Auto Vent of Fuelpax?

• HTML tutorial
I have 2 Rotopax Fuelpax gas cans in a carrier mounted to rear door hinge. They bulge significantly with altitude and temperate change. Im worried they will crack or burst. I am at every stop im loosening the caps to equalize.

What do you think about drilling a small 1/16" hole at the top and covering with Gorilla tape to let it self vent? Or do you have other solutions for auto venting? thanks!

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

as much as they charge for plastic cans with shavings still inside... you'd think there would be a vent built in.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I have the same issue with mine in Florida heat. I deal with it by cracking the lid once a day to release the pressure. I'm going to go to the hardware store someday and look for some type of simple valve that would work

But it's not really a big deal for me

Jeep backroads

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk
Putting vents on them would cause gas to leak out when driving. Most new plastic gas cans have to pass test . I read about it somewhere online while researching fuel storage . I finally upgraded to the metal cans and that solved my problems.

woody

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

SAN DIEGO,CA
Member #

An interesting observation made by more than one overlander is they bulge when filled with 87 octane but not when filled with 93 octane. Sounds flukey to me but others swear by it.