Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles CA
First Name
Cesar
Last Name
Casasola
Member #

Hi guys need some help here my Fami and I took a road trip to Utah now got my check engine light on the nock sensor but like it said electrical pro broke right at the Enid the plug anyone can help me out or point me to the right person I’m here In Salt Lake City I would sopa any help or you guys can txt me at 818-2376745 to point me to the right person or anyone who can sale me at list the plug so I can do a quick fix and get back home safe thanks guys in addle the any help

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi guys need some help here my Fami and I took a road trip to Utah now got my check engine light on the nock sensor but like it said electrical pro broke right at the Enid the plug anyone can help me out or point me to the right person I’m here In Salt Lake City I would sopa any help or you guys can txt me at 818-2376745 to point me to the right person or anyone who can sale me at list the plug so I can do a quick fix and get back home safe thanks guys in addle the any help
Firstly, @Jim SoG can we move this to the appropriate forum location to gain traction.

Secondly contact @Neal A. Tew the Director for the Rocky Mountain Region so he can help get you in touch with members in the Salt Lake Area and get you back on the road.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@A-Aron & @Knitron

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Look up Cruiser Outfitters there in Salt Lake City. Kurt or his team can help you out for sure.

Navin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5VSH
So, does the engine start and idle? Also, what kind of vehicle, and do you have pix? If it's just a bad knock sensor then you can get away with driving it gently back home. The knock sensor senses, wait for it, engine knock. Engine knock occurs when the fuel/air mixture ignites before it's supposed to, ie before the spark plug sparks. This can happen, and these days usually happens, because people are running low octane fuel. Low octane fuel only "makes" less power because the engine knock sensor will retard the timing electronically to reduce knock, which has the net effect of the engine producing less horsepower.

Point being if you put in the highest octane you can get and drive gingerly home you should be fine. Normally the engine is only knocking on hard acceleration because of the lean condition this usually causes, but can be caused by carbon build up. If you drive gently you should be fine. Listen for the "pinging" sound from the engine, this is the engine knocking and if you do that too long you can damage the engine.

Navin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5VSH
Well I was thinking more about a pic of the plug, but hey, nice truck! So if the engine is running and you can't get it repaired there, you should be OK driving it back so long as you take it easy. As I said, if it's just a knock sensor, then get the highest octane you can buy, maybe buy some octane boost and drive it gently, meaning don't get too far into the throttle. Because that opens the butterfly and leans out the engine temporarily and makes the perfect conditions for knock to occur. And without a working knock sensor the engine won't automatically retard. Also, it's not like you hearing a few pings and the engine is dead. It normally takes lots and lots of pinging before an engine is damaged. Like LOTS. Normally.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
If I understand correctly, it's the connector that plugs into the knock sensor. Please confirm.

You can sometimes find replacement connectors at the auto parts stores. I'm trying to see what I can find, but I'm not a Toyota person. Check the red carded HELP section if you can't get counter help.

Reactions: Ubiety

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
It's possible you could come up with a temporary solution. I'm looking at online photos to see what kind of terminal is actually inside that sensor connector. I'm hoping you might use a terminal like one of these in the photo just crimped on the end of your wire.

You could test fit this with a new one at the auto parts counter.

Attachments

coruja08

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles CA
First Name
Cesar
Last Name
Casasola
Member #

Well is hard to find help when you don’t know the town I call cruiser outfitters they couldn’t help me out like most just told me to use high octane gasoline I should be fine to make it to LA . Hope Saturday everything even well

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Well is hard to find help when you don’t know the town I call cruiser outfitters they couldn’t help me out like most just told me to use high octane gasoline I should be fine to make it to LA . Hope Saturday everything even well
Are you interested in trying the solution I offered above? If so, I'll make a trip to the parts store, borrow a knock sensor and see what kind of connector I can jury rig to forward that information to you.

If so, send me your phone number, private message if you wish.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose