Arkansas Ozarks Waterfall Chasing

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

This past weekend my wife and I braved the cold to head out into North Central Arkansas and see about visiting some waterfalls. A book has been written about all of the waterfalls in Arkansas so we purchased the book that came along with the coordinates and a description of each. I took the time last week to enter all of the coordinates for the falls in Arkansas into my Gaiagps app on my phone and tablet that would let us know always if we were in the vicinity of a waterfall.

This time of year is perfect in that we have had tons of rain so we set out on a route that I had preplanned so that we could see several. It didn't start out quite like we planned in that the freezing rain and sleet had everything frozen within the first 70 miles of our trip. But we pressed on. Heading north of Ozark from I-40 we found our first place to stop and go on a leisurely 2 mile round trip hike to see 3 waterfalls...2 small which led into one large (about 40 foot). So beautiful.
GRSL3690.JPG GBSB0394.JPG IMG_6718.JPG
IMG_6726.JPG

The next one (Mineral Springs Falls) was a little further up the road, and it was labeled as a "difficult bushwhack." He wasn't kidding. This was more like mountain climbing through bear country. The wife and I had a tough time but it was so rewarding when we arrived.
IMG_6742.JPG IMG_6738.JPG
IMG_6740.JPG

We made it to the Mulberry River and decided to set up camp for the night. Found a really nice spot right next to the water. We seem to sleep a little better when we can hear the water from the rapids rushing by.IMG_6747.JPG IMG_6759.JPG
Did a little exploring along the Mulberry River and found some good spots. Then we headed north up another road to find another little waterfall on the list. Spy Rock Falls.

IMG_6774.JPG IMG_6773.JPG OELQ4872.JPG
After seeing the first two this one was kind of disappointing. Need to go back when the water is a little more plentiful. Beautiful road going up to it though with a spectacular campsite that overlooks the mountains.

We went back down to the main highway and then made our way to High Bank Twins Falls. Very beautiful and pretty close to the road.

I'll post this waterfall in the comments below as the video is not ready.

Hope to see more waterfalls soon before the heat comes and the water goes away.

Attachments

Reactions: Jube and tchughes

Trowbocop

Rank III

Advocate II

Cool! Nice pics & good info. Wife and I will be headed through the Ozark Natl forest tomorrow for a few days. Have you been the the suspension bridge yet? Plan on checking out a few of the falls and hikes, weather permitting.

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Cool! Nice pics & good info. Wife and I will be headed through the Ozark Natl forest tomorrow for a few days. Have you been the the suspension bridge yet? Plan on checking out a few of the falls and hikes, weather permitting.
Not sure which suspension bridge you are talking about. I think there are several. Weather looks great for this week. Hope you've got the waterfall book. There are so many out there to see! Have a great time and be safe. We will be up at Mulberry River this weekend for the overlanding bonfire. Cant wait!

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

The wife and I set out again to go waterfall chasing this past weekend after the Natural State Overlanding Bonfire. We found the Waterfall Hollow Falls which were 3 different falls all located on the Ozark Highlands Trail. Very beautiful even though the ice storm a few years ago fell quite a few trees on the path and on the falls.
31682527_10156360258147277_7807737946365867934_n.jpg 31563943_10156360257502277_1640241295104596702_n.jpg CNHZ9615.JPG
Highway 123 Falls
IMG_6940.JPG And Haw Creek Falls
IMG_6930.JPG
We also saw a waterfall we have never seen and wasn't in the Arkansas Waterfalls Book
KIXY2010.JPG
Perfect weather. Have to get these falls in before the dry season! haha

Attachments

Reactions: Tim N Michele Davis