze to wire anything. Just make sure you've got everything fused up. It's not wireless but I think this will be way more trouble free. I've got a set of rigid pods in it, a pair of lightforce lights, among other things.

View attachment 140216

View attachment 140217
I was thinking of doing something very similar to this, but adding a place for all of the relays to sit. I like the idea of being able to replace relays if they go bad, and that's my only hold up on the Auxbeam. The perk of the auxbeam system (or one of the similar setups) is not having a mess of switches in the cab. The LED backlit push buttons all in one nice ABS case is pretty clean and doesn't take up any room at all.

Reactions: diabetiktaco

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I was thinking of doing something very similar to this, but adding a place for all of the relays to sit. I like the idea of being able to replace relays if they go bad, and that's my only hold up on the Auxbeam. The perk of the auxbeam system (or one of the similar setups) is not having a mess of switches in the cab. The LED backlit push buttons all in one nice ABS case is pretty clean and doesn't take up any room at all.
Yep, pros and cons to everything. I went with price and reliability. I've tapped some holes in my inner fender to mount the relays just haven't actually put them in yet.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am building my own auxiliary system...I had similar requirements, replaceable relays, upgradable easily in the future , compact, waterproof, and cheap. Also running my wires to a custom overhead console for switch panel and coms along with to my roof lights, I needed the wiring harnesses themselves be as compact as possible to fit under the plastic trim pieces.

Power Distribution Center

MICTUNING 12-Slot Relay Box,6 Relays,6 ATC ATO Fuses Holder Block with 41pcs Metallic Pins for Automotive and Marine Engine Bay

ONLINE LED STORE 10 Pack Bosch Style 5-Pin 12V Relay Switch [SPDT] [30/40 Amp] 12 Volt Automotive Relays for Auto Fan Cars Installerparts CAT 6 RJ45 Shielded Industrial Panel Mount Keystone Punchdown Jack IP67 Waterproof - Professional Series Network Connectors - Black MOTOPOWER MP69156 Boat Battery Switch Battery Isolator

Jiaying Rocker Switch Panel Aluminum Marine Boat Rocker Switch Panel 6 Gang with Dual USB Slot Socket + Cigarette Lighter + Digital Voltage Display LED Light for Car Rv Vehicles Truck
(Red & Black) 5/16" 4 Stud Power Distribution Block -BUSBAR- With Cover

I didn’t get any of these items off of amazon, I was able to find all of these items cheaper at other online stores I only posted the amazon links for reference. I buy all my bulk wire at waytec wire.

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

I am building my own auxiliary system...I had similar requirements, replaceable relays, upgradable easily in the future , compact, waterproof, and cheap. Also running my wires to a custom overhead console for switch panel and coms along with to my roof lights, I needed the wiring harnesses themselves be as compact as possible to fit under the plastic trim pieces.

Power Distribution Center

MICTUNING 12-Slot Relay Box,6 Relays,6 ATC ATO Fuses Holder Block with 41pcs Metallic Pins for Automotive and Marine Engine Bay

ONLINE LED STORE 10 Pack Bosch Style 5-Pin 12V Relay Switch [SPDT] [30/40 Amp] 12 Volt Automotive Relays for Auto Fan Cars Installerparts CAT 6 RJ45 Shielded Industrial Panel Mount Keystone Punchdown Jack IP67 Waterproof - Professional Series Network Connectors - Black MOTOPOWER MP69156 Boat Battery Switch Battery Isolator

Jiaying Rocker Switch Panel Aluminum Marine Boat Rocker Switch Panel 6 Gang with Dual USB Slot Socket + Cigarette Lighter + Digital Voltage Display LED Light for Car Rv Vehicles Truck

I didn’t get any of these items off of amazon, I was able to find all of these items cheaper at other online stores I only posted the amazon links for reference. I buy all my bulk wire at waytec wire.
Looks like a lot of the same products I have looked at! With the addition of a Blue Sea Systems fuse block. What are you using the CAT6 connectors for?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Looks like a lot of the same products I have looked at! With the addition of a Blue Sea Systems fuse block. What are you using the CAT6 connectors for?
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
So a relay’s purpose is to take a low amp input and turn it into a high amp output. The LEDs in the rocker switches draw less than an amp with all of them turned on, so no need for anything more than 22 gauge wire to feed the relay trigger. A Cat6 cable has 8 30 gauge wires, so I paired them up to make 4 wires. I always feed my switches to the ground side of the relay trigger when I can, this means all I need is a single ground wire running from a common ground and a small capacity wire to run the positive side for the led lights.

this is going to allow for easy expansion in the future as well as keeping the spaghetti mess minimal.

Reactions: grubworm

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

View attachment 140235View attachment 140236View attachment 140237
So a relay’s purpose is to take a low amp input and turn it into a high amp output. The LEDs in the rocker switches draw less than an amp with all of them turned on, so no need for anything more than 22 gauge wire to feed the relay trigger. A Cat6 cable has 8 30 gauge wires, so I paired them up to make 4 wires. I always feed my switches to the ground side of the relay trigger when I can, this means all I need is a single ground wire running from a common ground and a small capacity wire to run the positive side for the led lights.

this is going to allow for easy expansion in the future as well as keeping the spaghetti mess minimal.
Thats awesome! I have never thought of this before!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thats awesome! I have never thought of this before!
I hadn’t either. I tried searching the internet for someone doing this before, and if it has been, the process hasn’t been documented. Once I get all the parts located, I will be doing a whole documentary on it as part of my build thread.