Auto maker customer service. Have you had great experiences?

• HTML tutorial

TJDon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6TUI
This may or may not be overland related. But because there is so many makes and model vehicle ownership here, should have some good feedback

What auto maker has given you outstanding customer service? Mostly beyond the dealership experience. Have you had to make contact with corporate to help resolve issues?

I’m more interested in the brands that have trucks I’d like to possibly own.
Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Jeep (gladiator)

I currently have a Ram and recently had very unpleasurable experiences with corporate (I know FCA is also Jeep)
Look forward you what you all have to say and your good, bad or indifferent dealings you’ve had

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

I’ve had one. Went to the Ford dealer and said something was wrong with my tires. Too much bounce. They said it’s under 600 miles we can’t to anything till the tires seals. ??? Ya right. So I came back at 605 and said well it’s still vibrating. Then they said it’s the type of fwy I was driving on.. ??? Ugh no.... so I said it needs to be balanced. They left me sitting in the waiting room for over 2 hours and then said all done. We checked all the tires NPF?? Not... I drove straight over to Discount Tire. They gladly rebalanced all the tires. One was over an ounce off. What you say!!! Ya I drive immediately over to the dealer and showed them. They paid me for the Discount Tire service. FACE!! I proved my point. Very upsetting that they lied.

TJDon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6TUI
I’ve had one. Went to the Ford dealer and said something was wrong with my tires. Too much bounce. They said it’s under 600 miles we can’t to anything till the tires seals. ??? Ya right. So I came back at 605 and said well it’s still vibrating. Then they said it’s the type of fwy I was driving on.. ??? Ugh no.... so I said it needs to be balanced. They left me sitting in the waiting room for over 2 hours and then said all done. We checked all the tires NPF?? Not... I drove straight over to Discount Tire. They gladly rebalanced all the tires. One was over an ounce off. What you say!!! Ya I drive immediately over to the dealer and showed them. They paid me for the Discount Tire service. FACE!! I proved my point. Very upsetting that they lied.
Seems automotive service has completely tanked over the last few years.

Reactions: TravelerGAL

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

[/QUOTE]
Seems automotive service has completely tanked over the last few years.[/QUOTE]

Especially when you know more than their trained mechanic. Just sayin....

Reactions: smritte

MikeW42

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Monument, CO
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Woodward
Member #

Fortunately I have had good luck with my local Ford and GMC dealers. Nothing crazy outside of normal scheduled maintenance though.

Little disappointed on mods they will do that are Overland related. Asked them to put in a couple of 12v plugs in to the bed of my 2019 Ford F150 and they referred me to a RV service shop. They offer these outlets in their trucks as options, but wouldn't do it.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Sooo. This hit's home for me.
I spent 30 years working for GM then finished my degree and now teach it. Out of H/S i started my classes to become an E/E. Life got in the way and I ended up at a dealer. This is what I have spent a lifetime watching.
The first thing that needs to be done here is separate corporate from dealer and dealer from tech.

Pre 1975, ALL the American and most of the Japanese put out what would today be considered inferior vehicles. People had a low expectation and the vehicles were only warrantied for 12 mo, 12k miles. Then the Japanese got smart and started making better vehicles at the same cost. The American corporate didn't. 1987, I had been working for GM for 10 years. Warranty was still 12/12. 12999 miles your done and no one cared. Under 12 miles I was seeing oil leaks, diff problems, window problems... by 50k you couldn't get me to touch an American car because it would disintegrate and you were blamed.

Something else happened in that decade. Electronics.

Here was how the typical tech was trained (all, not just dealer). You screwed around with your stuff and learned tools at an early age. If you could use tools and fog a mirror, you were a tech. You were trained by someone with normally 20 plus years in the field, who was trained by someone with the same. Notice I never mentioned formal training (school). They taught you all the backyard tricks but you never learned how things actually work. You got good at guessing and replacing parts.
Notice I never mentioned Electronic training. 80's-90's. The car lines were figuring out how to make electronics work. They failed alot. As a tech you had no formal electronic training and were trying to fix poor engineering. Sometimes throwing parts didn't work. What I had learned in electronics (4 years H/S, 2 collage) told me all we can do is try to make the failed engineering better.
Mid 90's. The corporate world see's this and offers what I learned in H/S, Collage. They shoved that into a 2-4 day class.
We still have people training the same techniques, replace parts.

Lets not get me started on "non factory mods" either.

The dealers are sales oriented, buy a car every two years, don't complain and send your friends over. The service department is NOT wanted. They only exist because the franchise agreement says they need one. As shop foreman, I went to the monthly meetings just to be berated for my department not making enough and how the lazy techs needed to work faster. The service manager is paid off the net income. The service department not only has to pay for itself but, has to pay ALL the bills for service, parts and sales. The manager is paid off whats left. Incentive to make the techs work faster, not better.

Corparate....wow. GM would pay me for diagnosing their screwed up electronics (one of my specialties). I could take my time, had access to great diagram's and good specialized training. 30 techs in the shop and two of us had formal electronic training. We had a higher average of trained electronic techs than most shops. Back to corporate. GM not only paid me well but would give the customer a rental car if it took too long. If it was a weird issue, I would have access to engineering if I needed it.
My buddy ran the Ford dealer down the street. Same size, volume and number of techs. Ford paid their techs "OK". The dealer had to pay for the rental car and most didn't. Their training was the same.
I have known quite a number of Chrysler techs over the years. They would always say the same when they came to work with me, "GM pays you to do that?". Chrysler didn't take good care of its techs, has horrible electronics and the worst diagrams I have ever seen. And they don't give the tech the support they need.

In a nut shell, the American car lines never produced a world class vehicle until the late 90's, early 2000. The techs have the opportunity for good training but most don't take it or are forced to take it and don't care. The Japanese lines are hit and miss depending on dealer attitude. Independents don't have access to the same info/training and most of the chains (firestone, pep boys, goodyear) will just throw parts you don't need because it pays better.

One of the responses mentioned a tire balance issue. That problem was bound to fail on several levels. First, the service writer wouldn't make enough commission and didn't care. Second, it went to the "lube tech" because he is normally paid by the hour (think no training at all) and he didn't care. When it came back, the manager got involved. I know this because you were reimbursed.

Corporate may or may not care, most are getting better. American and most Japanese dealers are sale's oriented and don't care. Most techs are poorly trained, no formal schooling, struggling and don't care.

What I have posted here is actually one of my lectures for new students. Before COVID, I couldn't produce even partially trained people fast enough for the industry. The manufactures are tired of paying out Billions to techs who throw parts.
It's not a law but, you should have at least two years of formal automotive training at either a collage or a trade school before you fix cars. Notice I didn't say "work in a shop". The sad thing is, I can have as many as 30 students in a class, only 10% will really shine, 10% don't belong and 80% could do well if they apply them self. That 90% is the best I can do and it's still a small fraction.

TJDon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6TUI
I worked for FCA, Daimler, Chrysler or whoever happens to own them this year for 25 years as a auto technician. I recently left the dealer world just over a year ago (and have never been happier in my career than I am now!!). Anyhow. I’ve never been on this side of the spectrum being only a customer. I’m fully aware that dealers operation is separate from corporate as far as day to day business. But I am absolutely astonished how poorly the customer service was with FCA and lack of “give a sh*t” on my situation. The case manager straight up in more words or less said “there is nothing we’ll do for you”. No rental, no reimbursement for the tow, nothing. I did learn the FCA has recently moved with a new warranty claims company and they are super tight budgeted and not paying for rental assistance. Fortunately I’m not car poor and have a vehicle to drive to work. Also, the dealership my truck was taken too (5 hours from home) is 100% horrible about returning phone calls and letting me know what’s going on. The whole experience has been dreadful. Hence me asking if this typical of all/most manufacturers or I’m just the lucky one lol

Reactions: smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Little disappointed on mods they will do that are Overland related. Asked them to put in a couple of 12v plugs in to the bed of my 2019 Ford F150 and they referred me to a RV service shop. They offer these outlets in their trucks as options, but wouldn't do it.
Most american car lines don't wire there car's/trucks with the intent of another option. To do it correctly means they have to be able to warranty it. To do this, its possible you looking at another wire loom and a ton of labor. IF the tech knows how to do this, it will cost a fortune. If its installed and it's NOT using factory parts, another dealer doesn't have to touch it. The tech who installed it is the only one who will fix whatever goes wrong. Another tech will have an attitude about it and it will be band-aided.
This is why they referred you. This is also something I had to deal with. Somethings were easy and some were not.
Most Japanese vehicles use a single wire loom with pigtails. Same loom can be multi use. American will have different looms based on the options. As I said, this was my world forever.

Reactions: MikeW42

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Hence me asking if this typical of all/most manufacturers or I’m just the lucky one lol
I feel your pain. My experience was the same. I worked at two dealers (10 years and 20 years), have friends all over in dealers and independents. Very few were different.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

...On occasion I have helped customers through dealing with regional and corporate departments of different brands with warranty issues and the like. None seem any better or worse than another.

My advice is to assume all corporations are terrible and place profit over your wellbeing and satisfaction. That is until you raise your voice. It cost time and money to deal with angry customers and 99% never call corporate. If you make a big enough fuss, they will make it right most of the time (in my experience).

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeW42 and smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I can give only negative stories. However, Toyota seems to be solid with their campaigns and fixing known issues.
Toyota is one of the few manufacture's who will stop production when a major flaw is found. The American and some Japanese will keep producing vehicles with the flaw. It's now a "dealer problem". When the dealer fix's it, there only given parts to "bandaid it". This fulfills the obligation. What sucks is, most of the time the vehicle will not be fixed for 2-3 model years. Most of the time it's fixed when there is a body style change. When you hear about Toyota having 20k vehicles recalled, it's good to remember that you don't hear of the 10's of millions of American cars with recalls.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

So I do most of my own maintenance, and luckily also have in laws that own a mechanic shop. The only time when I go to the dealership is for recalls and when it was under warranty. Its been a little over 2.5 years and 50k miles later, I had to come in for 4 recalls and 2 warranty issues. With my little Subaru in 13 years went in once for the air bag warranty. Luckily, I have a great service rep near my house and have had no customer service issue when coming in, but not too thrilled the amount of times I have been to the dealership in under 3 years.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Ford, GM, and Dodge offer no warranty. It's worthless. Don't buy extended warranties. Save the money in the bank for repairs. Consider any warranty work decent luck, and move on. Know your vehicles likely faults before you buy it. These three companies don't care about you at all. But still make some of the best trucks. Consider anything nice from them, after the sale, as a bonus. Expect the worst when you budget anything.

Toyota is a little better. But most of those dealers are owned by the same guy that owns the GM dealer across the street.

Dealers sell cars. Service only exists to sell cars. Without the service department, nobody would shop there. People are catching on, and building and buying cars online, factory direct no haggling is the future. Dealers will die a slow death just like malls did. A dealer might have one technician that walks the walk, enjoys his job, and is indispensable. The rest are dregs, completely disposable and worthless knuckleheads. The guy behind the counter? He's there because he has no clue what's going on.

You'll know when you get the one good master tech. He'll meet you to talk, and will pimp slap the service writer if he interrupts. This guys back log is why your car has to sit in a lot for three weeks for a 4 hour repair.

Why only one decent tech per garage? Techs are expensive. Nobody wants this work. That one single tech is the only one that enjoys the dealership experience. The rest start their own biz. Usually including heavy trucks or heavy equipment. I moved on to emergency generators, and will move on to something classier when I can.

Your best bets:
-Find a dealer way out in the country with an enthusiastic master tech, and very slow business. Avoid busy city car shops at all cost.
-Find a private tech that works for himself.
-Fix as much as you can yourself.