ATV's and Overlanding ....

• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I saw pretty bad to the bone 4wheeler decked out with storage all over it.... is there anyone here into such overland shenanigans? Clearly pavement travel would be a new animal... have to trailer it to a location and leave a rig parked.. "yikes"

i see the big decked out BMW all terrain motor bikes all the time... just wondering about ATV stuff... i guess location and permissions would be the biggest problem here... but on wide open Gov. land or what have you...

chew on it a bit and let me know what yall think

Reactions: AndyHernandez1

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I was pondering something similar to this yesterday as I was in bass proshop eyeballing the new wildcat side by sides.

The trailering and leaving my truck parked somewhere isn't a plus. I'd think it be fun to take 3 or 4 days rolling around on a at and camping

Reactions: IronPercheron

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I've got 30 acres of woods and a Polaris Phoenix 200 that is my daughters. But, she's not into it much so I ride it more than her. We're looking to buy another one, or a side by side, but MAN you can drop some coin on these things. I'm actually looking at the EL-CHEAPO Chinese ones just to zip around for a few years.

I'm just looking to build some memories before it's too late, not a long term investment on a toy.

http://www.ridewithchase.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=-406064&Brand=-8156&Type=1508&fpg=1

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Well, now I'm changing my mind and looking at a Kawasaki Brute Force 300. It'll be mostly for my wife, she likes the built on racks front and rear.

Sheeze.......

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
We have had ATVs for well over 2 decades. Had 600 acres, but now only 255 to play on. Good thing is several local counties now allow you to get a DNR sticker and ride the County Roads. Can make yourself some pretty good adventures, but still quite limited compared to a typical vehicle.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

We love quadding. We have a Honda 350 and a Honda 500... each with the extra seat on the back for the kids. I drive the 500 while my wife drives the 350.
Where we camp it's pretty remote so I don't worry too much about leaving my rig at my campsite.
IMG_20150722_075242.jpg IMG_20140824_135121.jpg IMG_20140824_144534.jpg P8210104.JPG

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

ATV's are a lot of fun, been riding quads and dirtbikes since I was 8. Haven't rode much in the last 4-5yrs sadly. They are fun but as an overland vehicle i don't know how well i'd like it, maybe an enduro bike would be fun.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

I have had a quad or side by side now for the last 16 years and I really enjoy them. They are great for utility work around the property or hunting if your area allows. You could build one up for extended trips if you can find places that would give you that much space to roam. But you would definitely have to travel super light.

Reactions: IronPercheron

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
I just started my Overland adventuring with my Polaris Sportsman, breaking it in today in the foothills of the Oregon Cascades.

Reactions: stoney126 and Kelly

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Reactions: Kelly

tarouszars

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spanish Fork, Utah
Member #

I saw pretty bad to the bone 4wheeler decked out with storage all over it.... is there anyone here into such overland shenanigans? Clearly pavement travel would be a new animal... have to trailer it to a location and leave a rig parked..
Missed this year because my wife had a baby but for the last 5 years or so my brothers and I have done something along these lines. We head down to the Paiute ATV trail and do a 2-300 mile loop over 3 days. This trail system and a few others in Utah surround towns that allow ATV's on designated routes. So we usually park the trailer somewhere and then drive around in the mountains only dropping into town once a day to fill up and grab lunch. Otherwise we eat and sleep out of our quads. We do have to pack lighter since we have less space but with dry foods you can easily cover 3 or 5 days worth of meals in a quad.

Here are a few pics from a trip a few years ago.

This picture shows my setup. Tent + Sleeping Bag + Tarp + Sleeping mat + 4 extra gallons of gas on front. Camp chair, Clothing, food, Cooking Supplies on the back.

I don't ride my quad nearly as much as I used too. It isn't very practical to haul the wife and kids around. That is one of the main reasons I got into overlanding was so we could experience some of the joy I had on my quad, but with more seating and storage for the whole family.

But if you ever get a chance to live days at a time out of a 4 wheeler I highly recommend it. They are a blast. I look forward to this trip every year.

xterramom

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Plympton, MA, USA
First Name
siobhan
Last Name
Green
Member #

We travel to upstate and bring our Honda ranchers 420. Awsome time trail running and mud flinging .... camping this summer in Vermont with them :)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Here in AZ most of the Atv owners have made theirs street legal. My friends and I used to go camping every month on them usually for 2 - 3 days. It was nothing for us to log 500 miles on them in a weekend. IMG_2170.JPGIMG_0759.JPG

Homebound

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Belgrade, MN
Member #

I'm starting to rethink the idea of getting lost in the backwoods somewhere. A quad would make the journey so much better. That's an excellent way to disappear for a week or so.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Qauds are a great form of tranport over rough ground. BUT ARE DANGEROUS GET TO KNOW THIER LIMITATIONS. THEY CAN ROLL IN SOME SIMPLE SITUATIONS GET TRAINING , BEFORE YOU ENTER THE BACK COUNTRY ALONE

Reactions: Homebound