Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Are there any recommended smartphone/tablet APPs that will help a person identify planets, stars, objects in the night sky?

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

I use Stellarium, on my laptop. I also use Heavens Above to keep up on Satellites and the space station, they list "for your local" when and how brite it will be, Stellarium has same info and what they transmit on and who owns it. Stellarium lets you zoom in on all objects and will label them if you want...

RRitchey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sumpter Oregon, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Ritchey
Member #

I admit it, I am a sky nerd. Still learning and a beginner in the hobby, though. I have several telescopes, nothing too big or fancy yet, but collection is growing. I always try to take one of the smaller scopes or a good set of binos whenever we travel. If it is dark, I am staring at the sky. Of course 1/2 the time it is with a glass of wine or scotch and a cigar, but I love staring at the vastness of space and seeing what I can locate up there. I want to get in to astro-photography, just haven't had the time to dedicate to it yet. Love the pictures you guys are sharing.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Are there any recommended smartphone/tablet APPs that will help a person identify planets, stars, objects in the night sky?

I like StarWalk (iOS, tho think it's available for Android too) a lot. Matches the night sky as you hold your phone up (after moving your phone in fig 8 to orient it), and has been very helpful for constellations, individual stars, planets, Milky Way, etc.

I also use Moon and Moon Phase for lunar. Once you start getting into it, and lean more towards night sky photography needs or telescope needs, you'll find more and more for your particular style of night sky watching.

Here's a good link with an overview:

Here's an image I made last May:

roaddude_nightsky-altudapicnic-7731-6x9.jpg

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!