Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

From Annapolis Valley Anova Scotia; currently trapped in Prince Edward Island for employment purposes
My wife and I love NB and NS. I’ve been down many of the roads on gps that aren’t really roads wondering where they go, just two tracks through the countryside. Annapolis Royal is where I would move to. Next years destination again.

Reactions: Veinot

GreyMudder

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint-Louis de Kent, NB, Canada
First Name
Rino
Last Name
Granito
Member #

Finally made it to my new home in Saint Louis de Kent. a 15 hour drive from Montreal. LC has new 4.56 ring n pinion on 33 so a bit slower. Actually got 15 to 16 mpg on highway. Now in a 14 day quarantine, so biting my time.. Maybe we can organize a social responsible meet up . Nice to be in NB really nice folks here...

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

I would like to ask a question of the Atlantic Canada Members. I started a thread to get some advice on getting a Truck or SUV for light towing, maybe a boat, and camping/daily driver explorer vehicle. I am settled on a truck but still open to a Xterra or 4Runner as SUV options. Anyway; I set a budget and shopping commenced then COVID129 hit and that stalled me out because I couldn't leave PE to see in the surrounding provinces. Here is my question; VMR Canada provides me with used car prices and so does AutoTrader Canada and I have been using this guage what I can and cannot afford. According to VMR Canada a 2007 Toyota Tundra 107000km Limited is worth 12125 this is within the range auto trader provides. Here on the Island there are 3 Tundras for sale at $17995, a 2007 107000km that looks good I would say nice, 2010 140000km ish with a huge dent in the bumper, and a 2011 with 120000km I have not seen at all. Are they just listing high or are they out to lunch? or am I? I looked at a 2014 XTR F150 140000km they were asking 18900 and said "It is a really nice truck I would be impressed!", VRM Canada said 16600 retail so I went to see. Upon viewing it was a dude; paint was flaking everywhere undere the doors. The Right side of the engine was coated in coolant and oil mixed mess, must be a gasket leaking. The frame looked decent but was scaling. Those people told me to get a 4x4 truck that is in good enough shape where it will last another decade with good paint maintenance and undercoating I was looking at $32000 minimum.

I started shopping with a 12000$+tax budget and have cut home projects to bring the budget to 17600+tax and still not finding anything so my big questions I would like answered are; Are my aspirations exceeding my budget? What should my budget be for a decent 4x4 that can potentially last 10 years with dedicated cleaning and maintneance? Is VMR Canada a good indicator of value? Or are these dealers/sales people just crooks and I should walk in an immediately offer 5000$ less than asking price? Should I wait for borders to open? Will that stabalize prices? I see similar pricing in NS and NB but without seeing the condition of the vehicles I cannot tell if they are "on par" with what I am seeing; I can say from the pcitures the NS and NB vehicles look better.

Not all places are like this, there is one dealer that seems to only deal in used dodges that has pricing consistent with VMR Canada within $300 I have not gone to check out their stock because they are a bit out of the way but I am a little hesitant because a part of me asks "Why are they abnormally on par?".

Anyway I would appreciate some thoughts from other Canadians within the region; this isn't only my first truck but also the new Family car and I really cannot afford to have this go south on me.

Cheers!

GreyMudder

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint-Louis de Kent, NB, Canada
First Name
Rino
Last Name
Granito
Member #

Buying used I tend to look at the documented maintenance history, without one I walk away. I bought my Landcruiser 1997 with 450000 km but fully documented. No issues so far runs like a charm. But to be honest I do not understand your needs. Light towing How much weight how long and camping daily driver explorer machine. Tundras are nice but is it equipped for towing ? Is it a private sale ? How many owners ? Can you give more specifics

Reactions: rvrgrip and Veinot

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Well the tundra I am going to see this weekend, it is described as immaculately cared for and so far the pictures show it is very clean all original and has everything but navigation. As of now I am not towing anything and will be using the trucks bed for moving stuff and/or as an emergency sleeper in heavy rain. Future towing plans is under 7500lbs, as equipped the tundra can handle 10800lbs.
I'm just having a really hard time finding something worth the asking price that isn't near new and in the 30000 range. I was more looking for advice on what 12000, 15000, and 18000 should get me. Is 18800 a suitable price for a 2014 f150 with 145000km with paint peeling all around the lower doors, never undercoated, and rust into the door frames? What are reasonable expectations in price for something that is 4x4 has enough luxury to ferry a family for 8h and with proper preventative maintenance be usable for 8 to 10 years before needing to be replaced. Is that unrealistic for under 20000?I

I should clarify that I am going to see the 2007 Limited the 2010 was a wreck and the 2011 seems to have already sold; I will double Check when I am out that way over the weekend.

Last edited:

Roam Wild Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor I

Halifax, NS
Member #

I would like to ask a question of the Atlantic Canada Members. I started a thread to get some advice on getting a Truck or SUV for light towing, maybe a boat, and camping/daily driver explorer vehicle. I am settled on a truck but still open to a Xterra or 4Runner as SUV options. Anyway; I set a budget and shopping commenced then COVID129 hit and that stalled me out because I couldn't leave PE to see in the surrounding provinces. Here is my question; VMR Canada provides me with used car prices and so does AutoTrader Canada and I have been using this guage what I can and cannot afford. According to VMR Canada a 2007 Toyota Tundra 107000km Limited is worth 12125 this is within the range auto trader provides. Here on the Island there are 3 Tundras for sale at $17995, a 2007 107000km that looks good I would say nice, 2010 140000km ish with a huge dent in the bumper, and a 2011 with 120000km I have not seen at all. Are they just listing high or are they out to lunch? or am I? I looked at a 2014 XTR F150 140000km they were asking 18900 and said "It is a really nice truck I would be impressed!", VRM Canada said 16600 retail so I went to see. Upon viewing it was a dude; paint was flaking everywhere undere the doors. The Right side of the engine was coated in coolant and oil mixed mess, must be a gasket leaking. The frame looked decent but was scaling. Those people told me to get a 4x4 truck that is in good enough shape where it will last another decade with good paint maintenance and undercoating I was looking at $32000 minimum.

I started shopping with a 12000$+tax budget and have cut home projects to bring the budget to 17600+tax and still not finding anything so my big questions I would like answered are; Are my aspirations exceeding my budget? What should my budget be for a decent 4x4 that can potentially last 10 years with dedicated cleaning and maintneance? Is VMR Canada a good indicator of value? Or are these dealers/sales people just crooks and I should walk in an immediately offer 5000$ less than asking price? Should I wait for borders to open? Will that stabalize prices? I see similar pricing in NS and NB but without seeing the condition of the vehicles I cannot tell if they are "on par" with what I am seeing; I can say from the pcitures the NS and NB vehicles look better.

Not all places are like this, there is one dealer that seems to only deal in used dodges that has pricing consistent with VMR Canada within $300 I have not gone to check out their stock because they are a bit out of the way but I am a little hesitant because a part of me asks "Why are they abnormally on par?".

Anyway I would appreciate some thoughts from other Canadians within the region; this isn't only my first truck but also the new Family car and I really cannot afford to have this go south on me.

Cheers!
You're likely to get more input on this topic if you start it in a dedicated thread in the Atlantic Region Q+A Section

Reactions: Veinot