Armadillo Fuel Bag - Newest over hyped gear?

• HTML tutorial

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Saw the Armadillo Fuel Bags Armadillo Bag – RUGGED, EXPEDITION-READY LIQUID POWER RESERVOIR being hawked at the PNW Expo, and now they seem to be all the rage with the YouTubers. Thought to myself, this actually might be a cool piece of gear for my situation where I do not have much space on the back of the JKU for any gas cans. Would be nice to be able to carry a fuel bag rolled up and then fill it right before heading off on a long trail. Thought I could transport a 5 gallon one full in my spare tire bag. I even could deal with the $200 cost for the 5 gallon model. Then I was reading through their web site and it states that it is for safe temporary storage and transport of a broad selection of motorsports fluids, sounds great so far, then the big one "NOTE: Armadillo Bags are not portable fuel containers as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state and federal agencies. Armadillo Bags are NOT intended for fuel storage or transport in the USA" So what is it really good for? I am sure a lot of people do not care about it being approved and will use it for thier fuel, and likley never have a problem. With my luck my rig will get hit or in some kind of issue where the bag gets damaged catches fire and my insurance says sorry not covered lol. Funny how the sales rep does not mention that fact during thier pitch.

Any one thinking of getting one of these? Would the lack of approval in the USA be a deal breaker?

1659509361259.png

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have yet to find anything better than a steel jerry can. The military has used rubber bladders for many years, 100-1000+ gal size, very thick rubber. All the hard plastic cans suffer from fade, cracking and venting issues.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The concept for a fuel bladder isn’t new. Adventure Motorcyclists have been using fuel bladders for decades. Armadillo just became popular because they are brand new to the market and have fixes quite a few of the shortcomings of other fuel bladders.

Reactions: OTH Overland

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The concept for a fuel bladder isn’t new. Adventure Motorcyclists have been using fuel bladders for decades. Armadillo just became popular because they are brand new to the market and have fixes quite a few of the shortcomings of other fuel bladders.
I agree here.
Soft fuel bladders have been around for a bit. The first ones I saw were marketed toward the distance off road motorcycle crowd. Four to eight liter and would strap down on the back over your gear easily.
If I was to use them, they would end up inside a hard sided crate/container, taking up more room then a can would.
I do see a purpose but not for what I do.

Reactions: OTH Overland