San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB5TRA
I have to ask why do you believe you need em? Are you pulling livestock trailers through muddy fields? Are you doing serious rock crawling somewhere? I get wanting them id love for a front limited slip diff to be available for the colorado, but do you really need it and how often would you be using it?
I have just started recreational off roading in the last 6-8 months. However for work I spend a lot of time off pavement. Regardless, the fact is I won’t need them very often, but in 6-8 months i would have liked to have them 3 times to get me out of a jam. So if I use them 3-6 times a year to prevent a recovery situation and time spent on recovering great. And yes I know it’s not the great be all end all and I’ll still have recovery situations.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have just started recreational off roading in the last 6-8 months. However for work I spend a lot of time off pavement. Regardless, the fact is I won’t need them very often, but in 6-8 months i would have liked to have them 3 times to get me out of a jam. So if I use them 3-6 times a year to prevent a recovery situation and time spent on recovering great. And yes I know it’s not the great be all end all and I’ll still have recovery situations.
Im not knocking it, just wondering where your going that you need lockers. remember if your in the mud and 3 wheels are spinning with a locker 4 wheels will be spinning still going nowhere digging deeper, at which point more agressive tires or a way to winch out will be needed. Im no stranger to gettin past frame deep in nasty clay and getting out, we got black gumbo clay on top of slick grey clay in my part of tx i play on the red river too in the sandy sometime slick red clay.
Next time your stuck and 3 tires are spinning, lightly pump the brakes and it will send tourqe back to the 4th wheel.

Reactions: Tray

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Im not knocking it, just wondering where your going that you need lockers. remember if your in the mud and 3 wheels are spinning with a locker 4 wheels will be spinning still going nowhere digging deeper, at which point more agressive tires or a way to winch out will be needed. Im no stranger to gettin past frame deep in nasty clay and getting out, we got black gumbo clay on top of slick grey clay in my part of tx i play on the red river too in the sandy sometime slick red clay.
Next time your stuck and 3 tires are spinning, lightly pump the brakes and it will send tourqe back to the 4th wheel.
Eh, that brake pumping trick sorta works but even traction control systems capable of braking each corner of the car independent of the other wheels can rarely generate enough torque to move a vehicle forward up an incline when you're twisted up. Gear driven limited slips like the Detroit Trutrac are much better at using this technique then open diffs. But even that still doesn't beat even a lunchbox locker.