Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Curious to hear some input on this. I'm shopping for my first rig, lookin at 2012 and up jk jeeps, fj cruisers, and 4 runners. A few I've seen that I liked are manual. Not sure if it matters, just wondering what preference is for trails.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I like them both. I have "farmer's knee" as we call it in the family, and after 30 years of pushing clutches, my knee starts aching after a little while crawling around or driving in traffic with one so I'm all automatic now. It's all in what you like though!

You can push start a manual transmission, assuming you have enough power to spin the fuel pump. Automatics don't pop out of gear when you stick them in park on an incline.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

My first car was a stick and that's how I learned to Drive. I did enjoy it when I was younger. But now that I'm older , I prefer an automatic over a manual transmission since its easer.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

In 47 years of legal driving, the 4Runner is my first automatic car. I found with the previous vehicle (5-speed turbo Subaru) that I had to slip the clutch too much at low speed uphill driving. Then and there I decided to get an automatic for my next vehicle.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Overall, I'd say an automatic is the most common. But if you get down to one club, like for hardcore Jeeps, most of them might be manuals.

Manuals can do better at lower rpms, but there's the chance of stalling. Getting straight up and over a large obstacle can be tricky with the gas and clutch pedals. Sometimes you just have to pop over, where the torque converter of an auto can slowly build up the torque to climb over. A stall during a failed hill climb takes a special technique. Apply the foot brake (don't touch the clutch), press in the clutch, shift firmly into Reverse, take your foot off the clutch, slowly release the brakes and allow the transmission to hold the vehicle (assuming sufficient traction), or release all the way and give the key a quick turn, the engine should turn right over. Now you have power steering, brakes etc for a controlled descent. Keep the use of the brakes as little as possible.

Automatics avoid these issues, but that doesn't mean you keep the transmission in D all day out on the trail. I'm constantly shifting gears with my auto. Shifting up for up hill climbs, shifting down to make the descents. Driving over obstacles or in varying terrain still keeps you on your toes. If you have an auto and want some of that manual feel, try Brake Throttle Modulation. It's not exactly the same as driving a stick, but you are using two feet:) One thing that can be annoying is an unwanted gear shift climbing a sand dune. The D2 has an M/S button (Manual in Lo range/Sport in Hi range). When in Manual, it locks the transmission in the gear you've selected. It won't do any shifting on its own.

Now, if you have the option of a diesel engine mated to a manual, then it's a no brainer. Manual!

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

My daily driver is a 2014 Hyundai accent 6 spd manual. My overland/camping rig is my 2004 dodge ram 2500 diesel with a 6 spd manual and granny low 1st. I wouldn't have it any other way...

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

In 47 years of legal driving, the 4Runner is my first automatic car. I found with the previous vehicle (5-speed turbo Subaru) that I had to slip the clutch too much at low speed uphill driving. Then and there I decided to get an automatic for my next vehicle.
Trading in my turbo wrx towards whatever I decide on. I appreciate all the feedback. Seems it's more preference, but an automatic makes it a bit easier it seems.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Trading in my turbo wrx towards whatever I decide on.
Yea, that's a low one. I had a 2002 WRX Wagon that I lowered and stiffened for autocross. That was so low I had to drive the front onto a 2X4 to get the floor jack under the lip. :) The 5-speed turbo Subaru I was offloading was a 2008 OBXT that I'd lifted. Plenty of clearance, no low end grunt. Sold both recently to get the 4Runner.

Reactions: dj_mccomas

gotricesmurf

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX
Member #

My 2015 JKUR is a manual, I chose to have 6sp bc I've always drove manual except 1 of my past cars but I wish it was manual.
Try asking friends who might own either type of rig to take you out and let you drive. From there you can make a better decision on which trans to go with.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
When it comes to keeping an automatic cool, paying attention to your rpm and manually setting gears during long pulls is key. If you notice your transmission changing gears a lot on a climb, move the gear selector to the next lowest gear. Shifting back and forth (shuttling) and running a gear too high so the torque converter is unlocked are the main sources of heat in an automatic.

Follow the manufacture's recommended fluid change intervals, which there are sometimes several options based on use. A general use, heavy traffic/towing, and severe use interval aren't unheard of, so be sure to read your manual and pick which one you are. Manual transmissions are subject to similar "de-rating" of fluid intervals, but are more forgiving of ignoring them. Stacked plate external coolers (the tube/fin type aren't really worth the effort to install) are also a plus. B&M makes a great cooler, I have the 2nd largest one on my K5. There are a few lines of thought on installing them, I prefer to install them before the factory radiator cooler so the excess heat is removed but the fluid is maintained at a good operating temperature as the factory designed it. This lessens the load on the factory cooling system in the summer but keeps the temps up to levels where the fluid lubricates and flows properly in the winter. I would also recommend installing a transmission temperature gauge with the sender mounted in the transmission pan, submerged in fluid at all times.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I prefer manual. Every auto I have owned has had issues and repairing an auto is near 3x the cost of repairing a manual.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Lots of good advice here. The recent purchsse of my 2nd 4Runner was the first time I wasnt daily driving a manual transmission, and honestly I miss it. I commuted with two Turbo MR2s, a Suzuki Samurai, a motorcycle, and a 5spd Honda Fit, and loved them all.

However, autos do make life easier both on and off road (especially when you understand how to minimize stress on it while making it work for you).

One note is on pretty much every SUV that is not a jeep, an auto will have higher resale value these days.

So it really comes down to this: if you want a manual, then get it, but you really shouldn't feel obligated to get one for some perceived advantage. I used to get roughly the same fuel efficiency (45ish mpg) hypermiling my wife's automatic Civic as my 5Spd Fit.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I went manual in my two JKs because it was less expensive. A bonus was that I pay more attention in traffic, and especially offroad. Any future vehicle however will be auto because my knees aren't big fans of the manuals.

OutlawTJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Inwood, Ontario Canada
Member #

Honestly it all comes down to your preference. The most common would be automatic. But me personally I like to challenge myself with clutch control as well as paying attention to where my tires are and my line etc. automatics are generally easier. But I love my 5 speed TJ. It's all up to you though!

Thanks,

OutlawTJ
OB #4407